1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    It's a very nice MB and weighs a ton compared to my P-35-DS3R
    Just be thankful you flashed it all right. I had a BioStar G-Force MB and upgraded the bios. BioStar had accidentally put the T-Force bios file in the G-Force downloads! Makes for instant Blackness! In all fairness, they did pay for shipping and even cross shipped it! Just be aware it isn't always that easy! LOL!!

I'm real pleased with the way it runs at 3.0GHz. Everything I use it for is at least as fast or faster than my E6750 was, and with three 1200 rpm fans it runs very cool and quiet! The Cooler Master 460w PSU that came with the case is damn near silent as well. I very much like the case, a Cooler Master Centurion 590 RC-590-KKR2-GP, that I got for $79, on sale at the Egg. A very good deal! The Freezer 64 Pro turned out to be a good choice as the angled fins on the bottom direct lots of air over the VRM and Northbridge heatsinks. Mine runs about 34-35C! I love it when a plan comes together! LOL!!

Russ

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes indeedy. I realize it could have gone south. Power fluctuations, HDD fluctuations, etc, etc. Definetely thankful for SOME luck. Ehhh... my problems have mainly been due to lack of experience :) I think later im gonna see about a little more cooling. Ive got fans upon fans laying around! See if I cant cook up some magic. I NEVER throw away fans when they work! If I can drop the cpu 10c, then...i'll attempt to Overclock! :D Right now, I gotta go to town though. STAY TUNED, LOL

You know... the flash was rather similar to an Optical drive flash. Somehow I pictured it being more complex. Though, computers have come A LONG way in 10 years!!!

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Yup! It makes me feel like the stuff I started playing with back in the mid 80s were carved out of stone! LOL!! The upside of a failed flash was that most of the bios chips had sockets, so they could send you a new one! Then there were all those jumpers! Some boards had upwards of 50 or more! UGH!!!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There aren't really any horrors with Gigabyte thanks to DualBIOS.
    The downside is that if your overclock fails and is reset, the BIOS will revert to the original as well so you'll need to reflash if your system ever fails to POST (or you hot reboot at a high overclock)

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hehe, many years ago i was swapping in some new cache chips on some old motherboard or other, a 386 board (or older probably, don't remember), and i was drunk, bent a pin or two whilst pushing a chip into a socket. Then there was a bang and a nice small plume of smoke. Ooops!
    Didn't care 'til i sobered up and realised how much a replacement board would cost (and after just buying the cache chips too!). It sure is a bit easier these days.

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Russ,fan ordered

Guys I pretty much understand why you guys overclock, speed if I'm correct, but what is the advantage messing with the bios, flashing?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It cures bugs most of the time. Sometimes they add extra overclocking features, but not often.

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Got it Sam, this overclocking really seems interesting, sure why would anybody not want better speed, something I'm tinkering with in my mine maybe as doing, not without guidance of course, if this build can get done successfully I might give it a shot.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah... I definetely better look into cooling this beast! Looks like my cores are averaging 55C + , under CCE rebuilder load. I mainly use cce because it doesnt utilize the FULL potential. It leaves a little flexibility for browsing, maybe an online game, etc. HC utilizes the FULL potential. Ive tried multitasking under HC before. NOT nearly as responsive(Dual core). Cant wait to play with the Quad!!! Ok, lets see about cooling her down :)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

55C on the cores? I can see icicles hanging off it...

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Am I to understand that 55c is WELL within tolerance??? I know my 1.4 thunderbird hits 60c under DR divx load. Speedfan starts showing flames at 50C. So ive assumed for quite some time now, that crossing 50c, is getting uncomfortably warm, LOL Ive heard of the i7's hitting 80+C though. I guess I worry too much huh?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didnt get worried when my cores reached 80C under stress. It's the main CPU temp you should concern yourself with, that's what matters.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

yah...I just increased the FSB from 200 to 210 and it didnt effect the temperature at all. Infact, I know this may sound crazy, but it seems MORE stable now. Isnt that weird? Ehhh... im still gonna look into the new case. When I closed my case up, the main temperatures dropped About 3C but my HDD's went up 5C on all of them. Not extreme I know, but... If I can keep it cool, I will. Ive got more fans than I know what to do with. Im just not much of a fabricator, LOL :)

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Something is screwy here! Here's mine running Orthos with both cores loaded down 100%. Note the arrow straight green line at the top of the graph. The Mother board is the CPU Reading. I think the MB is reading the video and showing it under the CPU. The Aux is actually the motherboard reading. They are there, just in the wrong places! ROFLMSOAOTID!!

Russ

[​IMG]

Russ

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I dont know about your prob, Mine just scared the heck out of me. I brought the FSB up to 230, and dropped the HT down to 800(one notch) due to recommendation of another site. And upon boot lockup on Gigabyte splash screen. Had to jumper CMOS. I think im gonna quit while im ahead with the 210 FSB. It seems MORE stable than stock. I guess we'll see though. I guess it could just need more voltage. Dont worry. I heeded your warning. 1.5 (probably less) Is burned into my brain, LOL!

Man... what stress test are you running? Nice wallpaper by the way :D
    EDIT - Sorry, looks like you answered that in another thread. ORTHOS! Looking into it now :)

Another question however. What do you guys think is better ATI 3300 onboard video, or 8600GT nvidia asus addon card 512mb? I could run tests but black and white isnt always best.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

17. creaky

you probably still need to tweak things, at most i run DVD Rebuilder (with HC) alongside DVD Flick and ConvertXtoDVD, and am still use the pc for multiple burning, browsing etc..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 8600GT is better in games than the HD3300 by a handsome margin, but for HD video, I'd take the HD3300 every time.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks sam appreciate that. Creaky, You do have a quad core. :) The only way I could loosen HC's grip would be to shut off multiple encoder processes, right?

20. creaky

No i dn't think you'd have to. This is on your new build right ?, i'm just wondering if all is setup correctly thus far. I know i've probably still got BIOS settings out of whack on this new Gigabyte, and i'm in no hurry to do a fresh install any time soon (i swapped mobo's and everything worked so i left well alone). I'm having slowdowns on my boot drive for instance, though i don't know if it's just slowly trying to hint that it's due for retirement or if a fresh install would cure it. I just can't be doing with reinstalling shedloads of stuff. If the boot drive just up and fails i have everything backed up, just don't want to mess about. And i hate messing in the BIOS, though i had to the other week as the BIOS had some strange timings set for my RAM, auto settings that weren't right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.