1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

I get The same kernel error when I load up lenny. But after I just click send there are no problems with it at all.

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

does any know how to roll back to explorer 7 from explorer 8 it seems that 8 has a few issues

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, it allows me to run it anyway :) Perhaps its just not FULLY supported by Vbox? Gonna look into that.

Yah, IE 8 in my opinion was designed for Windows 7. I had quite a few problems running the beta on XP!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  4. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Uninstall IE8, and it will revert to IE7. I have done this three times for some friends.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rob, what difference is there on that system hardware wise from before & now? is it just the hd? remember xp without at least sp1 can't partition a drive past 128gig so maybe that is causing the problem.

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

good looking out...I'll try that 2 night

7. dru3692

dru3692 Member

ram configuration in a asus m3a78-em motherboard is causing boot issues. I am using 2 x 2gb corsair ddr2 800. Only way I can get the system to boot properly is to use only 1 stick in the A2 slot (which goes against the instructions in the motherboard user guide which say to put both sticks in the yellow slots).

4 slots on the board:
    A1 (YELLOW)
    B1 (YELLOW)
    A2 (BLACK)
    B2 (BLACK)

If I add the second stick in either other open slot the system will either continuously reboot or boot with scrambled, illegible blue text in random places on the screen. Thanks for any help.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like a faulty board or memory controller, which for AMD systems is in the CPU.

9. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

To insure it is not the memory chips, but rather the MOBO. Download http://www.memtest86.com/download.html And it will check your memory chips.

And Sam is probably correct, your MOBO is in defect mode.

Best of luck.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats just it there is nothing different. nothing at all. my mobo went out on me i sent it to gigabyte and they sent me one back that i cant install windows???? but from what they tell me with the bios update they did on the new board that a OEM disc wont work on the board unles it has a SP1/2 on it.... i will find out in the morning when i try my new disc....

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Man guys! How do I break this vicious cycle LOL! I just cant leave my poor computers alone! Please dont comment on the Beige burner. Im feeling pretty silly about that one LOL! :)

Yes, after viewing this pic, I blew off the dust :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What's the big blue S-ATA connector?
    Also, 6 ODDs... tut tut. How many does my HAF currently have installed? 0!

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Its not S-ata. Its an IDE-->Usb connector. The most faithful one I have LOL! Infact, its not had ANY trouble thus far. I transferred 300+Gb with it recently.

Each Optical drive has its own qwirk. Though... 2 LH-20A1H drives, would make me a VERY content guy :D The lite-on drive is the best one ive owned yet!!!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never had any issues with LG drives myself, I've had a standard 16x DVD-ROM, a GH20NS15 (current) and an old GSA-4163BA, no incidents with any. The NEC ND-4570 I had was good, but got StarForced, so that was that.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I myself am a fan of Lite-On drives. The 3 LGs I had died within a year. The 2 Lite-Ons I bought 3 years ago are still working fine. I also had a really fast and quiet Plextor but that got Starforced too :(

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not tried them myself, a few years back the school I went to had a load of PCs with Samsung drives and a fair few with Lite-Ons. The Lite-Ons were crazy loud, and seemed like they'd fall apart when you opened the tray. I'm guessing their quality has improved since those days.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The last LG I bought, left a bad taste in my mouth. Though, I think that MIGHT be due to riplock! Plus Its burn quality was less than average. But then, Ive heard some LG's are good rippers soo...I might just give it another shot.

Every samsung ive had has been pretty good :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My Lite-Ons ARE crazy loud due to vibration on the case. I put in the little rubber bushings and they quieted right down :)

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, so far 10/10 success rate with burning Verbatim DL 8x discs at 10x. It also managed to burn Vista on an 8x DVD-R at 20x (That sounded awesome). I don't think the burn quality was that great as it was a bit finicky to get working, but it installed nonetheless.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sounded awesome!!! LOL! My poor LG sounded like it was doing Transwarp when it hit 20X. Needless to say, I wont be burning beyond 16X for a while. Heck, im quite content with 12X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.