1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, possibly.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow! I wish Western Digital would create their own line of Sas(serial attached SCSI) drives! Anybody ever notice that there are more 15,000rpm drives than the 10,000rpm raptors? I suppose its darn near a pointless endeavor at this point though huh? Being the eve of Solid state that is. Ahhh but perhaps not. I myself wont trust SSD for quite some time! Unless its produced from reputable manufacturers! Must be a dying breed though, for most boards to not have Sas controllers.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

SAS is more server-oriented, which is why you don't see it.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Stingy Pricks!!! LOL, Totally joking! I saw how fast they were and felt a tinge of jealousy. I saw that the controllers are on a few intel boards. Haven't seen them on an amd board yet though. ehh...raptors are not far behind them. And im sure at 15,000rpms those poor sas drives are running themselves to death!!!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're quite reliable if I remember rightly, but quite noisy, and quite small, and very pricey! You're also right, the Velociraptors aren't too far behind. A RAID array of SAS drives though is a force to be reckoned with.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well the egg is sure showing good reviews! Wish I had the money for a controller and one of those Freaks! But then, the controllers are pretty spendy too! Sure would be spendy if a Raid of Sas were to fail! eewww...what a nasty thought LOL!

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, should be a nice step up from the WD5000AAKS :)

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Heh heh, I wouldnt knock it too hard. Ive heard that the 1TB FALS, tries to keep up with it, and ive noticed that alot of transfer speeds from the AAKS keep up with the FALS. Who knows though. Now I can run those benchs! Im sure that the veloci is considerably quicker though, given its latency!

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well its not the card reader causeing the reboots. hasnt been hooked up all day and it has shut down and rebooted and gotten the windows has recovered from a serious error 4 times. im wondering if it is the hard drive causeing the problem.
    going to bed now and im gonna install windows in the morning on my new 500gb segate and see if it does the same thing. i dont know what else it would be?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow rob! I hope you get this resolved! I hate it when there's a problem I just can't track down. I hope its not your Processor! Ive heard of people having WEIRD bugs do to faulty processors! Russ in particular!

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Is it overclocked at all? If not, try it with one stick of memory and see if the problem persists. I'm assuming that you have set the memory voltage, so that shouldn't be the problem. What you are describing, sounds like what happens if the voltage isn't high enough for two sticks. They call it a Cold Cycle Re-boot. Check the voltage with Everest and set in the bios accordingly. You can also set it, reboot and re-enter the bios. Then look in PC Health and see what the new voltage setting is.

I have to point out that the first sign of trouble I had with the CPU was an occasional re-boot for no reason, and after it recovered it gave the "Your System has Just Recovered From a Serious Error" message, followed by ODD Drive errors, or not working at all. After a few days of use it finally wouldn't boot at all! It wouldn't even post! Keep your eyes peeled for files that claim to be corrupt on your drive. If it starts claiming corrupt files for the opticals, or XP won't install because files are corrupt, then I would give consideration to looking closer at the CPU!

BTW I'm ordering 2 AD-7200A IDE's later tonight. Newegg only has the AD-7200 Sata's in Beige, and I don't feel like having to match black with a new paint job.

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know, I cant seem to find a way to do the product comparison on Newegg! How in the heck do you guys that use that function do it!!!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I've been doing this a long time and I never go by Newegg's specs or comparisons. I always go to the Product Page and check the specs there. If I'm still interested, I research it on the net. I also read the Newegg reviews, as I've developed a pretty good filter I call "The Idiot Factor"! I look at the worst first and decide what's valid. I mean, how can you count a guy that cut slots in his memory with a coping saw, because the notch didn't line up right! But it was still the memory's fault it didn't fit so he gave it one Egg, because it was Corsair! ROFL!! I learn as much as I can about what I want to buy and then make my choices. One thing I have learned, and that's not to research things to death! I look at it this way, If you've made the decision to buy something, unless someone has anything bad to say about it, for good reasons, then buy it and be done with it. I watch my friend Gina drive herself crazy that way. She'll ask me about something and when I give her my views, she spends the next month or two trying to show me my views are wrong! I love her to death, but if she was my wife, I'd have to stuff her head in the oven! I mean, she makes a Soap Opera out of computer componants! ROFLMSOAO!! She still has second thoughts even after the parts are installed and working. Then we play "What If" for the next few weeks! Oh and she's the worst Procrastinator I've ever seen! LOL!!

Russ

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ehh...newegg gives me SOME idea what im looking at. Then I research it further! Perhaps the worst procrastinator you've SEEN! NOT that you know though :) Im pretty bad man! LOL

I still haven't gone back in my tower to make things right. HDD's!!! I'd like to tidy up the wiring a little more, as well as ditch the iHAP422 ODD. However since I just bought the Velociraptor, its given me the excuse I need to put it off even longer LOL!!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Dude,
    You ain't even close! I built my friend Gina's computer about 3 years ago and she added a second hard drive, that failed. Last year at this time she called me all panicked that the 2 year warranty was about to run out and she hadn't sent the drive back yet. I did a little checking and I told her I found that the warranty was 3 years, not 2. I'm expecting the call, any day now. I know for sure that she hasn't sent it back yet! The worse part to me is that this drive has been in a drawer for almost 3 years doing nobody any good. I've already told her that if the replacement one dies after 2 months there would be no warranty at all! Oh, Worst of all is she needs the storage space for her work, music and DVD collection. She even went out and spent the money to to buy a 500GB External Sata Drive because she was running out of drive space! That's just Pathetic! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

hmmff! Yah...if a drive is failing, or any device for that matter, and its under warranty, the manufacturer can bet their sweet ^%$^* their gonna get that POS back!!! Im sick of spending my hard earned money on devices that get my hopes up, make me drool and disappoint me! LOL. Depending on the cost of course. Optical drives are a dime a dozen. Unless you REALLY get the run around, ehh russ ;)
    Kevin

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey, I just got the new bios for my MB and can finally get my memory to run in dual channel. Someone forgot to remind someone that the 7750BE was an AM2+ chip! I'm back to manual overclocking and it's running sweet. My memory bandwidth is 6100+ MB/s, and I applied a few things I've learned while using the OverDrive, and have turned on a number of things that were either on Auto or disabled, and it does run nice! I lost some speed using Overdrive, but I may use it to fiddle with the ACC, since the bios only offers me -2. From what I've read, - conserves power and + performs better. I'll have to try that and see how it works!

Russ

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

what is the mombo have the mem set at stock 1.8v? i do think the mem is only at a +.2 only putting the mem at 2.0v which it is rated at 2.1-2.2v.. ill try that before i try and install windows on the other drive... it went from 6:04pm lastnight to 7:28am this morning without rebooting and giveing that error.

well this is a little encouraging the mem was a little undervoltade at 2.04 instead of 2.1-2.2v, and its cas settings were 5-5-5-15 instead of 4-5-4-11. which i now have them volted to +.4 up to 2.2v and for right now i have the mem running stock speed as with the CPU stock at 3.0ghz if it proves to stay running at these settings i will try my CPU OC again then if it comes back it would point to the CPU haven issues. if so i will have to send it back and i know i will get a EO stepping now..lol i dont want ot go that route though.. but i do have my mobo out and ready for a RMA so if i can get the CPU at the same time that would be ok too.
    here is a shot of everest now with normal settings
    [​IMG]

EDITT:
    oh yea when i restarted after adjusting the mem i didnt get the recovering from a serious error popup that i would get everytime i restarted..so with any luck that fixed my problem...undervoltage???? wow learn something new everyday.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not how warranties are supposed to work I don't think. If it does, make a big fuss and you should get away with it.

Rob: I usually use +0.3. Man, it was a surprise when I got the Asus board finding that I could just type in the values I wanted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.