1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seen this?
    [​IMG]

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You are right it is a freak! The only problem with it is they don't cool worth a crap inside a case because the air flow is 90 degrees the wrong way! They work great breadboard style like the way they test them all the time in reviews, but inside a case is an entirely different storry!

Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, such coolers are a bit of a bunk. If you have a case like the Antec nine hundred, NZXT Tempest or Coolermaster HAF with a big top fan it doesn't matter if a tower-style cooler is 90 degrees swivelled, but having the fan face the same way as the CPU itself is a big nono in any environment.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So...do you think 8gb of these modules would run pretty good? LOL, the cheaper ones! The more expensive ones look like they could be taller. Im not into having to screw with my CPU cooler! Wow, my computer is running pretty smooth as it is. Could be a little better, but if this memory does it ANY justice, im in for a treat!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're unlikely to see much of a difference in anything but certain video encoding apps. PC8500 works wonders for overclocks though if you need a high bus speed. Fortunately, the required bus speed for AMDs is usually very low, but I don't know if it supports 2:1 memory speeds.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know what...Im just gonna do it!
    1. The cpu wants them, LOL(1066 Standard)
    2. I wanna increase my capacity, and my kingstons are a deactivated item. (which is fine)
    3. My overclocking should be much smoother
    4. Bragging rights!
    OK, that last one was a joke. Hardly viable LOL!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Yes it does. It has a x533 multiplier if you have an AM2+ chip. I'm doing some experimenting in the setup and it's running at 3.1GHz at the moment, but the memory is still running 1066, or more correctly 533x2. When I get it back to 3.2GHz it will still be running at 1066!

I got my AD-7220s Burners this morning. Memo to GigaByte, "turn the Damn Sata ports toward the top of the computer, not the front. You can't see the port to plug it in, in most cases unless they are very deep! I have enough room, but the HDD Bay keeps me from being able to see the ports, so you have to use the braille method"! Fortunately, all the connectors are oriented like a capital "L" turned clockwise 90 degrees, but they are a little tighter than most Sata ports, as they're solid, not hollow like the ones that you normally find, so it's a little harder to get them plugged in. Good idea for a good connection, but..........!

I do have one question. How do you turn on UDMA for the ODDs? Normally I go to the hardware Manager, Device Manager and "R" click on the drive and click Properties and then Advanced, but there is no advanced! Is it automatic or something?

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No need for S-ATA, PIO doesn't exist.
    I agree with side-angled S-ATA cables, but only if you use a relatively large case and have a small graphics card - not a very common combination.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOL!! Even with a large graphics card, you should be able to run them underneath the card. While you might have to pull the card to initially install the S-ata Cables, most often once installed, they remain installed. Even if I removed something, I would still leave the cable, as there's no good reason to remove it, and sooner or later you will use it!!

Russ

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well now! I almost feel like I should have held out for this board! Dont get me wrong russ. I like my board a lot!!! But I also like a lot of S-ata ports LOL! This one has 10!And its also AM3
    http://www.links.co.jp/items/hihg_ma790fxt-ud5p_f.jpg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128377
    I should be set for quite a while though. And besides in a year(maybe less) it could be substantially less! Then I could do something else with this board! Perhaps tinker with water cooling :D

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    It's unfortunate that it's only for Socket AM3 and DDR3! LOL!!

Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

\
    Indeed! Expensive build! whoa whoa whoa! I think ive overlooked something. Am I to understand, that AM2+ Phenom II Deneb 3.0GHZ will NOT work in this board??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ahhh...I think I understand now. AM3 CHIPS (cpu's) are backwards compatible(depending on the board, and to some extent), But the AM3 SOCKETS are not! So if I build an AM3 build, with the FX board, im gonna have to shell out some SERIOUS dough!!! Yup, im ok for now LOL! Im not gonna spend a red cent on AM3 for quite some time. Probably never actually! I'll probably wait for AM4 or whatever they call the next form factor!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Actually the first Phenom II, AM3 is not backward compatible with AM2 or AM2+ as it only has the DDR3 memory controller. The super whoopie Phenom II, that's due out late may early June, will have both as well as the Metal Gate transistors. What AMD has done so far, hasn't included that tech yet, but the wattage should be a bit lower, say about 25-35% less! That 125w chip will be down to about 95w and the 95w ones should get to about 65w!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I know that I read that there was no DDR2 controller on the February release of the AM3 Phenom II. It's planned for future releases! I'm almost certain of that because I did a lot of digging to find out!

Russ

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

OM7/Russ - Surely all these AMD discussions (not excluding the thousands of exclamation marks every few words) are better placed in the AMD building thread ?.
    Just an observation.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That board's been out for a while, the price and requisite DDR3 put a lot of people off. For that money there's little stopping you from going i7 instead. Pre-rebate the EX58-UD3R is $20 more, only $5 more post-rebate, and the i7 920 is only $65 more than the Phenom II 940.

Creaky: To be fair, PC building can cover either brand. If someone's just built their system using an AMD and are considering other components, I don't think we should object to that. It's not like AMD have been relegated to their own little thread...

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL. Fair enough. I'll attempt to minimize the exclamations. For me, they simply convey/explain...anger, excitement, EMOTION!!! LOL
    I didnt know there was an AMD thread. Thats kinda bias isnt it? Not a stab at you creaky :)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL.
    Living
    Under
    Rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.