The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LP531,
    Why not just recirculate the whole system, rather than individually. Then it shouldn't make any difference at all. I'm assuming that you have an outlet, back to the water system, as well as an inlet to each computer, so you shouldn't need any pump at all in each computer. You should be able to go with just the CPU cooler. With a solid metal one, leaks would be limited to the hoses themselves. No pump connections inside the computer, but just two lines for the water in and out. As long as you don't over-tighten the clamps, that shouldn't be a problem. I know one guy that bought very small worm drive clamps, and tightened them so tight that the barbs actually cut the tubing and caused them to leak!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Sorry for the late reply! To get into safe mode, I just keep hitting the F8 key until the option menu pops up! Then you select Safe Mode without networking!

Russ

3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Russ
    I want to pull all that heat out of the house...
    This is how I have it laid out now...pump & radiator in garage...no pumps or radiators in cases...inlet and return lines going from one computer to the next so that the water would be get hotter as it travel down the system...that is why I am thinking more along the lines of how they plumb a tankless water system...with a single line going to a manifold with home runs that goes to the individual computers...do the same with the return...that way the heat of one computer does not go to the next...

I would also like to chill the whole system...pex will not sweat like copper or cast...I am sure there is something industrial that I could use...not super chilled...but cold...no condensation...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. redice

redice Regular member

ok and from the looks of it they just oc'd the card abit(as i get from the oc in the tittle of the card).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LP,
    With all that you did, unless the insulation isn't very good, it should be more than cool enough the way you have it. Closed loop Recirculating systems are, "A" expensive and "B" not terribly reliable and prone to air pockets. In fixed metal pipes, this is not a problem, but in flexible tubing are very problematic, if you do get an air bubble. It's like the way the pipes bang around when you get air in the water pipes. It tends to make whips out of the flexible lines, because water compresses the air, which locally raises the pressure of the air and causes a shock wave when the water resumes it's flow. It's why water pipes with air in them make hammering noises and shake!

If you are thinking about the heat in the summertime, mount the radiator inside the inlet air ducting of your AC unit! That should take care of the excess heat. There's really no benefit in chilling it! The difference in temps would be minimal at best! It's still going to cool real well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Some interesting stuff there.

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i got my HDD back with windows preinstalled in it. plugged it in everything loaded ,the windows screen came up and then BLAMMMM shut down got the blue window that said windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer screen. telling me to boot in safe mode. so i tried that .. hitting F8 goes to the screen where i can choose safe mode. it startes to load then BLAMMMM same blue screen saying windows shut down to prevent damage..... so i changed boot sequence to boot from cd/rom/ put my windows disc in and try to boot from that... same error... i dont have any of my other HDD's hooked up only this one. was it a bad install of windows causeing this problem?

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Man you were up early. lol. That would be my guess rob but w/o knowing more who really knows. What card are you running for graphics on this machine?? Make sure all your connections are tight and clean then try again. good luck

....gm

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i just bought a new 500gb segate put it in and am trying to load windows on a fresh drive and im getting the same error i cant laod windows? do i need to clear cmos on the mobo and try it? should i try putting the sata cable in a different port????? i dont know what to do now??

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Why don't you just try loading a linux live cd and install to the problematic hard drive ?, you can always wipe it afterwards. I've just installed the latest version of PCLinuxOS (2009.1) on a spare P4 machine, all looking good so far..

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well ive tried a different sata port, made sure all connections are ok. even chaged PCI slots for my GPU. still getting the same error. doesnt matter which drive i try and boot in with. Creaky where can i get a copy of linux from. i just did a search for it and 50 million things came up with different versions and such to DL. which should i try and use?

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

DVD SHRINK and DVDFab won't start, but show up in Task Manger. But won't close either through TASK MANAGER Processes. Does this seem to be a fault in WinXP or Hardware problem. I've never run into this B4, they just seem to B Locked

13. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I pointed him towards a couple of simple live cd's, TinyMe and PCLinuxOS, but all suggestions are good.
    (Had only stopped using the P4 as the networking became flaky, and putting PCLinuxOS on there today, i see why, the onboard NIC is playing silly beggars. Have dug out a couple PCI NIC's and will sort when i can be bothered)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    If you know someone with a CPU you can try, I would certainly give that a shot. I know I was getting all sorts of weird messages on the screen, along with BSODs and lockups. When I removed the e6750 and replaced it with the D-940, it worked fine! So did the e6750's replacement. I had tried new Sata and IDE cables, a different hard drive and different memory. If you can get your hands on a different CPU, that should tell the story! You could also try clearing the CMOS!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

It's not looking good for a broad choice of CPU's for X-58 boards...no guarantees for the next 32nm chips to work with X-58...that blows...What is Intel thinking making this many choices of sockets...This is making me regret even going with the i7 chips if this is what they are going to pull...Stupid move Intel...
    Link:
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/smaller_better_faster_intel_hit_with_32nm_cpus_this_year

Link:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12341&Itemid=35

@Rob
    Try Linux Mint...probably the easiest version of Linux to use...
    Download Linux Mint 6 Felicia Main Edition...Main Edition gives you the option to run as Live disk..or install...
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Totally not a fanboy comment. I feel as though it is given the previous statement. But I assure you, im simply making people aware.

This Phenom II is a FREAK with a capital F! LOL. I just ran Dr Divx 1.06 and it Blew the athlon 5200 away!!! What once took the athlon 40+ minutes (at 100% Cpu), now takes the phenom 20minutes, and at only 30% cpu usage(average)!!! Now tell me thats not SERIOUS improvement! And I say again, ive never owned an intel, I cannot say that this is better or worse. Please dont misunderstand me. :) I simply cant contain my excitement LOL. I wish there were a plugin for dr divx or a driver that would allow Dr. Divx to utilize its FULL potential!

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@omegaman7
    I use both Intel and AMD...AMD has done the same with Socket 939...Socket 940...If your not going to fully support a particular socket for at least some length of time...Don't release it...You are just ripping your customer off...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LP,
    I don't think that the current i7s will be with us very long. Because of the price involved, sales have not been anything like when they introduced the C2D. Right now the Core i7 accounts for less than 10% of Intel's sales. Even the Celeron is more popular. The only CPU Intel makes that the i7 exceeds in sales is the Pentium D! Even the AMD Phenom II x4 940 outsells it. Even the server market has turned it's back on it because of the expense, and most are upgrading what they have now until times get better. Intel will either have to shelve i7 or go bankrupt! Their 4th quarter losses were over 2.7 Billion dollars, and 09's first quarter losses are going to be even worse.

You also have to consider that money is getting scarcer by the day, and I don't see anything coming that's going to change that, at least not in the near future, anyway. We tend to forget here in the forum, that we enthusiasts make up a very small portion of the overall consumer market and the people doing the bulk of the buying, aren't buying Core i7s! It makes no difference how good it is, if people can't afford to buy it, and Intel is losing money on every core i7 they sell. There's just not enough sales to support it! With AMD now up to about 30% of the overall market share, and climbing every month, i7 is not the answer, and will be discontinued before the year is over with, I'm sure of it! Had i7 been an LGA775 chip, it would stand a good chance of surviving, but there's no way to get around the need to replace the whole platform, MB, memory and CPU, and people just can't afford the cost! They just can't make them cheap enough for the mainstream market. It's simply a case of Intel hitting the market with the wrong product for the times!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Computer acts like its locked, but all other open programs R Working.

DVD SHRINK and DVDFab won't open, but show up in Task Manger. But won't close either through TASK MANAGER Processes. Does this seem to be a fault in WinXP or Hardware problem. I've never run into this B4, they just seem to B Locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.