1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dru3692

dru3692 Member

okay, i feel a little ridiculous for missing those standoffs. Wondered why there was such a large gap between the MB and the case.

I removed and reinstalled the MB with the standoffs. You can now lay the pc on its side without it powering off. However, still no output to the monitor using the VGA

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you might have shorted the board out when you didn't install the standoffs. try clearing the cmos as have found that to work sometimes to kickstart a stubborn system.

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

My Question is a install manual should have came with the board in the box unless it's a used board if he bolted that board to that case without the stands he would have got some great sparks flying from the that case...please post a link to the board you got so we can see what your working with and also your case...cause we are kinda in the dark without seeing what you got there

thanks

never mind i found a link to your board
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...hooSSP-_-Motherboards+-+AMD-_-ASUS-_-13131324

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    With a lot of today's power supplies you wouldn't get any sparks at all. The PSU should have shut down if therer was a short like that! A dead short most times is an instant off!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. dru3692

dru3692 Member

I too believe that the board shorted out against the case metal. If so, what's the liklihood that the board is still usable? How sensitive are these MB's? Does the auto shut off feature of the PSU help to preserve the life of the MB?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It's not sounding too good for the board.

It's not so much a shut off feature, it's just the way most modern PSU's work. Generally a dead short should cause the PSU to shut off to prevent damage to itself! It depends entirely what path the electricity took before the short. Try a video card in it, if you can. If you are using DVI for the monitor, try the VGA.

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Totally agree with you russ. NOT good!!! Though some electrical devices are pretty versatile. It does depend however, how many times a power up was attempted, how bad the short was, direction the electricity took, etc, etc.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, if it was shorting any major, the PSU would have shut the board down instantly. The board may not have survived this incident of course.
    Boards tend to be pretty resilient to static these days, but not to being shorted. Try your luck, you might be successful.

9. dru3692

dru3692 Member

Attempted to boot up using the DVI instead of VGA but still no luck. I guess I am going to try to send back for an exchange if they will let me.

Once I have another MB, reinstalling the processor means that I need to remove the fan, clean the thermal compound off, and reapply, correct?

Also, I think it is worth mentioning that the thermal compound on the freezer cpu cooler did not completely cover the processor. Is this okay? Seems like the outer edges of the processor would not be cooled properly/efficiently?

Here is what I'm working with:

* Rosewill R6426-P BK ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail45945647 (N82E16811147068)
    * 3/23/2009
    * Write45945647

* OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail45527280 (N82E16817341010)
    * 3/11/2009
    * Write45527280

* Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM45527280 (N82E16822148262)
    * 3/11/2009
    * Write45527280

* CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail45527280 (N82E16820145184)
    * 3/11/2009
    * Write45527280

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor Model AD775ZWCGHBOX - Retail45527280 (N82E16819103300)
    * 3/11/2009
    * Write45527280

* ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail45527280 (N82E16835185125)
    * 3/11/2009
    * Write45527280

* ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail45527280 (N82E16813131324)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is best practice. Unlike proper thermal paste, the thermal pad that comes pre-applied to coolers does not work at all well once the cooler has been removed. However, in the case of the Freezer 64 coolers I'm unsure. I redo it anyway, but you it may not be necessary. Any new generation Freezer owners care to shed any light on this?

If the thermal pad was not making good contact, the system would still boot, but run hot, or shut down after a certain period.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

I want to add something to the building of computers here. NEVER be afraid to read some extra or ask questions of your friends/peers/members here at aD or in this thread specifically. I know that I've bugged the crap out of some members here and other forums. lol. Mort81, docTY (kivory666), Sophy, Russ (theonejrs), BroBear, Sammy (sammorris), cincyrob, and some others I'm sure to forget but that's beside the point. They were more than willing to help me make the right decisions or at least provide some info and lemme make that decision. :) I've completely built 6 computers (different ones) and messed with a few others since joining here. I know, NOT that many but I've learned plenty from those builds and learn from all the "posts" you people make here to further my education.

What I'm saying is be sure to check with your sources before you start your build. It'll save you some time I'm sure and definitely save you some components. I'm not picking on the idividual that "sparked" his mobo just adding to the experience for others to come. I BET you a large amount of money that fella will NEVER forget to use risers again. lol. We learn by doing and sometimes that means doing it wrong. I've done it plenty of times but NOT to many times with computers. lol. Been lucky there kinda like Russ was talking about earlier. :p @ Russ. :)

Ok.. enough of this "mushy sh..ow of emotion"..... :)

.....gm

add: HAPPY COMPUTING and more importantly... Happy Building. :D

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I do my best not to criticise mistakes like these, foremost because I've made most of them myself! The only thing I object to is people asking your advice and then ignoring it, especially with regard to PSUs, that really winds me up. Other than that, I'll try and play nice... :)

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sammy I'm with you. I always redo my application of thermal paste when changing out the cooler. I'm even so anal I remove the paste from the cooler and apply my favorite paste in stock. lol. OCZ Freeze, AS5, or MX-2 I think it is. ;) Those are some good pastes from what I can tell and all work about the same for cooling but I like the NON-conductivity of the OCZ Freeze and MX-2. ;)

...gm

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, my current favourite is OCZ Freeze, but in the lack of having anything other than TR ChillFactor to hand the last time I moved my CPU (The HAF move), I borrowed some AS5, still does a good job.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOL. I'm a little over the top when it comes to PSU's now. I like more power just like Tim the Tool Man. lol. :p I've got where I look for modular PSU's now tho... I just like the convenience of NOT having all those wires in there if you don't need them. :D

...gm

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Modular any time for me. Modular PSUs to me are the 'finished product', they're more expensive yes, but not only are they more complex in design, but also almost always quieter.

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

yes it does...I perfer using rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip cause it drys fast does'nt leave any residue behind on the surface...and also use it to clean my fans and heatsinks in my cases sometimes also...

Will:)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    All Arctic Cooling's coolers come with MX-2 pre-applied. It's not a Thermal pad. The only down side that I can see is that you have to be a bit careful when handling the cooler as the MX-2 never dries out and it's all too easy to get it on your hands or clothes once you've removed the plastic protective cap from the bottom of the cooler! The pre-applied MX-2 works very well, and I've never had to do one over yet. You don't even have to clean it off, if you remove and re-install the cooler. Just add a bb sized drop to the the center of the CPU, Install, use a paper towel to wipe any excess from the edges of the cooler and CPU, and it's good to go! Very good thermal paste!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Had to go round to my brother's the other day as one of his pc's was dead. Got him to do loads of troubleshooting before i got there but the point of my post is that eventually (and as a last resort) i swapped out the graphics card (Nvidia 9200 something or other) and tried an olde worlde Matrox Millenium II card. Sure enough the pc sprung into life.
    Found another graphics card to use as a replacement until he buys a new one, but the autopsy revealed that the thermal paste under the heatsink was completely and utterly dead. I have never seen thermal paste look and feel like a badly burnt crusty and cremated dinner before so it obviously died due to heatstroke. Checked the other 9200 card (he always buys things in two's) and the thermal paste was still white, still had a consistency to it, and most importantly the paste was still alive. He'll no doubt replace it with another 9200 but i'm sure he'll be checking the thermal paste this time.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

"Matrox Hammerheads Forever"! LOL!! Super good card for it's day, about 8-9 years ago! Mandatory for serious AutoCad users in those days! The Dell 420 Workstation came with one when I bought it.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.