1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I was simply making him aware of the possibility. A little tidbit :) I probably wouldnt use such a device myself. Really depends on the situation.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Yeah, I talked to Fred before and that's what he said about having the external bay! I should have told you that! Sorry!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No harm, No fowl! LOL. Hey, isnt it time for a new sig buddy? Enjoy it if you like. Otherwise, I had fun with it anyway :D
    [​IMG]

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just received my Corsair HX1000, if anything I think it might be slightly smaller than the Zalman unit, but what I do notice is it only has two 12V rails, a 40A and a 30A, further confirming the suspicions it's two smaller units in one. I welcome this approach, as overloading a rail of that size would take some doing!

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Didn't know you were getting a proper psu. :p Good for you and I'm curious to see how it performs. So which puter you installing this badboy on and do you really need it?? :D

....gm

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well that's the thing, ATI insist my stability issues with Quad crossfire are because the ZM850-HP isn't sufficient. I have a new board here too, which I think is what will really solve the problem, an X48-DS5.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Nice PSU Sam :) I was so sick of trusting weak PSU's! Thats the main reason I got the one I have now in my sig. 4 Rails seemed like a good idea, given the devices I employ. And possible future gaming :D Wow buddy, your PSU looks lengthy! Wouldnt mind one of those. But I should be set for a while :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, this will be the third PSU I've tried in a fortnight. I've had a BeQuiet! Darkpower pro 850W, which shut down when I ran any stress tests, so it was clearly insufficient, and a Zalman ZM850-HP, which has performed well, but it does make some odd noises. The Corsair HX1000 is my last choice, it's probably the best PSU I can think of.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

I would say something a bit funny but I'm afraid of a misunderstanding again. So anyway, good luck with the mobo and new psu. ;)

....gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Misunderstanding?

11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hey there Mr. Green, what are you doing busting Sammy's balls LOL.

I got worried there for a bit, nobody was here for the past couple days was posting, thought everybody went on vacation.

Well I got the extra fans I ordered for my build, all thats left is my XP Pro that I ordered and hopefully I'll be off to the races, if not this weekend than for sure the next.

I got a few laughs the other day, I have been paying extra attention on anything about builds, I got this one site mailed to me about first time builders, I read things like not for the very faint, not for newbies, one guy said his hair turned gray by the time he got done I bust out laughing that was a good one.

What I did notice in the article many said about self builds compared to store bought ones big fault was on how so many times you need to return things cause so many times you get bad items, one fellow said cause this was an interst to me cause he ordered the same board I did, his board only had 2 sata ports when it was suppose to have 5, hell I would'nt even know where my sata ports are to check lol, few said it took them a couple of hours most said a weekend at least if everything goes right, it was an intersting article, but almost all said about the satisfaction they got after a build, regardless I'm looking forward.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, that's good stuff fred!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My X48-DS5 and Corsair HX 1000W are now up and running in my system. The good news is that my graphics related woes seem to have disappeared (though I have to use exactly +0.1V on the chipset, nothing else will do), but the bad news is that its overclocking performance is absolutely dire. My X38-DS4 topped out at 3.87Ghz where it wasn't quite stable, but worked OK-ish. This board doesn't even POST at that speed, it's limit is around 3.7. For one of the most expensive boards out there (exceeding a good few i7 boards) I'm very disappointed. As usual, messing with the advanced settings yields no benefit.

On top of this, under load the HX1000 is LOUD. Just goes to show you don't always get what you pay for.

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Well guys finally everything is complete for my build, my XP Pro disc finally came in so I'm 100% complete.

I am hoping to do this build tomorrow, I am hoping to have a friend come over around 4pm Philly time, he does computer repair for a living, he offered his help and I accepted, I don't want him to do any physical help as I want to do that on my own, I want his help as mental adviser, physically I want to do everything on my own unless I really run into a big problem of course.

I am hoping to have Russ as a standby and of course people in this thread, I'm extremely excited, my biggest worry is to run into any bad parts problem and hope I do not as I have been reading so much about. If everything gets completed successfully, I want to be able to post my full experience of what I needed to get started, what was involved, the actual building experience the do's and don't's and everything right up till the end, and to be able to explain everything in a way us so called PC twits can understand, I want to be able to help any non techie who ever had any reservation on building a PC cause of thinking to them it was impossible, don't forget that was my way of thinking also and it's what always stopped me from doing so.

If I can help just one person to attempt a build cause of my experience man than I did my job. So my friends please wish me luck, cause as I said before, if I one of the biggest PC twits can pull this off, than anybody can.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Confidence is a VERY powerful thing. Alot of people dont know just how powerful. Good luck fred. Though, I dont think you need it :D

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Only if he calls me during the last 20 laps of the Daytona 500! LOL!! Then I'll kill him! ROFLMSOAO!!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

*L@@KS for time on Daytona so I can call Russ to ask questions. :p*

ON topic. ;)

I'm looking at one of these drives to replace one I'll use for the parents "new" build. (which means I'm pulling a 250 or 320 to use for them) Does anyone have any experience with these drives or have info that could be useful. More than likely it will end up as a storage drive so NO worries about an OS drive atm. ;) tia...

link to HDD's

...gm

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Any of the WD drives, plus i'd steer clear of the Seagate unless you're sure it's not one of the models afflicted by the duff firmware that there's so much talk of lately..

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks creaky. I was actually looking at the WD's as I haven't used one in a while. I have 3-320GB Seagates in operation now with NO issues atm. ;) OF course I think it has something to do with the latest release on the Seagate drives IIRC. 640GB for $75 is very tempting to say the least. :)

...gm

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I think it's only the latest drives that are affected, and I'd say you'd be wise to avoid them. WDs still seem alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.