1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yes this is true. but i just noticed taht with OCCT it got as high as IBT even a degree or 2 higher.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the first one is of the core that is stuck at idle. wont go any lower than 45c.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OCCT and IBT are very stressful on temps. Not tried Orthos, but OCCT and IBT run temps far higher than anything in the real world.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Right, exactly why I use Orthos. It has similar thermal characteristics to a heavy game or other CPU intensive task. It's a good indicator of your real world operating temps. Torture tests are a super extreme case scenario. Good for ensuring absolute stability and not much else.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As exhibited by the fact that in Left 4 Dead my PC draws around 650-700W, yet when running both OCCT stress tests pulls 900W.

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

it's a earlier model dell case it came with burned out MSI mb amd socket 462 pin also a 80gb seagate hd with some pc2700 memory and junkie psu off name brand...lol... i'll post some pics of the stuff that came out of on later on in here...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shame, I had an MSI Socket 462 board in my old system (Eagle II). Not only did it work fine during its 29 month life, it also survived the flaming Qtec. It still works to this day, though is inexplicably rather laggy.

7. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

IBT is also a better stability test imo. I've run orthos all day only to have IBT fail in under 2 minutes.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well IBT is somewhat memory sensitive as well. Usually when IBT fails the memory is the first thing to check. Even on an otherwise 100% stable OC. You can lower the RAM speed, loosen timings, etc. I'm sure it's not the same in every case but it worked for me.

LOL @ the flaming Qtec. Such a sad situation when a PSU goes. I'm surprised the board works at all. Man, old school hardware is cool though. An XP 3000+ with an X800Pro was pretty fast back in the day.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  9. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Agreed, IBT can fail due to other things. For me a little vcore bump was all it took pass IBT and clear up stability issues.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL. I still hold my HP 7905 in high regard. 1.4Ghz athlon thunderbird, 80Gb WD HDD, 1GB ram(though it holds 2gb). I believe its board was highly regarded back in its day(2001). An Asus A7M266 I believe. I believe it will make a VERY nice Media center PC. Minus the Bluray of course. When I ran it 2 yrs ago, it was keeping up with the times fairly nicely. But then, I wanted to build :D So I built my MSI.
    And Now I have my Gorgeous Gigabyte Phenom II build :DI wish I hadn't skimped on the PSU! Cause now, I have to run my Phenom II at near stock, to lessen the PSU load. Think what you will guys. I dont like seeing the 12V Rail (Value)under 12V. That tells me its struggling despite not even blowing warm air. I would replace it in a few weeks, when I have adequate funds, but...UH OH!!! Something else requires my attention! Friggin car is given me the blues now. That is my luck by the way. If I pay too close attention to my car, im sure my computer will need something. If I pay too close attention to my computer...
    Ahhh... the irony that is my life LOL!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It brings back fond memories of walking in a home office just as the fire-breathing PSU, set the drapes ablaze! It does wonders for your heart rate! LOL!!

On another note, my motherboard will be here in a few days. The problem was the Southbridge! I'm just glad that I didn't try a 5th device on my Sata or IDE ports, because GigaByte duplicated my tests, but added a third optical drive and fragged one of the hard drives. It seems the only drive in the chain that works is the last optical drive installed, which left the HDD next in line to fail. Just glad I didn't have another Sata ODD handy, or that could have been my HDD that went blooey and corrupted all my storage! LOL!!

Russ

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey guys i just got me a nice shiney P4 3.0ghz cpu my work was tossing a bunch of old towers well not a bunch but 3 of them. 2 p3's and this P4 i didnt want to mess with the P3's. they took all the cool stuff out of the tower only the mobo and cpu's were left.
    they said if i wanted anything out of there i could have it. i didnt have any tools t oget the mobo. but i will tonight...lol it is a gigabyte mobo in it. it still looks pretty good shape wise. how can i find out any info on this CPU other than trying to run it?

here is the info off of the heat spreader.
    Pentium 4
    3.00ghz/1m/800/04a
    sl7pu china
    5505b173

and at the bottom i guess would be the serial#
    n3452048
    a1060

any ideas?
    how much better is a P4 3.0ghz compare to a celeron D 2.93ghz?

if that board is still any good how hard is it to find drivers for a board

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed on memory, it's very sensitive, primarily because IBT is the only test to fill a huge chunk of memory.
    However, I've still had systems that pass IBT yet BSOD on occasions in windows.
    Estuansis: Back in the day it was. Now, I can't play CS:S on low at more than 25fps. Fortunately, I can play it on high at 25fps as well...
    Omegaman: I agree you should replace your PSU as a matter of urgency, but I don't agree you should buy a crazy one. Seriously, buy A 650W Corsair TX, not the 850. There's no need. Remember, I use an 850W PSU as well and I run four GPUs, you only have the one. At your modest OC, your CPU probably doesn't draw any more than mine either.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: That's a P4 530J, one of the earlier Prescott revisions. It's a fire-breather, but is one of the more reasonable single core chips Intel made, certainly better than a celeron. Probably compares to something like an A64/ Athlon XP 2800+.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so it will run a little warm then???? then if i can get the mobo it was on then it might be worth playing with a while huh?
    i know its a little bit OLD for a CPU but the mobo does it take the ddr2 mem?

heck the tower this cpu was in even had a dvd-rom drive in and a 3.5 floppy... gonna see if i can get it all

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah it should, it's not one of the older 775 chips in any respect.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

is there a program you use to see how much power things are useing?
    ive noticed in everest my 12v rarely runs at 12v. more along the lines of 11.55-11.80v most the time
    [​IMG]

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh so i can put the AC7 freezer pro on top of this chip? heck if i can use ddr2 mem i have them new crucial ddr2 800 sticks. the only thing i would need is a cheapy GPU and PSU

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1900rpm should be plenty fast enough. As for 11.67 it's definitely on the low side, but if it stays there, it's fine. Load up IBT and then close it and see how the 12V rail changes. Should be less than 0.05-0.06V change.

Rob: Yes that's right, cooler and memory will fit.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I think Sam might have missed it, but it's not the oldest 530J, but one of the newer ones with E0 stepping, and runs cooler than the original with R0 stepping and can be overclocked higher. I remember when it came out, Abit put one in an AA8 DuraMax (I think) motherboard, and two legends were born! They were an awesome combination in their day! It will eat that Celeron like it was it's last meal! ROFL! One of the best of the Prescots!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.