The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All programs have a visual output that is continuously being displayed when they're running. If a program stops responding, the image will no longer update from it. You may not notice this initially until you try and click on part of it (in which case you'll get 'Not responding') but if you drag a window over it, it will leave behind traces of where it passed across, as the program behind is not updating to clear the traces of the program passing over.
    In your image this looks like the faulted program is Firefox, not Nero Showtime.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well after wipeing the drive clean tried to install windows on it again and the same thing as before right in the middle of loading windows it shuts down. same issue as before. i just wonder if they sent me the same board back. i have no way of knowing what they did... i cant get any info from them as to what they did. just the board back and a little slip telling me to check everything before sending it back to them....

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I just subscribed to this thread. I figured I should start posting more XD

Just purchased a 7750 BE and a 22" Acer monitor for my parents' PC. My dad bought a laptop so they gave it back. Figured I'd make a low key LAN box :p

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks sam. I have been having problems with firefox, as of late. Even reinstalling didnt have an effect on the OTHER problem im having. I keep having to use IE when I get irritated LOL! I'll track it down though.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    I have a brand new D-940 you can borrow to check it out with. I know the chip is 100% OK as I used it for about a week when I sent the E6750 back to Intel.

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Why cant people just leave other peoples stuff ALONE!!! I swear, if I EVER meet someone, who's designed a virus, i'll explode on um! I have about 2000$ worth of equipment locking up, due to either Scumware(adware), or a worm from hell, or virus... PICK one! Ive been in the System32 folder more times in the past day, than I have in my entire life LOL! I keep encountering a 315216---.exe, Prunnet.exe! I think im finally rid of Prunnet.exe. *knocks on desk* And im not getting anymore corrupted Dll's. But now I get a popup every 5 to ten minutes. And my HDD's doing something REALLY weird. I guess im gonna have to find a Scum remover! I wouldnt call it a clicking sound, but lets just use it for example. Its like, click(1sec pause)...click...click...click. A very steady...like its on standby I guess. MOST unusual! Anybody know of a good SCUMWARE remover?

I suppose this is my own fault. I turned off my firewall, when I wasn't getting my DSL subscription, to see if it was somehow interfering. And well...WHOOPS. I left it off LOL! I WON'T do that again!

Well...its now given me the reason I need to move on. Linux(debian) is now gonna replace the Xp OS Drive. Its basically a lost cause. Somehow Rundll32 was corrupted more than once. I tried Stopzilla, only to discover its the PAY for version! Why would I wanna do that, when I can reinstall XP and be back up and running inside a couple hours!

Ok...I'll shut up now LOL!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Tell you what, I saw my first "Corflicker" Virus the other day. It shuts you out of everything. There's more things you can't do then there are things you can. The latest I've heard is it's still evolving. Now they want you to pay $29 to get their AV that will remove it! The Idiot that brought it to me had let his AV lapse. He finally got Trend, and it won't let him install it. He finally gave up and was going to install XP and format the drive. It never boots, even if you use the boot menu. You can't un-mount the drive, format it, Nothing! So far some of the best computer minds in the country are trying to figure it out with little or no luck. Hawkings ( that real smart dude) is working on it with a team from MIT! I think they identified it, but can't get in the files. Oh and I'm not hooked up to the internet with it either! LOL!!

I can't imagine how they could think about getting away with it, but hey, they were smart enough to get this far! Numbered account somewhere that the US and it's partners can't get access to, and there's nothing you could do to find them. Now they are going after the Banks in the Caymen Islands and Switzerland and threatening to ban travel from their countries, which is most of Europe the Far East, Asia and the US. I think the Governments have some pretty good clout there! Still that's yet to happen so anyone with the virus, is stuck. They own your Hard Drive, maybe even all of them! I don't think you can Degauss a hard drive! I would almost have to believe it would destroy it. It was reported that some people were buying the "Anti-Virus" for the $29 and it does work. I was unclear whether you got a CD or a Floppy, but you can't copy it or access the files! Did I mention that these guys were smart?

I'm going to pull the boot drive tomorrow, clear the CMOS and see if I can boot from the CD with just the one drive connected, I would try and make one of the Sata ports work as Hot Plug, but it's too old. I'm actually not sure you could do that without affecting everything else. I could have, on my DS3R, as it had two GigaByte Sata Ports that you could make Hot Plug for e-sata. If the CD was to boot on it, I would plug in the messed up drive and select it as your Drive choice. Since you don't have to do anything but plug it in, and the bios default enables hot plug, who knows? It would be worth a shot! If it worked, format it and then get out of the install and boot it up with Killdisk and wipe that baby clean! If that didn't work, I'm fresh out of ideas!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah there must be a way to save the hard drive. I can't believe a virus can kill your hardware. But, eh, I've seen much stranger things. Haha one of my friends at school was using the teacher's PC as a Counter Strike 1.6 server through the network every day for a week and he didn't even notice XD

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Russ
    thanks for the offer, but right now i am almost 100% sure its not a hardware issue. all my stuf works fine on another board. gigabyte is given me the runaround about what they have done to the board. they cant tell(wont)tell me what they have done.i just sent a email back to services@gigbyte-usa.com basiclly telling them i want a new board in the box still i know it wont happen bu what else can i do?????

ASUS/BIOSTAR is on deck waiting there shot....im all but done with the building stuff other than changing out HDD's ODD's im done

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Before you jump the gun on Asus, I appear to be having an interface issue with my Maximus II Formula, the front USB ports, all 4 of them, act erratically when certain devices are plugged in, rendering an iphone and my GameOptics display useless, as 'hardware found' and 'hardware removed' and it's associated effects and noises occur several times every second. Other devices remain unaffected, which leads me to believe it's a fault with the controller, not the ports themselves.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have seen good reviews and know someone that's happy with their TPower, I'd recommend that.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea bigwill has one and he thinks its the best thing since sliced bread...lol

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I noticed. I'd love a second opinion from you on one too... :)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    It doesn't kill your HDD, it just holds it for ransom! ROFL!! maybe the HDD manufacturer can do something with it, that we don't have access to. BTW! What's the "XD" for?

Russ

16. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

XD = LOL, I believe

17. dru3692

dru3692 Member

FYI this is my first build. 2nd motherboard that won't push VGA to the monitor. 1st one I sent back because of same reason. I thought I might have shorted out the first board because of missing risers but now the replacement board is having the same problem so I'm starting to think that I am doing something wrong. Hoping someone can provide specific instructions for the first boot up like leaving the RAM out or clearing the CMOS, etc.

Let me know what you need (pictures or whatever)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M3A78-EM http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=639&l4=0&model=2252&modelmenu=1

CPU: AMD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103300

CPU COOLER: ARCTIC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

PSU: OCZ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

RAM: CORSAIR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

HDD: SEAGATE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

CASE: ROSEWILL http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147068

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Turn your head on its side, as you would read any smiley. It's a guy with closed eyes and a big grin :)
    dru: Have you got the power connections right?

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

yea brother Sliced Bread & butter toated with jelly on it...lol...I hope you round that T-Power and jump off the gigabyte wagon...I told you long time ago back in the day...I use to have problems with the old,old boards 370 sockets working right things has'nt changed only the face not the inside...lol...Get that T-power and bet you can get that E8400 CO alittle higher on the that board than you did with the gigabyte board if not will trade it in for EO for ...I got people in higher places to make the deal...Best of luck in two weeks you never need another board on the 775 socket then the biostar I45 believe me...I should have got this board from the jump I won't have saved some money in board buying...lol remember any help you need on your new biostar I45 I'm a phone call away:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks sytyguy. Now let me get this right! You use two letters and type "XD", instead of three letters to mean "LOL", right? ROFLMAO!! I'd hate to see what they would do with Freekin Unreal!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.