1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've seen people squeeze 4 gig out of these chips in good boards.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well here is IBT running with everest side by side.
    [​IMG]

here is it finished and passing
    [​IMG]
    the 12v never changed. well it did go from 11.67v to 11.60 than back

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks like you'll be fine then. Temps are within acceptable values as well.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    You could increase the CPU fan speed, but why? It's not worth it! It's not going to run more than a degree or so cooler, if that! You also need a good PSU! Wolfdale's were noted for not tolerating low voltages, and your's is a bit low! What does it show when loaded down with Orthos or OCCT? I know the voltage you are showing is at idle, and it's low by 2%. That's a lot for a decent PSU!

Oh! On your P4. A freezer 7 will work just fine. I ran mine at 3.83GHz with one and it was a hotter chip than yours!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so my corsair TX750 is lagging? what do i need a 850w?

ill run orthos and see what the 12v gets

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, you just have a low rail on it. That voltage is lower than what the TX650 usually puts out. Just as a check, have you used any other program to test / can you check voltages in the BIOS?

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no i havent used anyhting else. but i do know different version of everst shows my volts different. one of the older versions wouldnt even show my volts for this board.

here is orthos and everst same numbers
    [​IMG]

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sam,
    I realize I could be going overkill on a PSU, but 1)I dont like the thought of Not enough power. 2)I could easily add more HDD's later.

You do know im running 4 HDD's, and 6 ODD's, as well as multiple USB connections? Disconnecting one of the HDD's had a fairly significant effect on the 12V value. Im pretty disappointed with this PSU! I will no longer endorse OCZ!!! They're gonna receive a bad egg!

I have no interest in going green. Im power hungry as they come. :D

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

You are. And i believe Sam is (still) going to pains to explain that to you :)

But it doesn't look like you're in danger of needing more power, now or later :)

And ?. :)
    Graphics wise i am running a pants low powered graphics card, but i am running 6 internal HDD's, 3 internal ODD's, 6 ODD's via USB and 9 HDD's via USB. All from a lowly Corsair HX 620W PSU. I've no idea how to measure PSU draw but Sam's roughly calculated my output before and it's a fraction of the 620Watts.

(obviously USB powered stuff takes some juice to run however external HDD's and ODD's with their own power are mostly using external power so the USB power draw should be minimal)

Fair enough that you want more power, but you keep posting that you need more power

/offtopic - yesterday i found someone else here at AD with your enthusiastic posting style but i'll bet i can't remember the link, i'll have a look

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

btw dont discount OCZ due to one problem :)

why if we did that im sure there wont be any manufacturers to by from again :D

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 580W PSU, when converted to a single-rail with a handy bit of soldering, can run 16 Seagate HDDs, which use more power than any other brand.
    That's not even a good 580W either, it was a Hiper Type-R.
    What you don't seem to realise is that having a stupid power supply does not result in environmental damage at all, it's just throwing money away.
    Not only can you run your system on a 650W TX, you can add another GTX260, add four more HDDs, throw some cold cathode lights in, a few extra DVD burners, maybe a handful more USB devices, overclock your CPU even further, and still have room to spare.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I dont take coincidences lightly guys. When I overclocked, my 12V value dropped, what ever the error prime 95 reported, a core completely cutout. And the 12V stabilized. increasing the CPU power did not help. IT SHOULD HAVE. Increasing the CPU power caused the 12V value to drop even more and error quicker.

I need sufficient power for both my hungry 260GTX and my PhenomII.
    Now how wrong does this sound? Buy the 620HX (3 18Amp rails), to replace a 700W (4 18Amp rails). And I say again, this PSU has REALLY left a bad taste in my mouth. Cause I dont doubt that the Corsair is better! But it still bothers me looking at those facts. Companies shouldn't be allowed to exaggerate their equipment!!!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Because your 700W GameXStream is a 400W PSU. It's perfectly logical to go from a 400W PSU to a 620W PSU.
    Yes, the PSU is at fault, but that's not because the wattage isn't high enough, it's because the PSU isn't as powerful as it says it is. Corsairs ARE.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Could you please explain how its 400W instead of 700.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

enlighten us sam :)

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It would be MOST appreciated. :D

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a rough figure I picked out of the air, but it's the sort of thing most PSUs do. They'll only go as far as x figure and then they'll become unstable, and a bit further they'll shut down. The 1010W GameXStream shut down at 700W, so it's most likely 650W max. I applied the same maths to the 700W GameXStream. Granted, it doesn't really work like that, but suffice to say the maximum wattage output of the 700W OCZ is less than that of a 620 or 650W Corsair, so despite the label, it's still a more powerful unit.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

or its a faulty unit, and other OCZ units are good ie estuansis.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Correction, StealthXStream units are good. Not the GameXStreams.

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I c you (Sanford & Son) Freddy G...One mans junk is another mans treasure 4 sure hey there nothing wrong with a 370 socket P3...I had many in my day...I had 1 oc'd a alittle...

Lite-on 24X Model iHAS324-08 will be here tomorrow can wait to see how it burns:) it's coming from Russ's State in Cali order it last friday from the egg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.