1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Free Far Cry 2 - after I just had to buy mine! Yes you did get lucky, Russ! Your 4000 3dmarks should be able to run that game - are you going to actually play it? Hahahaha. (I'm laughing because I know you're not really a mad gamer, unlike some of the rest of us, lol.)

Sam, wait til you see my post over on the other thread - it's almost done. I got carried away and color coded the air flow haha!

Those congratulations to you are well-deserved after all your hard work. I am so stoked that you're back to business on the dual 4870x2s, after the shock about "getting ready to auction off the second card." Don't scare me like that, mate.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol well, wouldn't you consider it if you had the same experience I did? The whole thing was a bit of an eye opener, I'm certainly going to have to keep my options a lot more open for high end boards. Seem Gigabytes just don't work with two graphics cards installed. I'm growing more fond of DFI and Biostar in light of their superior designs for i7s. Still going to be an out and out Gigabyte fanatic for the low end boards though.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

got a question guys. i started up the puter this morning and opend I7 and FF at different time and i keep getting this popup comeing at me. and it looks like im running in safe mode to an exstint.

[​IMG]

any ideas on this?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I see that periodically, it generally seems to indicate the program is at fault, not the system, might be wise to try and reinstall whichever browser brings up the error.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

its both browsers thats doing it sam. and in I7 it wont let me activate tabs???

i looked in my event viewer and i got a ntfs error..telling me to do a disc check.. well when i try that i get this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and i cant do a system restore for any date in time?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, interesting one, not seen that before. No system restores is normal, they often go missing, but disk error checks should work...

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

not that it will help as i have done it once allready. im gonna shut down let it set for a few mins and reboot.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Not at home so can't open Nero to trigger the exact error message, but i get an error box that looks very similar to that, popup every time i finish using Nero (never at any other time). For me it causes no problems or whatever, so i'm not bothered and i have a feeling it only started happening when i added a plugin to Nero way back (in fact i can't even remember why i added a plugin or what it was, sorry).

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

there is something major wrong. once i cleared cmos pulled the battery reset my mem i couldnt get windows to load. now that i have done all this windows has started up but once again its like its in safe mode,but it dont have the litle safe mode words in the corners like it normaly is when in safe mode. PLus this damn error(svchost) keeps popping up every 5 seconds....

EDIT:
    i think it has something to do with a virus. just ran a antipy check and i got a sillyDl trogan, and AVG isnt able t oconnect to in internet to update.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i cannot get avg to update. failed connection everytime i try and update. it wont let me untinstall it or anything. plus i still cant do a disc check or a system restore.. im at a loss here

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

..but surely AVG is up to date enough to scan/give you more to go on, even without the net ?.

Just manually checked, AVG 8.x just updated fine here.

A quote along the lines i posted yesterday on some thread or other ~

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i unhooked my rig and am now on the HP system. i cant get into any of my hard drives, open any folders or anything. i cant even get into the network connection to check which LAN i am hooked up to.. i think my HDD might be going out. im getting the 250gb ide hdd thats used for storage on the HP ready(formated) then gonna stick it in my rig and install windows and see what happens.. i dont knwo whats going on.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    I had a problem like this recently with a customer's computer. I was able to boot up in Safe Mode and do a system restore from there! You might give that a try.

Good luck,
    Russ

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Rob the afterdawn virus forum is very helpful. But I'll bet you can fix your own problems by
    1. Use CCleaner to totally clean all temp files and junk from your system.
    2. Download latest malware bytes' antimalware program its about the best free program for this type of problem.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

If you dont have these programs, use a good computer and D/L them to a USB or disc and copy them to bad machine. You shouldnt need safe mode to do this, but its there if the alternatives dont work.
    You should be able to update your AVG now, so do that and I always use an updated online scanner like Kaspersky to check when I think I'm done.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

@Sam
    I seem to recall you or someone else mentioning your having the 4870. Infact, I think its a x2. Does it really run that hot? Ive been considering getting the single 1gb version, but but people are complaining about pink artifacts, as well as heat! Any thoughts on that? Other than the bugs, this card could last me quite some time.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

home from work now..

Russ that idea might work i will try it n the morning.

Deadrum
    i ran ccleaner.didn't show much. remove much. and i have malewarebytes on there i cant open it up.

Ive talked to a IT guy at work today he says i have a virus that is attacking the anti virus stuff and it wont let me do admin type stuff.

the Trojan i got and thought i removed is called "sillyDL Trojan" anyone heard of it or even removed it? from what little i have found about it, it is a SOB to get rid of.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Another shot in the dark but TuneUp Utilities 2008 has a startup manager which shows everything that's installed during boot up, any of which can be turned off. Maybe something is being loaded at that point, which you could then turn off. If it's something preventing you from doing Admin stuff, check and see if you can open up the taskbar (Ctrl-Alt-Delete). If you can it's not an Admin type thing because you could turn it off from the taskbar, and that would never do for the bastards that get their jollies doing this kind of stuff!

Keep watch on your email!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sounds like something I might say LOL. Why cant people leave other peoples Sh-- alone!!! Because exactly that reason! They get their Jollies off!!! LOL

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Darnit, I dont wanna start some fanboy explosion! Let me try and word this in such a way that I minimize if not cancel out the possibility.

I currently own an 8600GT asus geforce 512mb video card. I bought it in late 2007(december I believe). Its performed above and beyond. I wish to upgrade my final component! However, I also wish it to be ATI! Other than my onboard 3300 HD ATI chipset(which I havnt tinkered with), I have not experienced ATI! Simply put, It would be my first experience with the technology. Can I get some peoples opinions on the matter. Please please do not say nvidia is better! That is not the reaction im looking for. I would like to give a new company(new to me) the benefit of the doubt. And I hear from multiple sources they are QUITE good! Is the 4870 worth eating dirt for a month LOL! Ok, not quite that bad. :D And what would be the benefit of the 512mb VS the 1gb version? I think I understand the answer to that, what I mean is, is it worth the extra dough?

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You can't do much better than this for the money. Works in crossFire too!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127401

Cool running card with a nice heatpipe cooler on it, and for $116 after $30 MIR, it's hard to beat unless you want to step things up higher! You can go a lot higher in price, if you like! "Whats in Your Wallet"? LOL!! Don't let nothing hold you back except fear! ROFL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

My 8500-GT will be here in the morning!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.