1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rick,

I don't follow you about the part of the fancy red diode lights. do they get their power from the power supply?

if it happens again, no fans, no lights, I would try a new PSU 1st or buy a PSU checker and test it. I keep going to buy one but a buddy of mine has one and I use it.

speaking of my buddy, his hiper PSU finally bit the dirt monday. it lasted a year longer than my hiper did (same model).

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hears a site I like just to check out things like Win XP SP3
    I find a pretty trust worthy site.. They had an extremely long revue on Vista mini or maybe it was lite. Just over 700mb, I'd like to give this a try..
    h**p://www.demonoid.com/files/?category=5&subcategory=All&language=0&seeded=0&external=2&query=windows+xp+pro+sp3&uid=0&sort=

Hears the Vista..Some pretty impressive reading
    h**p://www.demonoid.com/files/?category=5&subcategory=All&language=0&seeded=0&external=2&query=vista+lite&uid=0&sort=

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..Did all of that. on the Diodes, I don't know how they are powered, the only time they are on is when the unit won't power up. You'd have to see the specs on this board, 2 understand, they are for maintenance only

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

aight fellows..I got my mind on another build but this time..i'm goin Asus style..lol now my pockets ain't as deep as many of you all but it should'en matter as long as everything works out right,

both are P45 chips the two canidates are so far is..

ASUS P5Q Pro
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299
    one reviewer said about this board:Overclocks like crazy. You can overclock via BIOS or through the EPU-6 utility in Windows. The utility uses sliders to overclock the system. Brain dead simple overclocking – brilliant! Excellent layout. Black PCB & heat pipe – looks extreme!

the other is:
    ASUS P5QC
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131327
    there's been no reviews on it from newegg yet..the only thing that throws me away from the board is where the power plug goe's in at..the board reminds me of Ga-ep35c-ds3r which..i have now if anybody can find out about this board please contact me..I know Mort would love to see me jump on the Asus band wagon..lol...:) i'm gonna run water cooling and consair memory 1066..my mind is made up about that..just alittle would help on the two choice's thanks..

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

ddp I'm on your planet when it comes to sp3 for Windows XP!! I've read a few things about it and none of them seem very positive.

vulnerable flash

registry corruption

just a couple that I've read.. I'm sure they're fixed now... but it seems there is some problem as usual.... ;)

.....gm

edit: to fix links

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  6. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bigwill68

If you want support for DDR3 (also accepts DDR2) then the P5QC is your board, but if you intend to stick with DDR2 only then the P5QPro is the better choice.

So weigh the benefits: The P5Qc has support for both DDR3 and DDR2 but the pro version has support for crossfire or an extra PCIe 16 slot.

Whichever you choose will be good either way.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

I know that you've really looked at ASUS so far but there are some other good candidates out there. ;) If you were buying today I wouldn't mention the options but building in a few months you have the ability to give it some more thought. ;)

Have you considered these??? ;) linky to DFI X48 mobos I included some Open Box deals too... saves a little money... but I understand if a person may NOT wanna deal with those. ;)

.....gm

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Sophocles

thanks for the insight on the too...which you think would best on the overclocking..I'm going to run Q9450 along side with the Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB)..I think...i'm asking a stupid question here..lol..it depends on the memory the higher you overclock the looser the memory will be..reason bein my E6750 was overclocked at 3.6Ghz and the memory was loose..i lowed it down to 3.0Ghz now the corsair xms2 800..i tighten to 4-4-4-12..it don't matter to me..but I believe this e6750 can pass 4.0Ghz..i've seen it done b4..

11. haskins69

haskins69 Member

I have a question?????????????????? my rig is at cyberpower now with in it:

E6850
    ASUS striker II formula
    2 gb corsair value select ddr2 800mhz
    320 MB EVGA 8800GTS superclocked
    Tagen 1100 watt power supply
    150 gb raptor western digital 10,000 rpm
    500gb western digital 7200 rpm
    vista ultimate 32 bit
    sony 16x dvd burner
    16x dvd rom
    coolermaster liquid cpu cooler

question is cyberpower what's to know if I'll be willing to swap my Strker II formula for a EVGA 780i motherboard at this point I don't know If it's the win version [PART # 132-YW-E178-A1 ] or the older one [part#132-CK-NF78-A1 ]but I've had nothing but issues with ASUS motherboards , I started with a ASUS striker Extreme, and went through 5 of them in 10 month's, and then they up graded me to ASUS striker II formula . It ran 2 day's !!! then I shipped it to cyberpower , they changed motherboard and put another Striker II Formula in it . and claim It's ran for them since last Friday , but they want me to change , and take the EVGA board. what do you fine folk's think I should do????????????I need a answer by morning!!! And I'll Most likely go with your advice!!!!!! a big difference is warranty ASUS 3 years , EVGA has a limmited life time warranty, ASUS has suprime fx sound card , EVGA has on board sound

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

[/quote]

I know that you've really looked at ASUS so far but there are some other good candidates out there. ;) If you were buying today I wouldn't mention the options but building in a few months you have the ability to give it some more thought. ;)

Have you considered these??? ;) linky to DFI X48 mobos I included some Open Box deals too... saves a little money... but I understand if a person may NOT wanna deal with those. ;)

.....gm[/quote]

someting is fish'ee about that 3 outta the 4 boards are Green are you trying to tell me someting greensman Go Green..lol they look good brother but that Memory Standard DDR2 800 think pushed me away can them boards not handle 1066 ? i'm sorry greens that's little bit more that..i can spend on a board..but to make you happy the nexts built is gonna be Green all Led's even the cooling flow..i think RedRob is headed that way towards dfi knowing that we work for a company called dsi..:)

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

haskins...

I don't have any experience with the EVGA mobo but I can find out... I have a buddy at another forum that has used the 680i version and the last time that I talked to him he was looking at the newer mobos by EVGA... ;) I also have the Striker Extreme and it seems that I'm having issues as well... I haven't narrowed it down yet since I work, have 3 kiddies and I'm addicted to reading at Ad. :) If it were me, like my opinion means a thing, I would really consider that eVGA mobo.. :) Even tho it's a limited Lifetime warranty.... it's gotta be better than going thru 6-7 mobos in ONE year.... Of course I'm assuming you're NOT doing anything to sabotage the Strikers.. lol. j/k.. ;)

btw you can pick up a good little sound card for under a $100. ;)

good luck with your decision. :)

.....gm

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

haskins69, have you considered the Asus RAMPAGE FORMULA , thats what i would go with

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

my friend i have read alittle on that board not to step on any bodies feet just alittle advice..in resent magazine that some people was'nt impressed with Nvidia's follow up to the popular 680i chipset they say the 780i felt like a retread of the original and lacked the support for the intel's top processor's...Plus the PCI express 2.0 was simply tacked on on as an extra chip and ddr3 support was glaringly absent..So Nvidia heard people's complaints and created the 790i Ultra it has PCI-e 2.0 +1,600mhz fsb support and ddr3 this board has the e-sata the others don't..i tell you this the 790i ran neck and neck with the Asus striker extreme 2 in some benchmarks it came a close second in memory testing but superior in the real world of gaming test....run with 790i Ultra might set you back abit $350.00

here's the link to it if you wanna see..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188025
    it's your choice but if..i was a gamer..i would get this..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  16. haskins69

haskins69 Member

Ok this is a warranty job from cyberpower they up me from "Striker extreme", to " Strker II formula " only after I went on theIr forum telling every one there about my issues with striker extreme {5x in 10 months } And after I posted E-mail address of President of cyberpower , head of tech support , and manger of tech support for all to see !!!! The President called following monday offering me Striker II formula , if I removed E-Mail adress form the forum. I looked it seemed to have less Issues than the striker extreme , and was a little more current by having 3 x pci x 16 plus a few other option's , so I took it they sent a retail box with all the parts so I changed it . It run 2 day's so I sent whole system back to them [the first time all other board changes I did ] they said they changed board again and it's ran for 3 day's , but they want me to take the EVGA board claiming that ASUS boaed has issues . so you see I only have 2 choices , 1 Keep the ASUS STRIKER II FORMULA or 2 take the EVGA 780i board the only info I'm lacking Is if it's the EVGA board with part # 132-YW-E178-A1 or With part # 132-CK-NF78-A1

So you see I my dilemma , stay with striker II formula { which is a 780i board ] Or go to EVGA 780i , which has two different models . I'll find out tomrrow which model it is their offering me .

SO I"ll ask again Do I Pick EVGA 780i [would be one of 2 models }
    OR DO I STAY WITH ASUS STRIKER II FOMULA ??????
    These are my only 2 option's!!!!!!!!!!!

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

the problem is you only got 2 gb corsair value select ddr2 800mhz..and the EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 takes Memory Standard DDR2 800 (only) and the 132-YW-E178-A1 takes Standard DDR2 1066 Up to 1200MHz SLI-Ready Memory with EPP ...so i would go with the first one if you don't wanna move up to DDR2 1066 memory. comparsion link is below to see for yourself..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16813188027,N82E16813188024

to bad you can't talk them out of the 790i Ultra..lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like the many fault code LED's my motherboard has ie the lights all mean something ie here's all mine (MSI Platinum P35 board) -
    [​IMG]

In the bottom right hand corner there's a bank of different coloured LED's that light up in different ways depending on if there's a problem or if all's clear.
    Not sure if that helps but it sounds similar

19. icemen

icemen Regular member

hey peeps

on my old PC I had a built in bluetooth, can i move this to my new pc?
    Is this something I can buy & install myself on the new pc?

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

haskins69,
    I would take the EVGA. The reviews show it as being a better than decent MB! I read through about 500 of them! The catch is which one! The # 132-CK-NF78-A1 would be the best choice in my eyes as it has a good track record. The # 132-YW-E178-A1 is a new motherboard and a big unknown at the moment as there was only 1 review. The other one listed is the # 123-YW-E175-A1, and it's track record isn't near as good as the #123-CK-NF78-A1. If you're going to take an EVGA, it might as well be a highly regarded one! They have had some chipset issues, video corruption, artifacting and recovering from standby (sleep) issues. You might want to check the EVGA website for more information about known issues, and make your decision from there!
    I almost forgot, here's the Newegg reviews on it:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024

BTW, just a thought! They are going to have to make good on this one way or the other so it's going to have to work before they can give it back to you. If they can't make it all work properly, they will have to give you your money back anyway!

Best Regards and good luck,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.