1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i aint haven any luck here. after install a few programs i rebooted as requested once after verifying vm spool i got the
    NTLDR missing and windows wouldnt load? what now????

well im installing windows on another hdd sseing if this works???

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

R U sure U R using the right HDD . I had 2 unhook all my other HDDs & reboot 2 resolve this problem
    My BIOS was looking at the wrong HDD as master

3. redice

redice Regular member

cincyrob

your bios has your hard drive opition set to something other( like usb stick so because it can't find it. it gives you the error NTLDR missing) than your drive with the os on it. so you need to set it back to your hard drive that has the os on it

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha, incidentally my 780G board hangs at POST with a USB flash drive or an MP3 player plugged in. WTF. No other issues at all. Wonderful, high quality, fully featured board with a full range of settings and great OCing. Just picky with USB devices. Doesn't mind any of my mice or keyboards when booting but it hates USB drives.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I had that with one of my old boards as well. I think it was the P35C-DS3R, and IIRC I fixed it by using a back USB port rather than front, or using a USB hub.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Rick, this is now three times i've asked you to use real, wholesome words. It's not even as if your posts are ever half a page long. Please sort your keyboard out so that our readers don't think i'm just moaning..

My previous motherboard used to hang if i left blank dvd's in either of the internal SATA burners. My guess is this is due to the system trying to boot and not finding a boot sector. At least in olden times we'd get 'NOT SYSTEM DISK' or whatever the error was.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah it doesn't happen when I use the back ports. But it's kind of awkward reaching behind your PC to plug in a 2 inch long flash drive. I do have an extra long USB cable though for my MP3 player so that's not much of an issue.

I wonder if it's a problem with the chipsets or Gigabyte in general or what. If that's Gigabytes only major issue I'm sure I can forgive them. Top quality stuff.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Not booting with a flash drive plugged in seems to be common with AMDs. Sometimes when you wipe a drive, it doesn't mount the drive, which gives you the NTLDR is missing too. A couple of times I had to use the Disk Wizard to remount the partition, then it booted fine! Oxi won't boot at all if there's a Flash drive in it.

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

creaky: What in the hell R U talkin bout

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are you asking for a ban or what? The word are is spelt are, not R.
    Is it really that much to ask to spell properly? Not everybody likes reading text speak. It doesn't bother me much, but it's the rules.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

FRIG YA'ALL I JUST UNSUBSCRIBED FROM THIS POST
    MOST OF WHAT U DO IS CRITICIZE AND ARGUE ANYWAY
    But thanks 4 all your help

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you refuse to talk like the rest of us, so be it.

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rick, creaky is talking about this "R U sure U R using the right HDD", "What in the hell R U talkin bout" & "But thanks 4 all your help".

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I give up with Rick, especially after the temper tantrum. I was simply trying to keep the thread coherent. Otherwise we'd end up scratching our heads trying to decipher stuff like this in the build threads ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/766445

edit- aww, he's been canned, i hadn't finished torturing that poster yet :)

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL the only one arguing is you dude. I agree too. Cut it with the noob speak. It's annoying and makes you look like a moron. Is it really that hard to use proper spelling and grammar?

I dunno as Sam says he had it too with an Intel board. I think it might be to do with the chipsets or the USB ports on the case. Though I could be entirely wrong :S

I've never had a problem with NTLDR missing though. At least not in recent memory. It just hangs on POST until I boot it with the drive out.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i never did try fixing that drive i was geting the NTLDR missing on. i just installed windoes on another drive. but i still cant get the hd audio to install of the disc.????

ok heres a question for those with more brains than me...

talking with the gigabyte tech today. he is telling me my problem with my board not installing windows is because my OEM version doesnt have sp1 or 2 on it. the new P45 boards require SP1/2 preinstall. now that dont make no sense to me seeing i have been running the same oem disc on the same mobo for 6 months before it shut down on me. why just out of the blue it stop working?

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Rob,
    That sounds like grasping straws to me! That really doesn't make sense to me. But if this new P45 has some kinda chip on it...I dont know man. Im not the one to ask. But that sounds like a bunch of Hooey to me! LOL!

Ha ha! Running Debian 5.0(Lenny), and Windows XP Via VirtualBox. Very awesome little utility. XP is smooth as a babies bottom, while im having some trouble with Linux. A kernel bug, as well as display issues, and slow load time. When it was ran in the traditional sense, there were no problems though. Im not sure whats gone wrong yet(Probably my lack of knowlege LOL!). More than anything, I would like to learn some things about linux, as well as programming. This is certainly QUITE the screeny though! LOL!
    [​IMG]
    Kevin

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

NTLDR is what you get if you boot off a HDD that doesn't have windows on it, or try to. It means you've set the wrong drive in the BIOS.
    I haven't tried using XP pre-service packs on any board, I just know of the problems it can create.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Try installing XP w/ SP2 on it. Maybe not the best advice, but you could download it off of some certain sites. Just to test of course ;P

Remember you're trying to use a 7 year old OS completely unpatched on new hardware. I dunno if that's your problem, but it would be worth a try to use a disk with SP2.

I know pre-SP1 XP will only detect up to 127GB of any large HDD. Plus a whole slew of other little issues. Remember XP was terrible for a while until they got it patched up.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i havent done anything with the 500gb hdd that i first put windows on and got the NTLDR error. so i will go into bios and change the boot order to go to that drive partion first and see if that fixes it. if so i have a OS on 2 drives now...lol.

AND yes i dont beleive the stuff about haven SP1/2 on the disc before hand. like i said i used the same disc when i first got this ep45-ds3r board and it ran fine for 6 months. but i will give it a try once i find a disc with SP2 on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.