The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, 6400 is what im running :( See...I wanted more capacity. for 64bit operating. I was under the impression that going with 1066(533), that I could only utilize 2 slots in that fashion. Otherwise I have to go with the 800(400)! And yet, I read somewhere that the board also supports 1200 memory!

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, I cant believe that didnt occur to me. YOU are the man GM! Thanks much! Ive been wondering that for a while now! :D

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Check out this little page as well. NOT pushing or trying to fanboy out on you but hey... they is a GOOD company. :)

link to Mushkin 1066 RAM

...gm

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Actually, that wouldnt be the first time ive heard that. Actually ive been itching to give them a shot! Thanks! :)

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Kevin,
    the DS4H memory standard is 1066, but you can easily overclock it higher. The UD4H memory standard is 1200! I have no idea how AMD's react to all 4 slots populated when overclocking. For 64 bit Windows, you should be able to use all 4 slots and recognize 6 to 7 MB of it. Depends on the amount of memory in the video card. I'm currently showing 3.25GB of memory in Windows, out of 4GB, and 512MB of the missing memory from the 4GB is the video card, so I only lose .25GB! 64 bit would give my system 6.50GB with all 4 slots used.

I only played around with the 64 bit Windows a little bit. Have you had any problems with any programs not working with 64? I'm about to do a total wipe of the C drove and start over, and I'm considering using the 64 bit Windows this time. Anything special I need to know?
    There's a new bios available for your MB, F4A. I would recommend you download it and flash the bios, if you haven't already! I use QFlash in the setup to do it. Also remember to turn it off, pull the power plug and either short the clear CMOS pins, or remove the battery. Don't forget to set the date or it will trigger a Windows Genuine check on your copy of windows! On mine the default date is 2020! LOL!!

Russ

Russ

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

XP x64 had pretty dire support, but 64-bit Vista is alright.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Sorry, but Vista and alright are not synonymous! LOL!! Vista isn't even in my vocabulary! Well it is, but only as a dirty word! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

EDIT for link
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2887#anchor_os

JRS

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, LOL! Thank you. You just made my day. Actually, ive never ran XP64! I did run Windows 7 64bit. It was quite nice indeed! I only encountered one software issue. Google desktop. And When I tried to FORCE install it, after restart, it locked up one out of two of my cores! Its a good thing it wasnt a single core LOL!

Check out this page. It says my board supports 1200
    http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ma790gp-ds4h.pdf

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Do you really think that a new BIOS is warranted? Do I really need it?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Kevin,
    That's why it says "downgrade from 1066". I have no idea why they consider it a downgrade as it just means that they don't officially support it, but it will overclock to those speeds easily!

Don't forget the bios flash. It should give you a few more features in the setup!

Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah well, XP 64-bit is, if you can imagine it, worse than Vista!

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So you think 1066 is a good way to go, It will handle 8gb, and overclock to 1200 provided its good memory. Is all of this correct?

And flashing to the new bios will remember my current settings right? Even though I remember them :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So is the 'only 2 sticks of PC8500 or higher are supported' not true?

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Kevin,
    1066 or 1200 is the way to go. I wouldn't plan too heavily on getting to 1200 with 1066 memory though. 1200 memory would be better, but then there's the cost!

NO!!!!!!! Flashing will remember nothing from before. You only pull the batter or short the CMOS pins to be 100% certain it's cleared. So be sure and write down your settings first! LOL!! (I remember mine too! LOL!!)

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I have no idea where you are getting that from. I know with mine it depends on whether you use a socket AM2+ CPU or one of the older AM2's! I had no way to enable dual channel with mine until I upgraded the bios, because someone forgot the Kuma was an AM2+ chip. Works fine now, and it gave me some more adjustments in the setup! I was still able to get it to 1066 though only single channel before the flash.

I have an interesting thought for you. I know all about overclocking, and the problems you can have with all the memory slots full. That got me to thinking that if you want to populate all the slots, overclock it with two sticks and add the others after you are done overclocking. I did that with both the P-940 on DDR and the E6750 on DDR2 and it worked fine, but if I tried to overclock while all 4 slots are full, I had problems. I know it the D-940 ran fine at 3.81GHz that way, and the memory wasn't even the same latency. The two I added were Corsair Value Select cas 2.5 and I added then to a pair of Corsair XMS cas 2 modules and it ran fine at cas 2! Same way with the E6750, but the latency and brand were the same but two were 2GB Dominators and the other 2 were 1GB Dominators. It ran fine! Maybe I've just discovered something I didn't recognize for what it was back then. I'll have to try that with mine sometime and see!

Russ

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've read about a lot of instances where the onboard memory controller on AMD chips only supports PC8500 in 2 sticks, you have to use PC6400 for any more. I kno this is the case for the LE chips and not the case for Phenom 2s, but wasn't sure about the 7750.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's true with all the non Phenom/Phenom II based chips as they are socket AM2+. All socket AM2 chips have that limit! I had completely forgotten about that! LOL!! The 7750BE is a socket AM2+ chip, because it's half a Phenom Quad. In fact I'm going to load the newest version of AMD OverDrive and see if it now works with my CPU. It didn't recognize it before!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So it's a limitation of AM2 but not AM2+?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.