1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Russ, that's very strange it didn't ask....personally I hit the remind me later button for weeks before finally getting around to upgrading to FF3.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have to say, I thought FF3 was a bit of a step back from FF2 as well, but I didn't think too much of it. It has less big issues than before, but I've become so ingrained to Google Chrome from when Firefox didn't work at all on my PC (and let's face it, ie ain't great) that I just use that instead. Firefox when a specific add-on, or proxy settings (Firefox is easiest to use with proxies) are needed. Ie if all else fails.
    The upgrade business whe I'm in a hurry does annoy me. When it happened, I opened ie instead. No solution I agree, but it's not something I would have written a letter about. Still, it's an interesting case, be sure to tell us how you get on as who knows, you could end up changing Firefox for the better.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Yup, I boobed! I was looking at the PCI Bus, not the PCI-E. It's still something in the chipset itself though. Thanks for the pic.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It just one of those things that finally annoyed me enough that I did something about it. In my eyes, the whole concept of taking total control away from you is just plain wrong! Your choices should be just that, your choices! What bugs me the most about FF-3 is that I could be answering someone on the thread and be almost done and I get a message that Firefox has encountered an error and has to close. If you try to restore the session, it does the same thing over and over again, so you have to start completely over! That sucks, especially when you are in a hurry. The Lawyer is a friend of mine and a good customer, so it cost me nothing and he even offered to take the case if necessary, because it is a violation of your rights.

Russ

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOL!!
    Maybe it's the 64 bit XP-Pro, but doubt it. Then again I never came across the problem before so I don't know. It's only when you get to FF-3 and have a couple of upgrades that it no longer asks. I should have made that clear. LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have to be brutally honest, I think I've encountered 'encountered an error and needs to close' once with Firefox in 4-5 years of using it on various PCs. That's not what I got with my browser, but it was just as irritating, and had the same effect. Always happened to me with FF3, never with FF2. Newer is not always better.

8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

FF3 has been on my laptop almost since it was released and I can't say I've noticed an auto-updating, but to be honest I probably wouldn't notice if it did. Going to be keeping an eye for the next update though to see what happens....

On the error thing maybe it's just luck but the "encountered an error and needs to be closed" message hasn't appeared since the change to FF3 for me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

10. redice

redice Regular member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well guys ill be offline for a hour or so. got my NEW MOBO back and will be down for the reinstall.

quick question.

i only have to put the mobo disc in and install the drivers for it right? i wont need to do my GPU card as the drivers are allready on my hdd

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i got the board back in. fired it up and kepts getting the bsod..i forgot again to set the mem volts to 2.2v. fixed that but now it wont load windows. the logo shows up loads my backdrop on the desktop but nothing else??????

it will load in safe mode but when i try and install the gigabyte disc i keep getting a error with the program.... im about done with this shit. ive had no luck what so ever with it.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you had dodgy S-ATA port your Windows install might be corrupt. Try reinstalling.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

that makes sense to a extent. heres why i think that. windows was installed on the hdd on the other board(EP35C-DS3R) AND WORKED FINE.
    I'm just wondering with it being a different board if that would have something to do with it? i wasn't able to install the gigabyte drivers for that board, mainly cause i couldn't get windows to load in regular mode.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I don't know Rob, I did the same thing as you did by using the previous XP install. Hey, I figured same MB, so I already had the drivers and everything loaded, so I figured it was a sure thing. Damn thing drove me crazy. I finally just wiped the Boot Drive, did a fresh install of XP and it worked fine after that! I guess the bottom line is, something faulty on a MB, may mess up some of the files in the Registry and config files, or any files for that matter. It corrupted files on about a third of my software. I would go to open a folder and it wouldn't open at all. I would just get a corrupt file error message.

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Again, I think it must be to do with faults. Going from successful board to successful board has worked fine in the past. (X38-DS4->X48-DS5 worked fine, X48-DS5->Maximus II Formula worked fine)

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I just about ripped all my hair out! Got home last night, go to check my emails, and my connection is extremely limited. I boot up windows 7...SAME THING. Im like oh god! I thought for sure I had a virus or hardware problem. Because another area in the house, has its own dedicated connection(ALSO Qwest Dsl), and it was perfectly fine. So I thought it was something else for sure. Just contacted Qwest, and they told me they had an equipment failure, that just got resolved a few hours ago. Whew! I thought I was gonna be a new statistic with the Gigabyte boards! LOL! Ha ha...it remains strong! :D I wanted to test another computer on the DSL, unfortunately, my 700W PSU is the only PSU I have. NOT GOOD! Gonna have to remedy that LOL!

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...now that the DSL is back up and running...Im curious if anyone can give me an explanation for this. Its something thats always had me curious. It seemed to disappear from one of my computers, with a simple RAM upgrade. However, I doubt thats the case with this one. Is it simply graphics drivers, or XP drivers, video memory, etc that cause this? Extremely Technical explanations welcome LOL! Sometimes it does it, other times it doesnt. Seems to depend on the program. Im curious, if this sorta thing exists EVEN in sli/CF systems...SAM! LOL!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.