1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

16x is close to the limit of the USB bus anyway, so if there's the slightest interruption it will under-run, not that that's such a problem these days, but it is annoying.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Oh right, i could have sworn it was 8x, my memory isn't always as sharp as you young 'un's :)

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

While we're on this topic are there any recommendations on what enclosures to get? I'm going to be putting both my seagate HDD's into external enclosures (swapping for a FALS) soon so I won't have to run them 25/7.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ive seen bandwidth throughput in excess of 20,000KB/s. Just under 16X if im not mistaken. And as I said, out of the box, they were burning at 15.5X max, and 12X consistently. The reason I bought these, was because the enclosures seemed like a waist of money. I mean NO offense! Why buy an enclosure when I can fake one for a percentage the cost (IS WHAT I THOUGHT).

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

whoops :) missed those posts, SORRY

6. creaky

I use loads of these - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/570836/3453526 though i think they only support up to 500GB drives (I still standardise on 500GB drives). It's impossible keeping up with technology so once i find something reliable i stick with it much longer than most people would do.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've yet to see an IDE drive bigger than that though...

8. creaky

The maximum for IDE drives is 750GB as far as i remember, i just don't know if many enclosures officially support them.
    The enclosures i linked to are also available in SATA which can be hooked up via USB 2.0, which would be the only way i'd use SATA drives externally.

9. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

When you mentioned those earlier I was going to get one but as far as I know they aren't available in the states. Thanks for the link though.

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

creaky time to spring for the Antec 1200 12 drives bays should do it, great case

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That is a handsome looking case there ZO! Infact if i'd seen it first, I might have grabbed it instead. But im liking the look of the HAF 932, plus its slightly larger! I'm somewhat of a nut for large cases. The larger the better! Yes, I have seen larger than the HAF! But they're also exceeding my budget, LOL. Perhaps someday I can buy that Freak tower!

12. creaky

The 1200 would indeed be just the ticket. However it would be way too big and heavy for my desks, and i wouldn't want a 1200 on the floor, even though they have air filters (which i read are more of a pain than they sould be). I'm still blighted by unemployment but if i was strapped for drive space i still have the monster Supermicro SC-150A case, which outdoes (indeed shames) even the Antec 1200 when it comes to hard drive & optical bays :)

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Too heavy huh, LOL. My desk ways close to 300 Pounds, 6 feet x 3 feet, X about 28-30in high. Its a friggin beast of a desk. Im not too worried about weight. Infact im sporting 3 computer towers, a stereo, a bunch of junk, and about 10 cake packages of Cd/Dvds, as well as a printer. And another printer next to my desk. I could probably get away with a tower weighing more than I do, LOL. Yes, its that solid. I dont mean to sound like im bragging. Fact of the matter is, its a brute to pack around. And to think I hauld it across half of the country (USA)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, as big as some enthusiast cases are, the oldskool giant towers will eclipse them all... :)

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

I've been using Galaxy Metal enclosures for some time now and I really like them for my needs. creaky uses the Belkin enclosures for his ODD's and they look and work fantastically according to him.... so that's a way to go for sure... ;) Props to creaky and his Belkin goodies. :p

Get the HAF O-man7! :D Zo doesn't know what he's talking about... he can't even get a super model... hehehe. :p

.....gm

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

lol GM

yeah that Antec 1200 is a monster plus its heavy, but i really like mine

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I certainly like the blue look its got! I would much prefer an ultra violet (Black light look) look now though. Im a sucker for black lights, LOL.

Hmmfff. Just noticed a difference in Both Zo's and creaky's gif speed. They're moving quicker than usual. Rather interesting. Never seen them do that.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  18. greensman

greensman Regular member

The 1200 does look like a great case. ;)

O-man7 have you searched out the net for your case? ;) try this page and see if you have any luck. ;) Click on the "Available at" tab and see what you get. :D

...gm

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you could always change the color to ultra violet O-man

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

This what you're talking about O-man7? linky

...gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.