1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

funny you say that sam. and im not bashing gigabyte or praiseing htem,but on my GA-EP45-DS3R i could type in my volts and for the cas settings as well just hit the numbers instead of going to a list of volts/numbers to choose from. so when i went into the bios on this GA-EP35C-DS3R it threw me cause i tried typeing the settings and couldnt...lol

i guess i could have used +.3 but i wanted to be sure. its max setting is 2.2v so i went taht way. if this does prove to be the fix i will try +.3 and see how it responds there.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, it's specific to the P45 chipset boards. The X38s and X48s don't have that ability.
    In my experience, +0.35 got me 2.19V, +0.3 got me 2.15V.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i am at 2.24v so that might be a tad high, so i might take it down to +.3v wish there was a .35 setting..lol

ripping a dvd now 7.6gb(poltergeist) and gonna run dvdrebuilder pro and see how it reacts.. ***FINGERS CROSSED***

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah 2.24 is a bit high. I'm certain there was a +0.35V on my X38 and X48.... :S

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

dont remember on my P45 board tbh.

i do have a pic i took of the screen when it went down and got the blue screen ill get it off my camera soon and post it.

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok now when i try t oopen anything i get this error. starting to point to the hdd or bad windows install???

whats that mean.

i was in the middle of dvdrebuilder running and it stopped said something about the encoder not working or something like that. so i went to click on the notepad log and got that. then when i tried ot openother stuff i kept getting it?????

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Starting to sound more like a disk problem to me.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yep me too. i rebooted the puter and everything is ok now. im gonna try rebuilder again. then im gonna install windows on the other hdd.

well i just ran dvd-rebuilder with 2 passes on a 7.6gb movie only took 40 mins. then i ran convertXtodvd no problems.

here is what i changed in bios.
    changed mem to +.3 mem is volted at 2.14v now.
    i changed my cpu multiplier to 8.5x and have freq. set at 400 OC'd to 3.4ghz and mem in auto running at 800mhz. normal speed.
    its been at this setting for a hour now. no problems(knocking on wood) im gonna leave it here and see if it reboots and gets the windows error. it hasnt the last 2 restarts....

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i was scared to do this but i did. intelburntest. yup passed.

[​IMG]

hopeing all is well now

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Motherboards have no way to detect the memory voltage needed so most set it to 1.8v so it doesn't fry lower voltage memory. Some times you have to boot it up with only one stick to get it to post so you can manually set the memory voltage. I've even seen rare instances where you had to put a lower voltage stick in it just to get it to post, very common a couple of years ago in the 965P days!

Best Regards and hope it's fixed,
    Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On Auto volts, all three of my Gigabyte boards have set RAM to 2.14V.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I've never set it to Auto volts, so I didn't know that. All the memory I've used for my own builds has all been 2.0-2.2v. The problem occurs when it won't post, because you can't get in the setup to raise the voltage. Like I said, it's rare today, to have to do that. In the 965P days and the very early P-35's, it was a common problem! The only one I ever had to put a single stick in to get it to boot up so I could adjust the memory voltage was Gina's P5N-E!

Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha funny, my P5N-E wouldn't accept the 2x512MB, but worked fine with the 2x1GB.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Auto volts huh? Something tells me that wouldnt be a good idea in an overclock situation! If the mobo would even let you LOL!

Hey russ. I Cant find the voltage max for my board! Alls I see is a 1.8 standard on the Gigabyte site! Surely its more than that!!! How many volts do you think the slots can take?

Kevin

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    That's because of the JEDEC or whatever it's called, standard for 800 MHz memory. Since most 1066 memory isn't detected as 1066, it defaults to 800MHz 1.8v memory. Here's my Everest memory speed page!

[​IMG]

Notice at the top that it correctly shows the model as 8500 memory but shows the spec for 800MHz memory at 1.8v, then notice at the bottom that it's shown as 1066 and 2.1v, because that's what it's running at! I think the highest voltage I've seen for DDR2 memory is 2.2v!

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145165
    There you go. Now you've seen 2.4v! Do you think the Giga board(Mine) could take it?

Not that im considering this ram. Cause IM NOT! Bad reviews, plus I'd like to move on to the 1066 standard! Is it true that the board/Cpu can only support 2 sticks @ 1066(533)???

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Pick on these if you're looking for 2GB total. :) linky

...gm

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

First...HOW IN THE HECK are you guys doing the price/spec comparison. The comparison view. GM, pretty pretty please :)

Thats pretty much the trade off isnt it. 2gb and fast(1066mhz), or 4gb+ and slower(800mhz)!

Ok...do I need something installed to view the side by side? Because im still at a loss!!!

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I think that's a misprint, because I had a pair of those, and they were only 2.1v. I think the highest you can go is 2.35v. You wouldn't want to use 800MHz in yours anyway as it will limit your overclock. You really need 1066MHz memory. Even if it winds up underclocked a bit, it will work just fine. No guarantee with 800MHz memory in the same situation at anything over 800MHz. I like the 1066 because at 3.2gHz, if I want to go higher, I just adjust the multiplier down from 533 to a lower one and continue going up with the overclock! I made that mistake with the E6750, and it hurt my performance until I got the 1066 Dominators. Only then was I able to get below 14 seconds with SuperPi 1M at 13.859 seconds!

Russ

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just in case. ;) Click the little box to the left of the product, more than one of course and then click the COMPARE "button" at the top or bottom of the page. :) hth....

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.