1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i don't disagree, no objections at all :), i was just thinking that those that go looking for AMD info in there wouldn't find it (we all know how too many people won't go looking for info even if pushed); i guess it's the lazy peoples' fault if they miss info at the end of the day, no worries.

Om7 - don't minimize your excitement on my account, i just find yours and Russ's posts amusing, the exclamation marks make it look (to me anyway) that you're both always talking in fast, high pitched voices.
    Don't change it, i have to get some amusement somewhere LOL (i'm just someone who doesn't get excited about anything at all, i'm just matter of fact about everything, no reason why other people can't have emotions though!)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, I always thought that too, like an excitable child (not meant in a disrespectful way).

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Perhaps buddy. Perhaps.

Its pretty rare that I browse the threads. Or at least its been a while. When I have a problem, I run an appropriate search, if I find nothing, I begin a new thread. Somebody mentioned THIS thread a while back. Thats when I jumped in! :D This thread as a pretty GENERAL title. It can mean MANY things! So there really isnt a need to search out a specific topic. E.G. Amd builders thread. However when one has multiple or specific questions regarding, AMD, Graphics, Optical drives, etc. There are forums that deal in it QUITE nicely! And in fact, if a person wants the best help they can get, its in their best interest to find that specific thread.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Creaky was talking about me with the exclamations! LOL!! Did you happen to see LP inder that rock! I started an AMD building thread several months ago. LP wasn't around then, but where were you! Ha Ha!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/719940/4584150-409031

I'm going to direct this conversation to it from now on!

Russ

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Nah, Oman7 has overtaken you in the exclamation mark awards; as i say i don't do excitement but i amuse myself at other peoples' expense as i'm a cheapskate :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Is that so!!! LOL. :D

Well...I get my baby tomorrow. The velociraptor 150gb that is. I cant wait to bench the living &^%&#* out of it! LOL!

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

creaky, cheapskate is an understatement!!!

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@ Russ,
    Just been busy...with business...
    I'm surprised Creaky didn't say anything about my use of...

Ok...I need some case suggestions...if I am going to keep this i7...
    I am looking at the Silverstone...or possibly a Mountain Mod...
    I need a unique case...something to get me excited about this build again...
    This is the one I like the most...with the black wrinkle finish...No Windows...Mountain Mod Pinnacle18
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Very interested, omegaman. If it turns out well, I may well buy one myself.

Lp: i7s are relatively hot CPUs, but you're sorted as long as you get a good cooler, and have a large rear and top fan. There are several cases that can do that, as low down as the Antec 900 or NZXT Tempest. I absolutely rely on having side fans to cool powerful graphics cards and strongly recommend anyone with a game system to do the same, but if it's only the CPU you're spending for, any case like that Mountain Mod will do.

In other news, my Server's Stock heatsink fan keeps speeding up. It used to have a max speed of around 2000rpm. Today it nudged 2800rpm. Perhaps a bit over-zealous for a CPU temp of 39ÂșC...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Sam,
    I will have them add a side fan...No Window...just a fan...maybe a 250mm instead of a 120...that would give it...(8) 120mm and (1) 250mm...
    I think I am going to get the Mountain Mod...so far it is the only case that gets me excited...
    I really like the heavy gauge aluminum construction...with the black wrinkle finish...it should be virtually mar proof...

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Im goin in!!! LOL. Just got my Veloci. Have just enough time before work to run a couple bench marks! Little disappointed with the way newegg packed it though. In my opinion, both the HDD and the ODD should have been packed in the middle of the foam, NOT on top! They must have kids working for them. You know...the ones that dont give a ....
    I work at UPS though. The box looks like it was treated well. Believe it or not, the percentage of damages that go through our hubs are extremely low! Infact at our hub its probably about 1/25-50,000 pkgs. So the odds of it happening to you or I is NOT very good.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If there's one thing I do see Newegg criticised for, it's packaging. Fortunately all the drives I've bought usually come sandwiched in foam.
    As for UPS, I think a fair few aD users would beg to differ, it's not how they are as they arrive at the hub, it's how they're treated on the way to their final destination that people moan about, and trust me, there are a lot of 'don't use UPS, use FedEx' comments on Newegg. Far more than the reverse. This is merely subjective, Not being a US citizen I can't comment personally (or, with any bias).

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    To be completely honest here, it depends on where you are located. Here, FedEx totally sucks. Someone there, stole a CM Cavalier case I ordered, only to have it show up in the back of one of their trucks one morning, about 20 days after FedEx started a 21 day investigation into the missing case. It was delivered the same day as the replacement that Newegg sent me, with the box all smashed up. Incredibly, the case didn't have a scratch on it. The reason the box was all smashed up was because the FedEx employee who stole it, had removed it from the box, and then when the heat was on repacked it with the Styrofoam end caps put on the wrong way, and the box broke open. That's the case Newegg told me to keep, for my inconvenience! Another time they "Air Mailed" an HDD by throwing the package over the fence, about 50' into the middle of my front yard. It landed badly and the drive was toast! I've had minimal problems with UPS. considering how much I buy from Newegg, they've yet to break anything, and have only lost one package, which they did find and deliver the day after I reported it missing. When I shipped Gina's computer I built for her (minus the CPU Cooler) to Chicago, it arrived without a scratch!

I sincerely hope the Royal Mail is better than USPS. Here, they lose stuff all the time. It's a 50-50 proposition that it will ever get there at all, yet if I ship to Europe, it always gets there! A package I sent to Will, got lost because the label had been ripped off the box somehow, at the local Post Office. I asked my Mailman to check it out for me and he found and returned the box to me. All I had to do was describe the contents, and then he gave it to me! Nice guy!

Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

First...Russ, dude, you got some bad luck man! Thats horrible!!!
    On another note, the VelociRaptor is AWESOME!!! I havnt been running it an hour and love it already. Gonna have to install some MOBO drivers though to get the Windows 7 score! It couldnt continue with the testing because of drivers(I BELIEVE)!
    Anyway, performance test was able to test the Raptor for performance so here they are!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Overall, when you consider that I get about 200 packages a year or more, It's not that bad at all! I am a person who's luck seems to run in streaks though, to both extremes! LOL!! My only question is why do I almost never have problems with customer stuff, only my own personal computer seems to wind up giving me grief! LOL!!

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well then...you should be do for a good luck streak, Right? LOL!

17. dru3692

dru3692 Member

working on my first build. Using Asus m3a78-em motherboard. Turned it on for the first time and 'no VGA'. Suggestions? What other info do you need?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Did you connect the 4-pin CPU power connector? Is the RAM securely seated?

19. dru3692

dru3692 Member

I plugged in the 20 pin, 4 pin next to the 20 pin, and there was another 4 pin that was on a separate cable that plugged in to the atx12a socket.

Also, I found it strange that the machine will turn off when laid on its side. So, is the motherboard supposed to be grounded somehow? if so, how and where? through mounting screws?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You use the standoffs that came with the case to elevate it. Screw the standoffs into the holes in the case by hand, then screw the board into those.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.