1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Stock coolers and their thermal paste, I dunno. Asus are the worst for that, some of the Maximus II Formula chipsets reached 80ºC as the stuff was faulty from the outset. Reseat, refit with Arctic and you see temps in the 40s!

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I was meaning that if you remove an Arctic Cooler and re-install it, not stock coolers. I wouldn't trust the crap they pre-apply on those at all!

Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was referring to Creaky's graphics incidents, not the Freezer 64.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...my mothers in the market for a CHEAP PSU! Any thoughts on these PSU's much appreciated! She REALLY doesn't wanna spend more than 40$ soo...

her current supply works, it simply produces a VERY obnoxious sound! Ive replaced a fan in it once, and am not in the mood to tangle with it again. She doesnt need much, she runs a VERY basic setup. I think 300W would be PLENTY! I believe the Thermaltake is my old supply. It was quite the survivor for what I was running!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182006
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

@)-man7...

Thermaltake yes..... Rosewill NO!!!!

What are your needs for this psu?? What type of case, cpu, gfx card, and so on is gonna power? Just making sure so as to find something that'll work for your needs.

....gm

Here's more to choose from. I think most of these will do what you need. LINKY

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

She just needs a little something...well...her tower is simply a web browser, a few other programs, no GPU, one hard drive, one ODD, a floppy she doesnt use. Simply put, its a 2001 gateway 2.0ghz pentium single core. I think its original supply wasnt even pushing 200W! As I said, she doesnt need much. So the cheapest reliable PSU will do. Thats why I was looking at the 25$ Rosewill. Yes, I have read quite a few bad reviews given to rosewill. But this one seems to be doing ok. And since her tower wont ask much of it, surely it'd last 6months to a year. should be enough time to convince her to let me build her a new system LOL!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

NICE find Krj, I've been looking for a PSU exactly like this one for a long time.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes nice find krj. :) ONE thing about that psu is you can move it to something else if you decide to build another computer any time soon. It'll handle your mom's needs and more I'm sure. ;)

....gm

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

sam is right the rosewill are bad the cheap 1's me myself...I perfer a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus RS-500 for a low end cheap psu to use until affording a higher costing one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031
    for less than $45 dollars good strong psu and holds it's own when comes to powering a unit gotta few myself for backup units...

and by the way...I got my eyes on this boy here mushkin 550W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812002
    any input would be fine to hear from...

All and Never,Never get Coolmax like Russ saids...lol...I guess he would use it as a paper weight...he hates them psu with a passion...i just remember how feels about the units...lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nicely priced I'd agree, but an alarming number of comments about fan failure make me question the long term of these units. At this end, peak power ability is of no concern, but long term reliability is. I still stand by the Seasonic, it's ample to run that system.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

As I said, I owned the thermaltake. Its now in my brothers system. I suppose saving about 8 dollars to buy a rosewill, isn't a good idea LOL!
    Yah, the thermaltake is better than some of you may even know. I ran A LOT of equpipment to it! And it never flinched or got hot. Although there may have been one point where it didnt want another HDD on its rail. I never did determine that. It was either the board, and a 2tb threshold limit, or the PSU didnt want another device.

Yup, I think im going with the Thermaltake! I might just get a Vid card while im at it. MAYBE!

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Fans can be replaced with better and longer lasting one's as I did myself in my unit with a Led 120mm at less noise then the stock one that was in it 3 pin plug in on the psu board no problems:)

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you guys think we should have a stickie on psu's with pros & con's with maybe approx prices?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd love one. I've been going for this idea for a while.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Might be a good idea as we go off on tangents enough to warrant such a thread. :)

...gm

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a plan, even i'd subscribe to it, the only things i can't stomach are graphic card discussions :)

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

HERE HERE!!! I'm with creaky as usual. :)

....gm

ddp... PSU's only... got it buddy... I think I can adhere to that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.