1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ, is that version 2.16?

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Good Point! To me, 1066 is guaranteed to run at 1066, while there are no guarantees that you will be able to overclock 800MHz memory at all. I had some that would clock to 1040, and others that wouldn't make 900.

Russ

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

No, it's version 215. I'm using 211 right now, although it's OC'd in the bios, I still want to dee if 215 recognizes the CPU. If it doesn't it won't work!

Russ

4. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I got my case today...and its not painted...Its a foil paper appliqué...in other words a Freaking Sticker...

It is the cheapest looking piece of shit...I have ever Freaking Seen...

I am so Freaking Mad I can't believe that they were actually selling these things...The whole Diamond Plate pattern is a cheap paper foil sticker...with the skulls and accents...painted...on the cheap foil paper diamond plate sticker...

You can't wipe it down without marring the shit out of it...because its freaking paper...I still can't believe it...

I am returning everything...and newegg had better pay for return shipping..and they better not try and charge me any restocking fees...
    I'm so freaking mad...I'm ready to break this keyboard in half..}:(
    Case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119176

sorry ddp...I will remove the bad words in a minute...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem. is it aluminum foil paper sticker?

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Its like cheap foil contact paper...and it covers basically the whole exterior of the case...there is no way this thing could last...if you wipe it with the softest microfiber cloth...it scratches...its simply a contact paper covering...that was been accented with paint...

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hmmm now! My memory is rated at 2.0V and is running at 1.9 while overclocked! Its currently running at 824MHZ(412)! Not much, I know. But, if it hasnt even required a voltage bump, It might just allow a bit more huh! Given most manufacturers underrate their...stuff, it would probably handle 2.1V or more. Though I probably wouldnt push 2.1V with out yet another cooler!

I've heard for years, that Kingston, and crucial memory are THE ONES!!! "crème de la crème" Now...im not trying to start some fanboy explosion. Most people im sure will appreciate this statement. Given 90%+ people I talk to SWEAR by kingston or crucial. However, ive heard that Crucial may be going down the...eh hem...crapper! <---if this is inappropriate i'll remove it. And im also open to new manufacturers! Heck, GM recommended Mushkin, and rekindled an interest, so im gonna give theirs a shot! They are getting pretty strong reviews!

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm sure glad you changed those words as I've never heard those before and I might be upset to learn one of my most respected members has tainted a thread at AD. hehehee. :p

Man.. that stinks!!!! So you're really gonna return everything to the EGG?? NOT just the case? I'll be honest, I don't understand that. lol. It's not the EGG's fault and you wanna build an i7 anyway... :) You just need a "BETTER" and "CHEAPER" case. lol. :p

....gm

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

How many of you all have seen THIS FREAK! Its a scythe cpu cooler. Run a http://images.google.com/ search and you'll bump into it. Ive seen bigger too. Almost the size of the board!!! Who would wanna maneuver around all of that! Or remove it for that matter LOL!
    [​IMG]

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Greenie,
    I'm just really pissed at Cooler Master for the dishonesty in how they represented this product...ITS CONTACT PAPER...Its the same stuff you can buy at Pepboys...
    I bought the i7 to have something to stick in the case...I had made the decision to buy the case...and they just happened to have a good sale on the i7 that same day...as there shell shocker...
    @omegaman7
    I've seen those before...I have sythe zipang...the little brother to that cooler on my X48...its mounted flat in a HTCP...I would be hesitant to mount vertical...
    Here's a pic of the case...and since I had the camera plugged in...here is my house under construction...we started Audio Video wiring and A/C ducting yesterday...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Contact paper huh! Sounds like i'd be just as angry! I hope you get it straightened out! Too bad too. Pretty sharp lookin case! Although myself, im not into the door design. I like to see my optical drives, as well as other devices :D But thats just me.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Kingston are OK, but I see a lot of DOAs. Crucial used to be great but, especially for higher speeds, have gone down the drain. OCZ are exactly the same in this regard, used to be good, and are now pretty mediocre. So far, I haven't heard much bad from Mushkin, G-Skill or Corsair, but tend to recommend the latter for familiarity and compatibility's sake.
    To be honest, I never liked the CSX cases to start with (though only for the design they applied ad the price), but that looks pretty terrible, I can see from here. Nowhere near worth its price. Being brutally honest, Coolermaster top out maybe two thirds of the way along the quality chain. I love the HAF932 but on several occasions wished it had been a bit better made. The build quality of my NZXT Lexa was much better (though some of their design choices are questionable). The Lexa Blackline is probably about the same. Still, better than Thermaltake by a long way.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

OM7
    STAY AWAY FROM CRUCIAL PLEASE!!!!!!!!

mushkin is awesome. just dont undervolt them....lmao

well ts been 24 hours now since i set my volts right. no problems what so ever. so im safe to say all is well again. just waiting to here from gigabyte about my RMA number.. n event manager there is nothing to show for the last 24hrs. im happy again..lol

question. my Mushkin mem cas setting is 4-5-4-11. if it was set to 5-5-5-15 and not OC'd would that effect how it was running as well? running loose and not OC'd
    when Will put it all together again he left the settings for his 1066 mem and forgot to change to my settings. i was wondering how it effects being loose and not oc'd.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob with what you do I don't think you will notice a difference. ;) I have my RAM set at 5-5-5-15 but it's 1066 so that's fairly tight for the speed it's running at. ;) I think the "tweaker" like Sammy and Russ would better answer that but I still think your setup isn't gonna notice a change with tighter settings. :D

....gm

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

guess i should put it this way. would it be part of the cause of the rebooting i was getting not being at its "set" settings?

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I did mention that it seemed like Crucial was going down hill. :)
    Never had even a hiccup from kingston. Nor have I heard of friends having problems with kingston. But I do like giving new(to me) manufacturers a shot. So mushkin may be my new favorite.

Rob, I havnt overclocked much, but when hardware is picky, or faulty...
    What I would do is run a bootable memtest, and run it after overclock.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

If you mean RAM timings.. I say no.... but if you mean Voltage then I say yes. The RAM has to have enough volts to operate and on those I think 2.0-2.2 is recommended. :) I hope that answered something for you. :D

...gm

19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Newegg is sending return labels...so I can ship on there dime...I guess I will think about returning the i7...
    I just don't know what case I want...maybe it is time to just have one painted locally...
    That is one good thing about living in Modesto...there are a lot of custom hot rod shops...with great painters...I guess it is time for the Lp531 Imperial Guard case...

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOW you're thinking outside the box. :p Looks for Star Wars theme song. :p

You might look at some of the Lian Li cases Lp531... They is really good once you get to $100 or so. :)

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.