The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

You know omeg whats really funny, my wife was standing by me as I was reading the thread, she said wow I really like these guys, she said you guys are smart and thrifty, she said these guys are smart about not wasting money, so your comment was really an important one, keeps all of us on the ball to make sure we don't waste money foolishly, so yes it was a great question as she agees whole heartatlly, and she doesnt like anybody lol.

2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Well, my order is in, YES, IT AINT HERE YET!!

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Fred & Russ,

The only thing that stands out to me is the choice of ODD's. I'm not a fan of HP but I don't know which model those are really, so they could be good ones I guess. The LG GH20NS15 drives for $20.99 delivered were/are a steal. JM2ยข

....gm

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i must agree with my green friend from afar. your build looks great and should do you many a good things. but your burners you should have picked others. those HP drives arent the most reliable drive. ive had one..lol
    DH-20A4P
    or this one
    AD-7220S

tha NEC drive is a little more but is a good drive. i have recently gotten both these drives and love them both.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Rob, Buddy! How are ya doing? Feels like its been ages. LOL. Well...My package should be here within the hour. Oh boy oh boy, Im about to fly out of my chair here, LOL. You guys have no idea how anxious I am to get going on this badboy. LOL, I had a dream last night, That the mobo was packaged in an envelope. ONLY an envelope! Do you know how furious I would be? Obviously that wouldnt happen. But since I work at UPS, I see some pretty funny stuff from time to time.

6. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Fred,

Yes I know exactly what mean, I've made more trips to a store during some projects then I can remember. Things tend to slip my mind too which doesn't help lol.

As far as ODD go I just picked up SH-S203N for $21. The beauty about them is they're cheap so if it doesn't meet my expectations I'll just get a NEC, LG or maybe even Pioneer. Most people have two ODD anyway.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL. :D I have Nine. Please dont get the wrong idea. Theyve simply piled up, because each has their own quirks, Plus im picky, but dont wanna throw them away
    Sony DRU820
    Sony DRU830 X2
    Sony DRU840
    LG-GH22NP20
    Optiarc 7200A X2
    Lite-on LH-20A1H
    iHAP422

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I don't disagree with you guys, more than likely your probably right, actually Russ picked out a lite-on for me, reason I picked the hp, well I already have a brand new one still in the box I purchased from wall-mart about 6 months ago which I still can't believe I did, wall-mart YUK, I'm still a hard core retired union man, hell years ago if someone found out you shopped in a place like that you might of gotten smacked, but it was on sale for 30 bucks and I jumped on it.

My other two older PC's in the house both have the same model both are still running after an unbelieavable amount of burns by myself daughter and son so I figured why mix for now anyway, that hp will probably come in a bubble bag with no extra's, the new one has the instructions manual and a disc so that was my reasoning, just hope it will be a proper desision, if not I'm sure Russ will let me know first lol.

Other than that I'm really happy with my pick, actually with Russes help, I'm so happy he got involved in helping me because there is much not known here as Russ and I communicated much this past week and I'm so glad we did, cause I was about to make some big mistakes on a order I almost went thru with global and I mean a big mistake.

I know this is not one of those super dupper PC's like most of you guys own but I'm excited never the less, I just hope nothing goes wrong during the build, now the one Russ is putting together thats gonna be the s#@t, if this build goes well for me and I gain enough knowledge and confidence, and if I remain a good boy around the house and suck up enough to my Misses maybe by next Xmas she might let me get my dream machine, I mean one of the best boards with a AMD Phenom with a sextet cpu lol, monster video and audio cards on and on, but really I would like a nice high end machine, I would probably never use it to it's full capability but just to have one would make my day, having my kids come over with thier friends saying you guys need to see my Dad's machine(YEAH)lol.

But for now if all goes well with this one I'll be more than happy.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I would say you got a good looking build there fred :) Doesnt look spendy for what you got, I think you'll be more than pleased depending on your old system. Your build is Slightly better than what im running right now, and it impresses me everyday.

Russ, I feel like a fool. Your sig, all this time ive wondered what it was, what it meant. I just opened my mobo package and had a VERY similar image present itself. It made me laugh out loud. I gather Gigabyte is totally your flavor then. Well... if all goes well... it may be mine now. :) Looks like they packaged well. Wont slide around in its box. Newegg could have done a little better, but im sure that the shipping process didnt effect it. Looking like a solid board. Its got some mass to it. I LIKE THAT!!! Tells me its not cheap :D

Well... Here goes. If you dont hear from me within 3hrs, something went wrong, LOL. Probably be quicker. Never PULLED a cpu before. And I remember it took some considerable force to snap the heatsink in! Infact I was nervous in doing so! Thats probably the toughest part! WISH ME LUCK. :D

10. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

No misunderstandings here. I can't dump working stuff either especially if it has a unique feature or something. I would never put more then 2 in my system, with a SATA interface at least, because I would want the other ports for my HDDs.

Fred, for ultimate bling-bling check out water cooling. Expensive but definitely brings in a whole new level of awesome XD

EDIT: Good luck oman. Removing the cpu/heatsink isn't all that, I found removing the old TIM was a lot harder/annoying.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well cudos to you fred :) It just so happens... my pants are down, LOL. Nah...I totally spaced a paticular little thing, that just so happens to be important. See...I upgraded from a Micro atx, to a standard Atx, and the barebone I purchased last time, only came with 6 mounting risers. Well...my newboard requires 9! Not much of an issue but, I want this to be close to perfect anyway, for the whole 2-3weeks it'll be in this case. Looks like im going to the town shop for more risers. I Swear im buying their largest bag of um, LOL

By the way. The cpu didnt give me any fuss, :D It WAS going according to plan!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

13. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

What store sells those oman? AFAIK there aren't any stores in my area that sells stuff like that. Would be very nice if there were some for obvious reasons lol.

14. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ, where's your post....OH, there is no post, WTF!!!

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

sytyguy I think he added a little line in there but didn't change the text to differentiate for our pleasure. lol. :p

Good to hear there Russ. Hope all is going well for you too O-man7. :D

....gm

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

he added this in

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sorry about putting my edit so low. Russ obviously missed it.
    Well... I picked up some risers at the local shop. They just GAVE them to me. She was like, GO FOR IT! I was like yeah. I took 3 extras for future possibilities. Well... back to it. Just got off work. Shouldnt take me long. Im in a kinda wired mode. Give me 20-30 minutes. :D
    By the way russ, Your right, I like the weight of the board. VERY nice! Tells me its not cheap, SOLID! Light CAN be good. But, I like a little mass to my delicate equipment.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, Im dealing with some kinda problem :( Thats what I get for getting over excited. I hooked everything necessary up, plugged everything in, and NOTHING. Or I guess I should say ALMOST nothing. I hear a curious squeaking sound. Not sure from where. Im feeling pretty brain fried! Good thing I didnt plug my main storage Drive in(1TB). ALOT ALOT of data on that bad boy! Should something fowl be going on in there, I'd hate to lose all that data.

Its POSSIBLE, that the squeaking sound is coming from the CPU! Any thoughts on that Russ? I was surprised to see Double 12v inlets for the cpu. Is it possible that my PSU doesnt have that proper connection? Looking....

Ok, im a little confused. My PSU has a PCI-e connector that has 2 pins on the same 6pin cable, that when connected form an 8 pin FOR THE CPU??? Much like 20-24 pin conversion. I assumed it was correct, because ive never seen computer connections...well... simply put, if it fits, it must be right. Certainly this one anyway! Surely there is no mistaking this one. But check it out.
    1 x 20+4-pin ATX
    1 x 4-pin/(8-pin) CPU <-------- this tells me there is one catored specifically for it.
    2 x PCI-Express <-------but one of these transforms into 8pin cpu???
    6 x 4-pin peripheral
    2 x 4-pin floppy
    6 x SATA
    This is my PSU.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002
    Surely my PSU can take this stress! Hell, I'd hardly call this stress on a 4 12volt rail PSU! Nearly 80amps of 12v!!!! I wonder if this board is simply DOA. I truely hope not. Ehhh...as I said, im feeling brain fried now. Im gonna go to sleep, and come back with a fresh mind. Hope your having better luck, :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I bought a two molex to 8 pin adapter for mine and to my surprise, The Cooler Master 460w that came with the case had two plugs that plug right in next to each other in the 8 pin socket. You are right about the right one "1 x 4-pin/(8-pin) CPU"! Double check the manual that came with the PSU and be sure! I've been running mine at 3.0GHz for several hours now. I ran a known DVDRB/CCE two pass on it that I have the time recorded for my old E6750. This one was just a little faster. I very much like the way this thing is running right now. I'm going to have to do some reading because I have no idea what half of the adjustments in an AMD do. Like I said before, This is my first go round with overclocking an AMD and this is my first AMD build for myself! So far I like it very much! I just have to figure out what to do with it from here! LOL!! Another bonus was the 460W PSU is much better than I was led to expect. The lite-On's are loud, and one is way too loud. It has a bad spindle motor or something. The sound when you put the driver disk in is incredible! It vibrates pretty bad too! Very nice case too. I put the rear fan in the front to cool the hard srives and replaced it with the Silverstone that has the blue lights, 31-32C temps and stressed it only get's to 43-44C. running Orthos! I going to install Service pack 3 in a little while, so we'll see what that does! I'm having fun! LOL!!

Russ

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Russ, i strongly recommend you try out the HC Encoder, not because it's free but because it's excellent, and it's multi-core aware.. ..can't remember if you'd ever used it before.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.