1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

http://www.buy.com/prod/western-dig...e-1tb-7200rpm-serial/q/loc/101/208190148.html

thats the best i can find it. i will be ordering it thursday. maybe friday at the latest.

so a segate 250gb,wd 500gb and a wd 1tb.

1.75tb of space...im trying to catch up with everyone..lol

my OS is on the 250gb drive. im gonna copy it over to the 500gb drive the reformat the 250gb and start fresh pulling the stuff i need off the 500gb drive. a good weekend project. its been a little over a year now i thinks its time for a freeeeeesh reinstall of XP..lol

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Rob is that a 10,000 RPM HDD ? my Seagate HDD is crap to,but I'm going to wait till windows 7 is officially released before i get a new one. and will probably upgrade my CPU at the same time so i can encode/backup blu-ray faster

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, the FALS is 7200rpm, a good one, but 7200 nonetheless.
    The only 10k drives WD produce are Raptors and Velociraptors.

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Sam which one is superior the Raptor or the Velociraptors.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Velociraptors, in every sense. quieter, less power, much faster.

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

cool since i am going to start encoding/backing up blu-ray DVDs i want the best HDD i can get. i will check them out

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Im not completely opposed to Raptors... or velociraptors for that matter. I have a 74gb thats on the verge of failing. Its considerably noisier than my other loudest drive. I would buy a Veloci to speed up the OS, keeping all my vital data on other drives, :D And I would probably clone the drive regularly too! Sorry, but in my opinion the raptors run themselves to death. The price we pay for insane read/write speeds!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One of my 36GB Raptors is 2.5 years old and was built even longer ago than that, and still works fine. The other one I have I bought for £5 knowing it had bad sectors but it still also works fine, the latter drive is actually quite good acoustically, the first is really loud, but it's old.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know...im gonna have to give that drive another shot! It could have totally been driver issues, that I was experiencing. I simply leaned toward it being a used drive, and S.M.A.R.T. not looking too good, so I yanked it! There were reallocated sector counts, it was noisier than I liked, so I worried about the likely hood of a crash! At the time, I only had 2 HDD's. Now ive got several. Gonna have to play when I get my new case!

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ZOSO
    what CPU you getting now? the Q9450 not enough for ya? going for the Q9650? soph is haven a ball with his Q9650. useing it for the encodeing of the blueray stuff.

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Rob yeah the Q9650 or maybe the Intel Core i7 Nehalem chips we will see after the first of the year what happens with windows 7 etc. .Yes i want to start encoding blu-ray also

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh Yah!!! Guess who got there tax return from federal today :D <------
    Not a bad return either! Didn't get what I wanted from state but...I got almost everything back from federal! So NOW, I can play with my new rig!!! Bring on the fun!!!

Next week, Im buying the HAF 932 (IF it comes back into stock)!
    The PhenomII 940 Deneb! (A new cooler for the beast)
    Possibly a sata burner!
    AND...looking into a larger LCD screen!

OH YAH!!!

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I hope you have fun with your money but also spend it wisely.
    Unless you already have your IDE channels used, there is really not many reasons to waste an SATA port on a burner. The only benefit is prettier cabling and lack of master/slave designation.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. I have 2 SATA burners but i would much rather have had 2 extra hard drives instead (i have an Antec 900 and all hard drive bays are full and i don't like E-SATA). I also have an IDE burner and numerous IDE burners in USB 2.0 enclosures so the SATA burners weren't even needed. All's not lost, maybe one day i'll plump for a future pc with way more hard drive bays.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Much like all newer boards, not enough IDE channels are supplied. I just so happen to need more than 2 devices :D One of my HDD's is using one channel where my LH-20A1H is using the other. My other ide burners are ran via usb. NOT good enough. Ive found that the converters dont last long :(

16. creaky

You must just pick bad ones, i've been using IDE burners over USB 2.0 for donkeys years (i only use Belkin enclosures for burners), plus i have loads of hard drive enclosures that work great too, though i've not had those too long

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've yet to ever have an IDE to USB box break. It's the S-ATA ones that seem to go wrong.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Use any of these??? The one on the left is Good! Its the newest, and I cant see it failing anytime soon. The others have began having problems burning at 8X and beyond. Where out of the box they would hit 15.5X before Buffer underrun! The other 2 also have connection issues. E.g restart windows and its no longer recognized! Unfortunately the GWC converter is 20+ dollars!
    [​IMG]

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use 3.5" hard disk boxes and just sit the DVD drives on top. I don't often burn using these enclosures though.

20. creaky

I've never used those fiddly converters, i only use proper enclosures, i don't like the idea of loose connectors.
    Plus i'm pretty certain that USB2.0 is only rated for a reliable maximum of 8x burning anyways. I've probably only burnt one or two discs at 12x (by mistake) so my comment is from memory but as i'm pretty certain that 8x is the top-end speed

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.