1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I'd recommend avoiding the Seagate drives as well. Not sure what this firmware problem you guys are talking about is but the new Seagate I got a few weeks ago is more annoying noise wise then my gpu's fan at 90%.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This thread is lucky I can contain myself. Seagate brings the worst out of me. :) I dont know about the 640gb AAKS, but my 500gb AAKS is FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! If its even remotely similar, I would not hesitate to buy it! :D Its quiet, and its faster than lightspeed NO JOKE!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol wut.
    Seagates aren't much slower than the WDs. They're just noisier, less efficient and run hotter.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I didnt wanna comment on my Seagate issues. For fear of fanboy explosion :D I was mearly endorsing the 640gb AAKS. The seagate I had for a short time, did keep up with my WD. I ran bench marks on it every day for 2 weeks, watching its statistics steadily drop.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The only one I've come across so far is the WD 640GB drive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
    It was in a customer's computer. It was very quiet, fast and ran cool!

Russ

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

The 3 Seagates I have are the 7200.10 models so the "problems" you guys are eluding too aren't an issue that I cans see. ;)

I'm leaning toward these 2 models now.. linky to WD HDD's Even tho it's $5 more I think the 32MB model with 5 years warranty is the way to go. :) Any comments?

....gm

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're still noisy beggars though. I think 7200.11s are when Seagates became quiet.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I dont know about the AALS but the AAKS should be fine. And I use the word SHOULD very strongly, LOL. I have a way of hexxing things. :D The AALS could be intended for something, Perhaps raid.

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I did read a lot of reports about Seagate, mostly the problamatic one's were the 1TB, constantly freezing, even the smaller Seagate Barracuda had some issues, many said needed someking kind of firmware updates etc. a little to complicated for me to figure out.

Than after creaky explained things further to me I decited to stick with the WD's, I did want to go with the bigger drives but Russ made a good point, asked if I really needed anything over 250gb, hell I got a 160 in my HP after several years thats only like 1/3 full, plus he mentioned how anything from 500gb and up had more disc's and sometimes can cause vibrations among themselves, more than likely it's better to have a second drive, all that made sense to me so I went with the WD 250, actually I should have bought a second one instead of waiting and any space issue would have been solved on the spot, plus the fact a second one as a backup makes sense also, I'll get one soon.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks Russ... and as usual Sammy you cease to amaze me with your hearing prowess. ;) Of course there is so much noise in my house that a P-51 Mustang would have to fight for "listening time".... hehehee. :p

....gm

12. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks for the link creaky; I remember that now lol. If I remember correctly my 7200.11 is the loud annoying one while the 7200.10 is the decent one. Either way though I'd still get WD at this point in time.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

these are the 2 hdd's im running right now. a WD 500gb and a seagate 250gb.and i have no problems with them at all. cant hear either one of them, and would recomend either or.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136149
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

on another topic.
    i have xp home 32bit. if i wanted to go with a 64bit do i need a complete reinstall or will it install over what i have now?

and is it easy to find windows XP 64bit? ive looked at microcenter,officemax and depot none of the mhave the 64bit OS.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

In my opinion, I would wait on Windows 7 64bit. I didnt experience too many problems with it. Infact, I believe the only problem I did encounter was, Google desktop doesnt support 64bit yet. I just wish everyone would jump on the 64bit bandwagon. 32bit is obsolete, ISNT IT???

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sound like a smart thing to do OM7,but windows 7 isnt due out for a few months, and i havent heard anything about a 64bit version of it yet.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I was running it. VERY smooth I must admit. Smoother than XP in my opinion. Though they need to work out some IE 8 bugs. I cant wait til more programmers/softwares support 64bit. Though, I only had one sour install. And I believe it might have been due to my FORCE installing it.

Surely you mean the release of 64 bit. Wont it be released along side 32bit???

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    When I downloaded it a few months ago, you had a choice of 32 or 64 bit, so I'm pretty sure they have one! Here's the link!
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

They've stopped uploading the beta. They've collected all the info they needed. MORE OR LESS :D

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I guess I should have tried the link first! LOL!! I knew they had extended the uploads for a while, but I didn't think it would run out this soon. It was only about a month, maybe 5-6 weeks ago, that I downloaded mine.

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Yo guys I got my Q9450 up to 3.60GHz, and it seems pretty stable temp-wise. Vcore is at 1.3v.
    I ran OCCT 3.0 and 15 minutes into the stress test, it gave me an error on core #2(which i'm not sure if it means core1 or core2).
    Idle temps pretty much are the same as before when I was at 3.4(maybe 1C higher) at 37, 38, 38, 37 (tj max 100C). On full load, no cores exceeded 53C.
    I have yet to leave it on overnight w/ prime95 running, which i'll do tonight.
    You guys think it's stable? I'm still running it, and no problems so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.