1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd go with the corsair, it just works. Corsair do make 8500 stuff by the way, which is excellent.

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Which seagate you run with?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I did go for that, it's what I'm using now, but OCz is also a very solid memory brand so it shouldn't be overlooked. The price was certainly right.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

abzuar: I finally got clearance to return my q9450 for a replacement. I did what you told me to say, and it worked! I just want to know...did you just send your processor and nothing else? And what did you mail it in?

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've already got the memory (both)

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

then stick with the OcZ

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Then you shouldn't be asking anyone which one to use, try them both and keep the one that serves you the best.:D

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

you have to send it back just as you got it box and all with heatsink..just stick box in another small and UPS it back to intel..The rep should have gave you some info on how to send it back to intel..make sure you get a copy or copy of tracking number..so you can see the traveling times and the receiving time they got it you can keep up with all that on ups.com...:)

10. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Thanks for the info! Sucks that I'll have to pay shipping...
    The rep told me that I'll get an email w/ info on how to ship it...but the email I got doesn't give any info AT ALL....
    thanks again

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Creaky,

Opps! Guess this is where I show my age! LOL!! My first CD-Rom was in 1985! Atari ST-1040. It was external and came with a pretty decent Encyclopedia CD. 1x speed, $499!

My first for a PC was in 1989. Creative Labs Soundblaster w/CD-Rom, Internal 1x. would only work with Creatives IDE interface, until the Software caught up, $299!

I guess inflation hasn't hurt the computer industry so much as you can buy a High Quality DVD-Burner for right around $30 and it does everything with one drive! Pretty remarkable, when you think about it!

abuzar1,
    Unh,,,,, That would be Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuid! Sorry, but I just thought that was funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny!! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I always install both the cpu and hsf in the mobo prior to intalling the mobo in the case. some hsf's have to be installed on the mobo prior to installing the mobo in the case, due to a backing plate for the hsf.

you can dl the manual from asus website. here it is http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All the CD/DVD burners I've bought, were in order:
    £95
    £45
    £25
    £15

See the trend? :)

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes, being a student doesn't always pay well, although I have to confess I am unfamiliar with the brands and models.:p

No Russ, it shows your age because you're actually admitting it, but it "depends".

I always install my processor in the motherboard right away just to protect the pins, but I wait to install the heat sink and fan because I want everything else out of the way first. Also I take a lot of care with the heat sink installation. Sometimes you are required to install retention clips and support brackets that require it done before the motherboard is installed. In my last installation I used bolts and nuts from Home Depot in place of the supplied clips for better CPU to heat sink contact.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, no, because CD Writers have got cheaper over the year.

Acer/Benq 40x20x10 CDRW was £95
    LG GSA-4163BA was £45
    NEC ND4570 was £25
    LG not sure what, but a 20x S-ATA drive was £15

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Thanks for the info! Sucks that I'll have to pay shipping...
    The rep told me that I'll get an email w/ info on how to ship it...but the email I got doesn't give any info AT ALL....
    thanks again[/quote]

@mrk44

i just got off the phone with Intel..First they asked me how long have you had it ?..I don't know..I said 30 days..i guesss but they gave me a number to Tech support #916-377-7000..you said they sent you and e-mail with nothing in it you need to call them back and tell them you need the address and what you need to write on the package youur sending back..here's what you need to know when you call them:

Before you call Intel: If your retail boxed product qualifies for warranty support directly from Intel, have the following information available to give to the support agent when you call.

Proof of purchase
    Email address of customer
    Name of product
    Product Code
    Serial number-Spec +FPO for processors
    Description of problem
    Shipping address

here are other support #'s

IMPORTANT TECHNICAL SUPPORT PHONE NUMBERS
    http://www.ezinstructions.com/phoneno.html

17. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

bigwill: Thanks for the info. I got their email a little later with the stuff I need to know. I don't know what the one I got before was. The processor is boxed and ready to be shipped.

It's weird...they never asked for my proof of purchase at all.

And in the email, it says that the thing will go through a visual and functional screening process and if there is no defect found, the same one will just be returned to me.... This may be a problem, as mine works, it just doesn't work WELL (hot, messed up sensor?, came with marks on the top, etc.)....

EDIT: Wait never mind there is no screening process for the processors...I was reading the stuff on "verified by intel" returns...

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey MRK, you dont need proof of purchase, and you DONT need to send it with the heatsink. Save yourself some shipping cost. I only sent in the CPU and they gave me a retail box in return so I had two heatsinks in the end lol.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Here's what you do right down the batch number off the box somewhere..it should be marked on the cpu also..I believe and when they send it back to you,,,u can tell if it's a different 1 the batch number is a born on date..

Let me know how it goe's i'm here to help much as possible on what..i know..I'm ready up on the New E8600..i don't care what people say it's my money to spend..that's the year. i graduated
    1986..lol

@mrk44

Don't do that do what the tech whats you to do..your a first time builder..i don't want you to get all confused just do what intel saids..

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Five months back I sent my D-940 in for replacement under warranty! When you copied the above you should have gone down to the next paragraph!
    See the highlighted CPU with Thermal module? I also had to provide an Invoice from Newegg for the CPU, packed with the CPU and cooler. I had to give the Invoice Number over the phone, just to get the RMA #, and that was conditional on their approval when it got to them.

I certainly hope that things have changed! They'll try and tell you the warranty is void if you don't use their Cooler! Only if you are foolish enough to believe it! I told the guy I spoke to that there is no way that they could make that stick as there's far too much negative press about their cooler and it's very easy to prove that their cooler is inferior to the majority of After Market Coolers! As soon as I said that, the matter was dropped! It's much better to send it all in the box it came in as if there is any shipping damage, they can't very well complain about their original packaging! LOL!! Costs me $5 either way unless you use USPS, who frankly stink! Ask GM about that! LOL!! He'll confirm what I said about USPS! Suffice to say that they invent new ways to screw things up!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.