The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm trying to find a grille to replace one of my 5.25" bay blanks. Taking out the drives made it run even cooler. It's idling at 30-31C! Anybody seen anything like that? I've seen fans that fit in the bays, but nothing like a grille! Anyone see's anyhing like that let me know!

Thanks,
    Russ

2. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I got a HAF, and I have to say I'm please with it. It's surprisingly quiet, almost comparable to my old Lexa Blackline (ALMOST). And it cools loads better than my old case. My CPU temps alone dropped substantially, not to mention my system temp. The ONLY downside I see in it (and this is actually quite annoying) is that there are no dust filters, which is a bitch when you have fans that big in a case blowing all that air. I just cleaned out all the dust today, and the fact that cooler master decided not to include any is ridiculous based on how much dust I found in there. Despite that, the rest of the features this case offers gives it my recommendation (but I'd still prefer a cosmos 1000 over this, which has yet to be beaten for me).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If your trying to make me drool, it worked! :D
    Im a sucker for a HUGE case. This is one of the largest designs ive seen. Though I dont know if I like the silver look(I LOVE BLACK), or swing door. I like looking at my bays. Besides, what if a malfunction occured and all or some of the optical drives ejected while the door was closed :O

4. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

haha If you're talking about the cosmos 1000, then let me just say that that case is so big, my friend's old sony vaio actually FITS INSIDE of it! LOL

The door was one of the reason I got my HAF instead of the cosmos (even though you can take the door off the cosmos, the places where the plastic hinge things go are sticking out on the sides). After having a door on my last case, I'm done with them...having to open a door everytime I wanna put in a disc is waay to annoying.

And the all over black on the HAF is beautiful, especially with that front red LED fan, it really looks like there is firewood burning inside of there. Cooler master even has a blue 230mm LED fan in their store for people who want them.
    But I should say that the HAF has THE brightest power and hdd front LEDs I've ever seen on a case.
    If you really wanna get the HAF, definately go for it because everything about so far for me has been absolutely amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

here you go Russ it might don't fit your needs and you may turn it down or shot it down hard (man to please) lol... but it's just ideal in mind...I would do it plus it would blowing down on your hard drives and thru the case helping Plus you can change the fan out if you want also...I'll think I'll order me 1 myself for my Amd Build heck...I like that design
    [​IMG]

can be mounted three ways
    [​IMG]

link below:)
    http://www.xoxide.com/scythe-kama-bay-cooler-black.html

Will...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    That's the one I was talking about! I think I would mount it in the three lower 5.25" Bays or the middle three as I only need two anyway, and there's five! The HDD bay gets plenty of fresh air from the front fan blowing right over them. It would look real nice with my particular case too!

Russ

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Well guys, all my parts came in, gonna wait till the weekend, have many questions and some advise help and studying to do.

Russ we both have the same case, I know you talked about installing an extra fan on the bottom front that I also ordered, still waiting for that, this extra huge fan that you and bigwill are talking about wow it is big, plus the fact that you would lose 3 bays, would that extra cooling be that beneficial in loosing 3 bays.

8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

IMO it depends on how many bays you actually use. If all of them are occupied it might not be worth the loss of those devices. For some one like me who only uses 1 bay (might use a second in a few months) it wouldn't be a problem to use up three unused bays; possibly more of a waste to leave them empty ;)

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Yes I see your point, I was wondering cause I know Russ was going to install an extra fan on the bottom front of his new case thinking that would probably be enough, to somebody like me I guess it would be, I never overcloked not yet anyway nor am I a gamer, I will be installing two writers, I also ordered a card reader thinking it would also take up one of the bays but as it came in this morning I found they are the 3.5 size, am glad my case does have one 3.5 external bay, but I myself would hate like hell to lose 3 bays for future use someday maybe cause of a fan, unless you really need it than of course that's understable.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    For me, being as I only ever use two bays it's a good idea. I know it cools about 2C better if I just take out a couple of bay blanks, and it will be feeding cool air straight to the CPU cooler and memory. It should match my case perfectly, and look better to boot!

Russ

11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Russ, point taken.

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Forgot Russ, since I don't overclock and of course not yet anyway and am not a gamer, I wouldn't need something like that would I?

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    I wouldn't think so. My temps were fine at stock settings!

Russ

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Good, the Misses is already bitching on what I already spent lol.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Just tell her, "If she wants a whipping boy, You are all hers"! LOL!! Tell her I said so! ROFLMSOAO!

Russ!

16. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Anyway while I have a little time on my hands since everything finally came in and giving everything a quick look here are some of my comments.

The case is really nice, I never thought a mid-tower case can be so big, and for me I like that, I was actually thinking about a full tower thinking a mid-case might be to small, not in the case. So far I like everything about it, it seams sturdy, roomy and well built on top that it's also an attractive case, my only bitch is that the USB & Audio plugs are on the very bottom, I keep my PC, on the floor and at my age bending down for a plug in can ouch sometime, but I also ordered a card reader which will connect to the 3.5 slot which is in the middle will solve that problem anyway.

The mobo really looks nice, lot of pretty colors lol, I started to read the manual and already learned where my two 2gb sticks should go, the explanation was easy to understand, the rest is a little more difficult, I love the fact that it has 6 audio plugs, I never had one of those, I have a nice 5.1 audio PC speaker set and can hook it up properly finally. The rest of course I will learn as Russ and others will explain as things go along.

The freezer was a suprize, I had no idea it would be that big, I know Russ got the same one for his case so I don't have to worry if it fits or not, other wise I would have.

As far as the other components like the HD, writers, keyboard etc. really nothing to say of course, just hope all will work at plug in time.

The screw set I ordered, nice set, has about everything you would need and than some I would guess, and I don't know about the sata cables, I really do not know where they get connected to yet, it's a pretty big case hope they will be long enough for use cause they do look kinda short, but than again they might be just fine.

Thats pretty much it for now, I will keep my progress, thoughts questions posted often, all I ask is for everybody to be patient at most likely a lot of stupid questions that will come, I'm nervous enough as it is lol, and last for whatever is to come before I even get started want to thank for any support I get, this might not be a big thing to most here, but it is BIG for me, and I know that there are probably a lot of readers than posters on threads like this like myself that would probably never attempt to do a build, maybe just maybe I can break that myth, I'm the majority that would never think that poeple like me would not be capable, and if this project becomes succesfull I hope this up coming project teach many that it can be done and how, cause mainly isn't what this thread is really all about.

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

LOL, with you Russ there will be no problem with the Misses, she knows damn right well how much money you actually saved me, she said we need to send this man something to show our appreciation, I said how about a new Ferrari, of course I got a slap upside my head.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Wait till it's all done, otherwise she might just find that Metric Axe! ROFLMAO!!

Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know, they do make adapters for such an issue. Ive seen them on the egg somewhere. You adapt a 5.25 bay, to support a 3.5 item. Some cases are sold with the ability to do that I think. Really depends on ones needs :)

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Fred's got a 3.5 external bay, so no problem. It's in a good location too!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.