1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I Guarantee I cant run ALL that on a dual core. Atleast not seamlessly. Itd probably do it. But the only way I would do that, is if I planned on being gone for a few hours atleast, LOL. I have noticed however in the past, that Processors are CRAZY multitaskers. When one is set up to do it. You have more hard drives than most people. Heck, people who know me are jealous of my 2TB! So what do you think they'd think of your freak setup :D And I say FREAK with a very big smile buddy. Freak is a compliment :) I love freaks LOL

2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

OK, if your really into multi-tasking, something I'm intersted in, which is the better cpu, intel or amd

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Theres an argument waiting to happen. I of course have my opinion on that one. Lets just say its what im running ;) And im not completely closed to the idea of an... eh hem, intel. simply dont have the money to spend on them. Im sure both are neck to neck for the most part :) We'll see who survives the economical crysis, ehh?

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

does that answer your question. he has a AMD dual core.
    on my intel E8400 i have done that as well but not with HC encoder but CCE as i dont have a quad and HC isnt much different for a Dual core.
    I have as well run clonedvd2,imageburn,ripit4me and dvdshrink all at the same timme doing quad burns 4 different ISO's on 4 different drives.with the 4 different programs. all while useing MIRC talking about doing so.

not doggin ya Omegaman just pointing out the difference. But im sure when you get that Phenom2 940 you will do it with ease.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I usually wont run multiple tasks while burning, due to buffer underrun. Im sure it would do all that, just not nearly as quickly as having undivided access to either programs. Now if I had 6 drives, and each process utilizing a different drive, I can see how that would be simple for even a single core processor. Ive only used HC twice. I saw a slite difference in dark scenes compared to CCE, that bothered me. I WILL give it another shot though. I need more drives to play with. Hehh heh, I guess I have them :) I just dont trust the raptor given the clicking sound it makes. Plus I was having windows errors, that made me wonder about the drive. I would like probably 4 more WD AAKS drives. THEN, I could REALLY play. Sorry if this sounds incredibly newbish of me, :(

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    I actually don't care for that type of case at all. Looks too much like a cheap all in one stereo, where as the Antec I was looking at looked like a piece of Good Stereo Equipment! LOL!! Same approximate height and width so it looks nice stacked! I do like the Cooler Master Criterion case a lot, and the 460w PSU that came with the case is better than expected

Yes I am playing with my new toy. I've got it running at 3.2GHz at the moment. From here, I haven't got a clue! It won't boot XP at any multiplier higher than 16! I'll have to do some studying! LOL!!

Russ

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

boy your a hard man to please...lol...i thought it did'nt matter how the outside looked as long as you put good heart inside...O wait a min...I'm talking about toyota's the body rusts away but engine keeps goin change the oil sorry off subject...well I tryed Russ maybe nexts time...I perfer Power under hood instead beauty on the out...have much fun with your new Toy and keep us Posted:)

all yea are you talking about my case i got cm centurion rc590?

Will...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

cincyrob if your doing all that multi-tasking with just a dual core that sounds amazing to me, I had no idea just a dual core could handle that.

I received some bad news today, I was gonna have a youngster I meet some time ago that has build PC 's and build some good one's I must say stand over my shoulder while I put together my build, he was attending a local community college here, but since he went to a better one upstate, oh man my heart dropped, my feeling of comfort flew right out the window.

It would have been so much easier having somebody physically here (damn).Doing this by phone e-mails and posting, oh boy.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Fred... you'll be alright. :)

On the subject of multi-tasking I'd decide on the quad and NOT worry about it at all. :p You should be fine with Intel or AMD so don't worry there. ;)

....gm

11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

The cpu I ordered is an AMD Dual Core, Quad is kinda out of my finacial league, but if as cincy says he does all that with a dual thats good news.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Processors make the human brain look like a childs toy. Although, there are things the human brain can do, that processors NEVER will.
    Even single cores multitask when properly run. Depends on several factors. Multi HDD systems help ALOT! really depends on what your doing, and what you wanna do.

If you think about it, Our brains are multitasking like MAD actually, LOL. Are brains are running hundreds of tasks actually.

EDIT - This is kinda interesting
    http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/Pickover/pc/neuron-galaxy.jpg

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

No I'm talking about an RC-534
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119159

I could have put what I have now in the Antec case, and it still would have worked all right. It looks more like a two drive CD/DVD component player than a computer!.. The quality is where it counts the most!

Russ

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Russ I forgot to ask you, on your case, I know you added a fan on the bottom front, but did you disable the side fan that came with it?

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    No, but I added an 80mm exhaust where the CPU air duct was. The 120mm side fan doesn't seem to do much of anything. I imagine that it would, if it had a video card in it! At 3.2GHz, temps are good at 32-34C. Under load with Linpack on the highest test x5 it hits all of 50-52C. Works for me!

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow russ. Thats actually not all that dissimilar from my case :) Though yours comes READY to cool the PCI area. Mine, I had to have my brother in law the fabricator (LOL), cutout a nice little 120mm area. It dropped my GPU temp a good 12c. VERY worth it!!! The dimensions are almost perfect, if im not mistaken.

I wont be running it that much longer though. Im getting a monster in a few weeks. I want the next case able to handle a MONSTER CPU cooler. You know... one of those lengthy freaks!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Probably ought to be a record. Since I'm now running two HD4870X2s (four GPUs), I was experiencing temperature issues, I turned my side 120mm fan from exhaust to instake - bear in mind it only usually spins at about 550rpm - swapping it round dropped my GPU idle temps an impressive 31ÂșC!

18. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Gotcha Russ, the extra fan I ordered as you recomended for use on the bottom front, I actually ordered two, I figured why not have an extra fan laying around, can I use that extra fan as an exhaust like you just mentioned for yours by reversing it? Or one needs a so called exhaust fan.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOL!! And to think I'm using an on sale for $20 Freezer 64 Pro with a 95w CPU, and getting great results! ROFLMAO!!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Let's see you up the voltage! :) With a reasonably modest overclock (as far as voltage is concerned, 130mV) my 95W Core 2 Quad (really about 80W at stock, they use less than the 65nm Quads) - running LinPack ups my AC power draw by 145W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.