1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omegaman, the 6+2 is because graphics cards take 8-pin connectors as well. Top end GPUs have one 6-pin connector and one 8-pin connector, hence why the extra 2 pins are removable.

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7,
    Like Sammy said the 6+2 PCIe connector is for graphics ONLY.... NOT cpu related and don't plug it into the cpu connector on the mobo. If the mobo has a 8 pin cpu connector it shouldn't hurt anything to use all 8 power pins if you want to. IIRC the mobo will only use what it needs for power or NOT work at all if it doesn't need it. Sorry no linky's right now...

good luck buddy. ;)

...gm

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

To everyone who said, DONT HOOKUP THE GRAPHICS SUPPLY to the cpu inlet...THANK YOU. A little late, but thanks ;) And you are correct. Im working on a detailed explanation as to why im a fool. Let me get some coffee, and you'll have it.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yup yup. This is probably the easiest way to show you what went wrong.
    [​IMG]
    I'd love to blame it on drinking last night, But I know better. I was rushing then got intimidated when it didnt fire. I pretty much knew when it didnt fire. Thats why I posted about the paticular clip. I find it unusual though, that they would have TOO similar of clips that have obvious differences. Now I imagine you can understand the squeak/squelch sound I heard last night. Well...Im posting this using the new build, so everything seems to be A OK!

For verification, before attempting to fire it up again...I had a look in the manual. Yah, thats right. When all else fails...right, LOL. Found the 8pin diagram, and it shows Ground being 4 bottom pins, 12v being top. I knew then I had it wrong. I remembered that the PCI-E was considerably different. Another reason I was looking in the manual, was so I could take old PSU wires and see about MANUALLY running it proper power to confirm DOA. Looks like that isnt necessary now, LOL

Its play time now, Russ. Thank you once again. I already had a peak in the Bios, AND LOVE IT!!! More options than I know what to do with. :D
    EDIT- I cant believe that the PSU would label it CPU2!!! EASY mistake when you think about it. Well... lesson learned.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's because confusingly, there are 6-pin connectors called EPS (which should really be labelled as such, not CPU) which power server CPUs.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Appreciate your 2cents or Fact, which ever the case may be :) Yah... I thought that was rather odd. Ehhh... I shouldnt have rushed through it. I should have looked in the manual. I would have had it right the first time. But then when I first hooked it up, I was actually leaning toward CPU1/CPU2, But the way the pegs looked kinda through me off. Live and learn. :D From now on, when im introduced to a new form factor, I'll read up on it, ATLEAST a little bit!

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7 I'm just glad you didn't FRY anything. Good to know that the psu or mobo saved ye arse. :) Have fun and good luck with that NEW build. :)

...gm

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

SO AM I GM :D LOL lets not do that one again, K? NEW question. Its probably bad reporting by cpu-z, but... has anyone ever seen this before? Makes me a bit nervous. Makes me wonder if Gigabyte is cheating somehow.
    [​IMG]
    The south bridge should be 750, and the chipset should be 790GX!!!

9. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks buddy. I'll be sure and try that.

Russ - Im also a little nervous about overclocking now. The bios reported 45c doing nothing. Windows/speedfan is reporting 40c idle. moderate load is around 50c. Ok... im gonna have to wait til I get a better cooler. I dont know how I thought it was 30C before. Maybe this board just simply allows it more ooomphh! hmmmm, my side panel isnt on yet, and it does have a port that the cpu fan pulls air through. Not ready to put it on yet though darn it.

Thanks again buddy :) The new cpuz reports it properly! Still wonder why it would pick up an older model chip though.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It's what I used before I got CCE! As far as I know CCE is multi-core as well, at least with dual cores!

Russ

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    I'm running 29/32, CPU and chipset at the moment, and I'm OC'd to 3.0GHz. I did add a 120mm fan to the front for HDD cooling. It was the stock CM rear fan I replaced with a Silverstone!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220031

Everest

[​IMG]

CPUZ

[​IMG]

Memory

[​IMG]

Seems to run good!

Russ

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You may need to flash the F3 bios! Here's mine!

[​IMG]

Russ

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@omegaman7

be sure to keep up with your updates...Ic the first bio update was back in 7/18/08 that's when the board came out..it should be time for a new Rev Board should'en it? Gigabyte made them on 775 sockets every 4 months and released ...I don't know about Amd boards that's a good question anybody knows?

omegaman your bio's is about 7 months pass due to update if your aware of it? Russ's also if he don'nt already know:)
    [​IMG]

I spotted it from this pic of yours:)
    [​IMG]

link to your board
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2887

all yea almost forgot why...I came in here for anybody ever use this b4?
    IntelĀ® Chipset Software Installation Utility?
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/CS-009267.htm?iid=chipsets+infmain&
    [​IMG]

i had a issue with a sm bus controller(question mark) showing up in my device manager and this did the trick made it go bye,bye...lol

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What are the benefits of updating my bios? The new cpuz reports properly, and everest never had a prob! Ive never flashed the bios before.

EDIT - Other than SLITE bug fixes. I seriously doubt that they would release a bios/board with more than slite issues. Dont get me wrong. Im into learning ALL this stuff. Thats why im asking :D mmmmm I guess I can read about it on their site, as to why each update.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    You must have been looking at the wrong pic, because my bios is the 01/13/09 one. I wouldn't use it when it was a beta, but since it's official, I flashed it!

Russ

omegaman7
    I did mine through windows with E-bios. It's on the GigaByte disk! very easy to use and I've never had a problem doing it that way with any GigaByte MB! Other brands are a different story!

Russ

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

well my man it's good time to learn how to flash bio's cause you may run across issues down the line that you need them flashed for a example Hardware changes,windows updates,etc whatever the case it maybe you need to learn how to do it and then you can teach others (Rookies)...lol

@Russ
    handle that teacher with omegaman7:)

no,no,no, Russ you already flashed your b4..I got to omegaman7 picture of his cpu-z shot and you posted mins b4 me...I was looking on the gigabyte site where the first bio's was posted for the board (F2) and... I was telling him there 7 months passed due to update like yours...but still do u have answer to Rev question about the Amd Boards from Brand G do they release new Revisions like 775 sockets did?

I do mine with the (Biostar Flasher) no problem here with Brand B
    http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/images/t-utility.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
  18. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Well all my stuff is shipped out, reading all your posts are making me nervous, all this info, mine boggling, especially if you don't understand it.

Russ the extra fan you purchased the silverstone, should I get one of those?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    I would recommend one. 53cfm @1200 rpm! Very quiet! I took the rear fan and installed it in the front as an intake to cool the HHDs, open blade side towards the front. You have to pull the front cover anyway to remove the blanks when you install your Optical drives, and they're easy to get at as the front panel has no wires attached. Nuch better HDD bay design than my old CM case had. Tenps now stay in the low 30s!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220031

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

[​IMG]

There we go. Rather painless/effortless. I downloaded the bios file before reading russ's post. New I would need it. I used the GUI to select the appropriate file, and 2 minutes later, Badda bing!
    Thats alot easier than I imagined it would be. I guess Ive always just been afraid from the bios horror stories ive heard, LOL. Russ, I think im in love with this board man. THANK YOU!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.