1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@krj15489
    I've been wanting a custom CTX case for along time...I even talked to them about painting one for me...They started at $1,000...the way I look at it...I can build a new system for the price I was willing to pay for just a case...I could never get that quality of a paint job for less...they were selling the CTX cases as promotional items more then for any profit margin...there just dumping them because of the economy...

I am looking at the board because...the ram is effectively free......making the board $269...along with the stellar reviews is making think of pulling the trigger...

I already have an ASUS X-48 P5E Deluxe...so...no reason to go with anything less the a X-58...
    the only thing I am not sure about is the 135watts of the I7 chips...I sure thought they would be cooler...but I guess the extra load on the chip is causing the extra heat...I guess until they due a die shrinkage...we are again going to have to live with higher cpu temps...

Pulled the trigger...a new build is on its way...}:)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

CTX? Dont you mean ATX? Surely not BTX! BTX was a short lived attempt at so called better cooling capabilities. I dont know myself. However, I have a buddies Gateway not 2 feet from me, and it is of the BTX form factor. I found it most unusual when I first opened it up. So I had to run some searches on it.

If im mistaken, and just irritated you, I apologize LOL.

3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

No...I actually meant CSX...which is a collaboration between Cooler Master and Smooth Creations...the people who painted the cases...

Link to CSX...
    http://csx.coolermaster-usa.com/

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ahhhh! Some sharp looking cases there! I might have to keep that in mind for future reference LOL. I must admit though, I love my HAF 932. Despite its lack of color (NOT a con) I like it alot. But Black HIGHLY appeals to me! Thanks for education LOL.

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

If you look back at the PC thread...I was ranting about wanting one...I just could not justify a $1,000...$450 no shipping...I look at it this way...$200 for the case...$300 for the paint...I think it was 40 man hours on average per paint job...It's probably $$$ wise...a loss for them...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The P6T6 WS board looks interesting, but it's exceptionally expensive, and the chipset cooler on it looks dire. I would expect heat problems with that if there was an i7 right above it. The best i7 board in my mind is the DFI - I forget the product name, but it's the expensive one. Seems like a really well designed board. As for the case, your call really. A lot of money to drop when you can get a full tower case of that size and even better cooling than the 830 offers for $130 ish.

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i look at cases like a car(yes weve been down this metaphoric road before..lol)everyone likes what they like and if they can afford it why not lifes short enjoy it while you can. myself im with LP id have one of them cases(desparado) in a heart beat if i had the cash flow.

Edit:
    ok guys ive gotten the call ive been waiting for.i am officially hired at my job the temp service i was with called and said the company is hireing me full time monday the 23rd.

with that news within 2 months i will have my quad build. not gonna be a entire new build. just mobo,cpu,and gpu. i have saved up $220 so far so im not gonna have to drop it all at once.
    here is what im going with.
    MOBO
    CPU
    GPU

total of $628 +s/h

i want the Q9650 but for .17mhz more(3.0 vs 2.83) its not worth $60 when i can OC it just the same. being EO stepping.

the only question i may have with the rest of my stuff well most my PSU is the corsair 750TX enough power for the way bigger GPU and the CPU.

also would it be better if i went to a 64bit OS to increase mem to say 6 gigs just for the fact the GPU has twice the mem mine has now.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's great Lp. I know you've been wanting one of those for some time and I'm sure you got the money as your "business" has to be doing fairly well. :) I'd be curious to see what that baby will do and what you're using if for. Hope all is well with your and yours. Good luck to you my friend. :)

....GM

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob, nice set of parts, but remember, the FSB limit is very heavy for quads. The extra multiplier is free mhz, and a lot of them. A lto of boards will max out at 455FSB, which for a Q9550 is a respectable 3.87Ghz, but for a Q9650 is 4.1Ghz. Of course, a good P45 can push further...

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im running 3.65ghz now with my E8400 so if i can get teh Q9550 at the same point i will be flying high. ive gotten the "i gotta be the fastest OCer" out of my system. yea i might try a 3.8 with it but whats the gain when its allready a quad running at 3.65ghz
    heck TBH once i get it and running and see just how fast the quad is i may have no need to OC it..lol(yea right)

so what do you think about my PSU being able to handle the new CPU and GPU will it be fine or should i look for a bigger PSU.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3.65hz on a Q9550 is easy peasy, my X38 could manage that 24/7 stable (that's exactly what I used, and what I am running now) The extra cache should see a per-core improvement on the E8400 as well.
    Remind me, what PSU do you have?

12. redice

redice Regular member

Rob

you should be fine with that psu(corsair 750TX). i am running that psu that you are talking about with the q9550 and a 4850 and everything runs fine.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, the 750TX. Wow, holy crap, that's enough to run that system three times over.

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Hey Sam,
    To late...I pulled the trigger and bought the ASUS Revolution...I will look at the DFI...for the future...The heat of the I7's is a bit worrisome...When are the going to due a Die Shrinkage?..I believe the next versions are going from 45nm to 32nm...that should hopefully bring them down to the 100watt level for a quad...

Hey Rob,
    Good to hear from you...hope the new job works out...on the case...I know there are cheaper more thermally efficient cases...but this is just about desire...I have been looking at having a case custom painted for my self for years...I have looked into custom plating...either way I was looking at $1,000...not including a case...eventually I will do a one off custom paint job...I already know what it will look like...but for now...this will do...now after this years festival...I will probably go ahead and just go for it...custom paint...water cooled...I plumbed my house with pex tubing so I can water cool all my systems...all running to an external radiator mounted in my garage...

Hey Greenie,
    Your right...money isn't really an issue...if I get what I really want...and I want a custom case...}:)

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thats friggin awesome! Now There's an enthusiast if I ever saw one!

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    You are most welcome!

Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    The MSI is actually a better card for less money. Very cool running compared to most as it has a nice heatpipe cooler on it. Only $109 after the MIR!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127401

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. redice

redice Regular member

hey russ

hows it going? as you may remember i have the MSI HD4850.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127370
    now i see little to if any different in this card. then in the one you posted. whats so different about it? i would think it has to be different in some way for newegg to Deactivated the one i have.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@omegaman7
    I gutted my house down to the studs...my whole house is in pex...so I figured why not add it to the whole house concept...whole house computer...TV...Lighting...Audio and Video in every room including bathroom...
    here is one dilemma I am looking at...right now I have it as one loop...should I brake it into a manifold with equal length runs of tubing...1 system...

I was also thinking of adding a chilled reservoir...then maybe the building up of heat as it goes from one system to the next would not be an issue...
    or go individual systems...6 radiators...6 pumps...maybe I could double up 2 computer to each pump and radiator...cut the costs in 1/2...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.