1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Russ

I feel if you tell a person how to do it and they still don't understand take (control)..lol nothing wrong with alittle networking...I can control both my systems and only have to be in of one turn on and turn off,file tranfer,burn and see both screens and etc now I can check my system from work if need be by remote control even if it's not running start it right up and turn it off...

my two systems in 1 pic below remote action
    [​IMG]

my connection
    [​IMG]

this comes in handy when others that need help and not sure by be there seeing what's goin on with there system but the trust issues also will be another thing some people just don't let you in on there systems like that unless they trust you too...fix it

Will...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

It looks like I'll be reinstalling XP in the next week and since I've been wanting to put the OS on its own HDD for a while this is as good an opportunity as any. Not sure on what HDD to get, definitely going with WD after my last experience with seagate though. Was thinking of getting a Western Digital Caviar SE WD800AAJS 80GB because it's cheap, but at that price I'm beginning to question its reliability. I was also thinking of getting one of these two since they're faster. At those prices though I feel like I'm wasting my money since I can get 1TB drives for less.

What are your thoughts on a OS HDD?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My 500gb WD AAKB (IDE) is very responsive! My AAKS 500GB is even more responsive. My AAKS and FALS 1TB transfer among themselves VERY nicely. I swear it was meant to be, LOL! Ive never ran an OS on the FALS drive. But the other two are AWESOME!!! You wont regret it. I suppose now that ive said that though, its possible that ive hexxed it, LOL

4. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Hahaha I certainly hope you didn't hex it. I'd been eyeing the FALS 1TB too, looks like it would replace my annoying Seagate, which is scheduled for removal this weekend anyway, very well :) Getting a small drive would be cheap and would probably work fine but in the end that isn't my style lol. At this point I'll probably dump the Seagate in the closet, get a FALS and just not use my Raptor for storage.

Currently I have two WD drives (AAKS & Raptor) and really like them both. The amount of data I've pushed about on them is staggering yet both seem to be in good shape still.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I know exactly what you mean :D

The FALS is nothing short of amazing. Its extremely smooth, fast, and search times are the quickest i've seen! Well worth every penny!!! Infact, I wouldnt mind another one. I just dont know about the 2TB drive yet. Im concerned that the F/W may not be ready yet! Plus having 4 platters seems like that would limit its full potential. Heck, i'd rather buy 2 1tb drives than the 2TB drive at this point. 1. its cheaper to buy 2 FALS drives, and 2. its not been tested enough!

6. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Felt the same way about the 500GB vs. 1TB for a while (which explains how I ended up with 4 four of them lol). It is time to get a 1TB though; being able to back everything up on one drive is going to be nice.

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I'll tell you what. I spent almost twice that when I bought mine. And I DON'T regret it! :D

9. redice

redice Regular member

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

after reading that article, it sounds to me seagate is saying to hell with the consumer. that is the main selling point for me was the 5 year warranty.its funny look at WD they are now offering the 5 year warranty on their drives. sure some are still 3 year warranty but most are going with 5 year warrantys.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16822136313,N82E16822136297,N82E16822136062

as for the HAF,not yet ive used the money i had for it else where. but i will have it soon.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

I saw the change a while back and that's the reason for my questions earlier in the thread. I've liked both companies for some time now and I've always had one or the other for OS drives but it seems that WD is drawing me in for the next purchase. :)

Yeh how is that hair plug surgery going?? :p

------------------------------------------------------

Got a question for you lappy people. I've just purchased this memory for a friend. It's compatible and all but my question is the "playing nice with others" dilemma. lol. His other "stick" is 512, I just bet on it going along like the desktops do. Hopefully I was right and if not he at least doubles his memory. :D tia for any responses....

...gm

link to RAM in case you missed it...

12. redice

redice Regular member

cincyrob

same here,i liked seagate 5 year warranty as well on all there drives. That was also a selling for me. however, i do like there hard drives but i may have to look into WD a little more.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seagate's dropping of their warranty to 3 years put me off - usually, warranty drops come hand in hand with drops in build quality, and among the horrific firmware issue with the recent drives, I just don't trust modern Seagates any more. A shame, as the .12s are the first quiet Seagates for a long time.

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

gm, as long as it is compatible with his laptop then should be alright.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i haven't had alot but all my drives have been Seagate and the 5 year warranty was the deal breaker.i do have the WD 500gb GP drive that i love. i cant hear it at all and is fast. tbh i think the next drive i get (maybe this week) will be the 1tb WD101FALs drive. gonna see if i can hunt around and find it cheaper. but $129 for it is a great price.

GM they told me i had a 3 week waiting period for my plug they had some guy from Lubbock Texas with a big melon they were working on....LMAO.. just funning buddy

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey GM,
    I have a matched pair of Samsung 512MB PC2-4200 double sided Cas 3 ram, if you are interested!

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If that were PC2100 I might be interested! I offed my 1gb to my sister a while back. Now I NEED IT! My poor HP only has a 1/2 a gig! And apparently 2gb is the magic number. Might use it for an HTPC later. Dvd mp3 playback anyway. a 1.4 single core PROBABLY isnt gonna think to much of blu-ray playback, LOL. It is however the smoothest single core ive ever seen. Perhaps the CPU was produced on a wednesday(best day of the week), LOL

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

I knew I should have called your O.S.A. for some RAM. lol. I already bought the RAM for the guy but I might need some more. I've still a package to send your way buddy.... been busy avoiding all my responsibilities lately... sorry old chap. ;)

....gm

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, I totally forgot about 2 towers I recently acquired, that I havnt even looked at, LOL. My neighbor just gave me some stuff of hers just laying around collecting dust! I guess it still is! Havnt had any time to check it out.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    If you need them, you know where to find them! $25 for the pair!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.