1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys i got this mobo here. i cant seem to find any info on it.other than some forums talking about it. anyone ever have one?

GIGABYTE GA-81915P Duo Pro

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Amazingly, that board is laid out almost identically to my server's EP31-DS3L. All it's missing is the third PCIe 1x slot at the top, and the fact it has two IDEs.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

True. The GameXStreams are decent-ish but lacking in power compared to like rated designs from other manufacturers. They would be much better PSUs IMO if they'd actually rate them accurately. The 700W GameXStream has the exact same internal layout as my 600W StealthXStream. But the StealthXStream 600W actually shuts down at about 660W so I can safely say it's a good unit. It even handles my HD4870s in Crossfire without issue or extra noise. I would put it at a comparable level of quality and power to my 620HX. OCZ has been slipping lately but they can still release a good product.

I also have no faults with the 4GB of OCZ Platinum RAM in my dual core box. The rig OC'd just fine with no complaints from the memory. And no dead sticks after 3-ish months in my machine and 6 months in another OC'd machine before that.

I won't knock OCZ until I see bad hardware. And so far, having worked on several rigs with OCZ stuff in them, I haven't found any bad components. They're alright by me.

Agreed though that high end(700W+) PSUs are better left to companies like Corsair, Zalman, and PC P&C.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The ModXStream PSUs seem to be getting good reviews, but I'll stay away from the RAM until I stop seeing quality issues.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Some of the RAM is a bit dubious, agreed. But most of what I've seen works just fine.

I especially like their 4GB Fatal1ty Edition PC6400 kit. It's priced well with the same timings as my Platinum. Not to mention it looks cool XD I have recommended it to friends and they are quite happy with it.

7. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

This is a Greensman case here that's first name that came to mind when...I saw it this is a Modifyer here for sure for better air flow...:)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144045

I think this is'nt bad looking case with a little modifying done to it make the top a 120 or 140 fan port exhaust and make the side clear panel two 120's cut out and slap a 120 in the front:)

enjoy building...

i like this boy 2
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144181

hey i see it takes 533/400 ram slap some Skill on it for 28.00 bucks
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231018

it has a good review and a pretty high voltage limit and runs tight at 4-4-4-12...just adding my thought for some ram you might like mushkin instead...some dont like the skill that much but it's been great 4 me:)but i think the lowest mushkin goes is 667 Quote me if...I'm wrong somebody...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ugh, all of the controversial looks, none of the cooling or build quality.
    You'll never see me with an Apevia case, the cheap ones are exactly that, and the expensive ones aren't anywhere near as well built as they should be for the price. That Telstar's more expensive than a HAF!

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

don't matter to me as long as it holds the parts that....i put in it and keeps them cool if not...I can modify it so it Will keep them cool 4 sure...
    is that due to the type of medal that used to build the case? or you saying that it looks like reynolds wrap inside...lol does'nt a thinner medal hold lesser heat then a heaver one? I see you like to spend big bucks on certain parts:) me as well mine is in cooling the case fans & heatsinks I like big heatsinks and fans you quote me everytime on my choice of heatsinks that you would'en spend that type of money on...My favorite are cooler masters they work well for me for the longest time...i remember cincy had the ac freezer 7 on his rig and his temps where kinda high then he turned around a slapped the cm 92mm Hyper tx2 back on and the temps dropped 5 degrees what's that telling you? the hyper was cooling better thats due to fan size and rpm's and cfm..hmm as for the HAF well design case it has alot options for the fans setup and the water cooler also..I can't knock that case at all well built...I just like taking something simply and modifying it to make it diffrent it's not how your car Looks but it's how it runs...sam i like you rigs and i know you spended a nice piece change to build them but each of us build on what we like and need out of are systems and we can afford...

enjoy building...

well boys the lite-on 24 was on my bed waiting for me when i came home from work to install it:)
    [​IMG]
    I'll spend the $30 bucks for it to help the economy to grow and keep newegg rolling if I like it may pick up another the greenman's has started a burner junkie here...lol
    1st scan will be over on the scan thread
    out the box...
    [​IMG]
    came in good rapping and packed nice all the way from california Russville.usa
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL nice. I'd like to see some reviews. It has decent specs. Though I think they could have gotten away with 256MB on such a card.

LOL found one. Apparently it sucks for games XD

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, agreed, but for £27 who cares? :)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Newegg lists 13 of them, of which 11 are passively cooled. Given the price difference, if you don't need the HDMI, I think you would be better off with one of these.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102794 You get a lot more for very little money difference. 320 Stream Processors, vs 80 for the 4350, and 256 bit GDDR3 memory vs 64 bit GDDR2. I could be wrong, but I'm sure you will let me know if I am! LOL!! :)

Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm afraid you are. The HD4350 is a better card in every respect. More efficient, better driver-hardware integration and even slightly better 3D performance.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    See what guessing does for you! LOL!!

Thanks,
    Russ

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ are you talking about the 3850?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I accidentally put a period after the address. I changed the other post and there's this one as well!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129129

I can't see any way that the 4350 is better! Either that or the specs mean nothing!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The HD4350 is better than the HD2400 Pro in every regard. However, it is not better than the HD3850. However, why make the comparison? it's not even in the same league. It's almost twice the price (Nearly triple the price after rebates), uses three or maybe even four times as much power, has a huge fan cooler (and not an especially quiet one either) rather than being low profile, standard length and passive. You're essentially comparing a low profile HTPC card to last generation's gaming cards. The improvements to the gaming sector are what let us have graphics cards that do the same job with less noise, less fuss (the HD3850 had pretty poor hardware-driver interfacing), less power & heat, and sometimes less cost.
    The HD3850 sits somewhere between these two, performance-wise:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161262
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121274
    and these cards have all the advantages mentioned previously.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm trying out the Release Candidate of Windows 7 on one of my Dual Core machines (with onboard graphics). Runs very well indeed, and unlike the 7000 Beta, AVG works without killing the machine (though that might have been some quirk with the AMD Turion processor, don't know. Will try out the Release Candidate on that laptop later when i get home).
    I've dual booted with XP on the C2D, as this C2D is my second main machine for video encoding duties i'll start installing all the usual programs to see how Windows 7 holds up. Then i'll triple boot with some linux or other; i usually use TinyMe but just got the latest Mandriva 2009.1 so might give that a whirl.
    However something tells me that Windows 7 might well be my most used OS on this PC :)

edit- it won't run XBMC, either the 8.10 Atlantis version nor the 9.04 Babylon Beta 1. Ah well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  20. dru3692

dru3692 Member

This probably isn't the most appropriate thread but I think there are enough people following this thread that several people will have good input for me.

Have a laptop that gave me the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Trying to recover the data from the HDD. Don't have an IDE converter. Not sure which is the best free software to use (hoping for suggestions). I guess I could try to reinstall XP but not sure how that works concerning the need to reformat the disk. Pretty sure it will only affect XP system files but just wasn't sure. Either way, I don't have a XP install CD to use. I do have a RE-INSTALL CD for XP that came with an old Dell but the recovery feature just drops me at a dos screen that says c:\windows>. I tried use the 'fixboot' command but after writing the new boot sector I still get the BLUE SCREEN. Getting the blue screen after the windows logo disappears and the cursor is the only thing I see over a black screen.

Willing to buy an IDE converter if that will help but I figured there is an easier solution. The owner wants to reinstall XP and I was thinking of putting some simple linux distro on it for the owner's extracurricular downloads ;) which may have brought in a virus that caused this problem in the first place.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.