1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The reason im going all out, and not just some cheap (no offense) cooler, is because the PhenomII Black is being regarded as an EXCELLENT overclocker. I just wanna be prepared. I trust you buddy, but if I can SOMEHOW get that crazy cpu up to 4.5ghz...COULD YOU IMAGINE??? Surely the heat would be fairly substantial? LOL, I read somewhere (newegg I think) that the i7 may LIKE 80C. Isnt that something? I thought that was kinda funny. Darn near cook an egg on that cpu!

By the way, thats pretty impressive sam! The temperature drop I mean :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At 4.5Ghz even with a top dollar tower CPU with a crazy loud fan, you're probably likely to get shutdowns due to overheats. The Phenom II uses a barbaric amount of power when overclocked.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So you dont think thats a practical STABLE goal? I suppose that would be a record, for general public achievement huh? I guess im gonna find out huh. Im about to come into some money here soon. I wouldnt mind playing around, and contributing to the community so to speak. :) Wish it were enough for an i7 though. Would love to run some REAL side by side comparisons!!!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Put it this way, if someone just came along saying they'd done it without a substantial Water, Phase or Nitrogen cooling system, I wouldn't believe them.
    The Phenom 2s do not realistically overclock to the other side of 4Ghz on air. The voltages required to get them to those speeds and stable are SEVERAL hundred millivolts above standard. Given their already high power usage, it's not inconceivable to see them well up in the 200s for wattage. That's too much for any air cooler to withstand.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

WELL PUT!!! Sounds pretty logical. So...would I have to cross the 1.5v Threshold, to achieve such a goal? Or is it simply not recommended at this time? I want it to last a while, but I also wanna see it for what it can do :D When you buy a corvette, you dont baby it, you open it up from time to time :D

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you didn't have to cross 1.5V I suspect you'd be running risks of stability issues.

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

My question seems to have gotten lost some where, so I'll ask again, can one use a fan as an exhaust by reversing it.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I have upped the voltage to 1.46v at 3.2GHz. The Freezer 64 has a new design fan blade, and is much quieter than the older ones. It already beats my DVDRB/CCE times for the E6750. The only thing running slow is AD! LOL!!

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1.46V to get to 3.2Ghz? Ooh err....

What sort of temps do you manage under full load for a while then?

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok... now the most important question. Can the PhenomII handle more voltage than previous cpu's. Have they advanced upon the technology that limits them? Or rather, is 1.5 ALWAYS a standard for ANY processor including this one. I really dont want electron migration darn it, LOL LOL

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    You just remove it and turn it around and screw it back down again. You don't reverse the power.

Russ

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Thanks Russ.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As processors progress, the voltage they can withstand is going to continuously fall - as the processes get smaller (65nm, 45nm, 32nm etc), the voltage required to jump across the gaps is smaller.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Man... im really afraid to go water cooling. I read alot of reviews about leakers. I REALLY dont want that to happen!!! Is there a stand alone water cooler out there that GUARANTEES NO FAILURE? No leakage?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope. I'd say getting leaks is almost guaranteed TO happen, not guaranteed to not happen. You just have to be eagle eyed and spot them!

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Man... who cares about form factor anyway! I dont care if the processor is the size of my mouse darn it. I want a THZ processor Darn it! lol

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I figured. Had to ask anyway.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, clock speeds may not have changed, but we're on our way to effectively having that. An overclocked 4Ghz Core i7, when all four cores are working, is as fast as, effectively a 50Ghz P4.

19. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

From what I've read those stand alone water coolers aren't that good in cooling or reliability. It really isn't hard to make a WC loop that won't leak or fail yourself and it will usually cost less and/or work better. With a bit of research you'll see it isn't as scary as one would think.

Of course there's no way to guarantee no leaks, but if done right you won't need to worry about them.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You may have just inspired me :) I may have to play around in the near future. Perhaps even a new design. LOL, I suppose its already been thought of though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.