1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

lol. Russ you do realize that Lp has already made the purchase?? I'm sure the system will be ok and Intel won't let him sink in the quicksand w/o some support. :)

Lp, have some fun with that new toy. ;) If you don't want it just pack it up and send it to me... I'll find a NICE home for it. :D

...gm

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

gm, why to you & not to somebody else like ME?

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

You make a good point but I'm thinking of my interests atm. ;) I'm sure if he sends it to anyone it WON'T be either one of us.... hehhee. :p

...gm

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, You guys can have it! Dont take that the wrong way, but I have my toy, I wouldnt trade it for nothing! Not even i7!!! I wish software would utilize more of the cpu but its NOT the socket, or the boards fault, its obviously the softwares fault or design for that matter. See...I believe that software designers design their software to NOT utilize the full potential, so there will be no bottle neck. But isnt it up to us, if we want to multitask while a process is doing its job? Thats the beauty of a multicore! Use um OR DONT! I dont see the possibility to tell a software other than Rebuilder to use the FULL CPU! And even then, CCE encoder wont utilize the full processor! HC did on my Dual core, but I havnt tried my Quad with HC yet :D

5. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Hey guys. My new gtx 260 is from evga and has the 90 day step up program. I was wondering if anyone knew if when you step up do you get an additional 90 days on the new card or is it a one time thing? I heard about the new gtx 275 that had 240 stream processors instead of 216 and should be about the same price.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow, I dont know how that slipped by me, I didnt know that AMD owned ATI!!! Its a subsidiary of AMD!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey guys! I think I found Billybob's pipe! Omegaman7's got it! ROFLMSOAO!!

Where you been? Under a Rock? LOL!! AMD bought ATi, Mid-2006. Lord knows it's been announced and spoken of many times on this and the Overclocking threads, as well as other places here on AD. Don't know how you missed it, but you did! LOL!!

Just Kidding,
    Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Under a rock. In a manor of speaking man. But no more! LOL :D

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Any head up on a good Updated Windows 7 ? I've got wb-7022win7x86.iso
    Also which is the most compatible 32 or 64. What about the expiration Date of August? Will it just QUIT or what ? I know a lot of U fool around with this stuff. I'm interested in trying it. I was really kinda impressed with the newest Vista 32, it seemed to work more accordingly then older versions. It seemed to have a better response, it seemed like I could navigate a little better. But really interested in 7

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Might Get Banned 4 This But found it to B Really Funny. Thought more would find it funny, then Offensive.

<removed - please post in it in the Friday Funnies in Safety Valve>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I must admit, I really do think Gigabyte have gone the way of Asus. After neither of the top end Gigabytes could handle dual graphics, I'm back on an Asus board for now. Would consider DFI but found out they're still as picky as ever with hardware (won't accept engineering sample graphics cards!). That basically leaves MSI and Biostar, as I don't intend to be a full-time Asus user.

Russ: With an i7 who cares? It's such high-end hardware that you'll either upgrade very shortly so not lose too much, or you'll keep it so long you'll pass more than one generation gap.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    All I'm saying is that Intel has done it before. They have had other platforms that they have abandoned. We had socket 4,5, 7, 2/3 for overdrive, Slot 1, 340, 478, LGA775. I'm not even sure if I missed any! I would still build a Core i7 rig if I could afford it, as it's going to be the fastest for a while to come, but the dollars just aren't there to do it!

Russ

13. ddp

russ, i think it is socket 370 not 340 & you missed socket 423 which is the 1st generation p4 cpu.

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Russ
    I agree that AMD is improving...I just didn't see so many different sockets coming so quickly from Intel...I think it is a move that is only going to confuse consumers...and make it hard for the retailers to get behind the various
    Intel platforms...who wants to get stuck with product that is outdated before you get it...I think this all bodes well for the 775 platform...
    I do have to disagree with putting the LGA775 as an under supported platform...I am happy with the various CPU options and length of time that it has ran...and still think it is the most relevant platform that is out right now..:)
    The one thing I see missing in the upcoming i7 platform that I hope Intel will address is a...High clocked...low wattage...duo core...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  15. greensman

greensman Regular member

I've said that to meself a few times. lol. I like the idea of the 775 reducing in price. ;) I just can't afford anything right now. I would be curious to build an AMD as well but again.... where da cash at?? lol.

...gm

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sorry,
    You misunderstood me. I was only listing all of the different platforms. I wasn't meaning to imply that LGA775 was under supported, but these are all the different platforms that Intel has brought out in the last 13-14 years or so. The only one still in existence is the LGA775!

As far as high speed dual cores for i7 go, I don't know how that would work. People will either have to pay a lot of money for the motherboard, or if they developed something cheaper just for the Dual Cores, it wouldn't be compatible with the Quads, so here comes another expensive upgrade path. The shame of it is, is that Intel didn't consider doing something like that long ago!

Russ

17. ddp

amd is no better as they have just as many socket versions of boards as intel does.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys i got something going on here. lastnight after i restarted after adding some programs i got a windows error. bout recovering from a serious error then again about 3:00am it shut down and restarted on its own while i was asleep... and then when i was trying to make this post the first time it shut down and rebooted on me. here is what the error is reporting from event viewer.

[​IMG]

it refers to windows server 2003 i dont have that????
    i am going to do a disckcheck on this hard drive to see if there is something there??

and now it has happend twice in 30 mins. it did start the disccheck but it happend so fast i didnt see if anything was wrong. how can i find out if it found something.?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

People routinely buy high end P45 boards for dual cores nowadays to squeeze big clocks out of them, and some of those boards are more expensive than i7 boards. You're still suggesting i7 hardware is the price it was when the stuff came out. It isn't, nowhere near.
    At first release, it would have cost me £600-£650 minimum to get the CPU, board and RAM for a 6GB i7 setup. Now I can do it for less than £500 if I want. A respectable quad core from 775 with the same features on the board and 4GB of RAM would still be at least £420. i7 just doesn't have the lower grade hardware. So what? A premium product at a premium price, and not that much of a premium either. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Rob: So is this with a different board now?

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yes sam its the ga-ep35c-ds3r board. works fine. im thinking it might have a problem with my card reader. i kept getting the safely remove hardware icon pop up in the taskbar. i clicked on it and it was in there to be removed.. so i have done that and havent had the shut down problem since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.