1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm downloading the Win7 beta at the moment, it will go on my tertiary (main) PC for a while. Just put XP on it for now to set the ball rolling. Didn't want Vista on a machine that uses a 5400rpm eco HDD as its OS drive ;-)

2. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Why would you need a IDE converter?

3. dru3692

dru3692 Member

sorry, should have been more clear. I was told that I could copy files from the laptop 40 pin hard drive to a 44 pin desktop with an IDE converter.

Also, I tried to use an Ubuntu 8.10 live cd to copy the files over to a external hard drive, the live cd would not mount the internal HDD of the laptop. The error message given by Ubuntu said that the HDD was not shut down properly by XP and that I could force the HDD to mount in linux by using a 'force' command in the linux terminal (which I did but still had no luck).

I know there are free data recovery softwares but I'm just not sure which ones are good.

Currently in the process of trying to reinstall windows with this old Dell WinXP re-installation cd, if it will give me a safe option that does not reformat the drive.

4. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

dru3692,

I personally use a Sabrent 5-in-1 adapter that takes SATA & IDE HDD's, including laptop drives, and enables them via USB, which is included. I believe I purchased it at TigerDirect for $19.00, on sale.

BTW, it works great, and I have used it many times with laptop drives, SATA and IDE drives

5. dru3692

dru3692 Member

Thanks. I just got it from newegg for the same price.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You'll come to like the device. I would not recommend using it 24/7 though. That however, could just be MY paticular converters. But ive worn 3/5 of them out running them to Disc burners. They were always stationary too. They definitely make for fairly quick data backups.

7. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

How did you possibly wear them out, there are no moving parts?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What can I say, cheap electronics break...

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, probably exactly that! My most expensive one is still going strong! You get what you pay for. I realize there are good quality products at cheap prices, but more often than not, the cheaper something is, THE CHEAPER THAT ITEM TRULY IS!!! LOL

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Andrew,
    Welcome to AD.

Unfortunately, the CD you used only works on the appropriate Dell computers! If you format, you lose everything, not just the XP! If all else fails, download the "Student Edition" of XP-Pro. Just google XP Student Edition! It's free and doesn't require authentication! You should be able to install it without formatting, but that might not cure the virus problem, so that's your call. The worst that can happen if you try and install XP over itself is, you don't get rid of the virus, and have to wipe the drive and start over!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you do want to try and save something, your best bet is probably to get the drive in another PC with fully up to date virus protection, scan and clean it, then recover the OS (if necessary)

12. dru3692

dru3692 Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am currently waiting for an IDE converter from Newegg so that I can hook the drive up to another machine to backup the important files before I wipe the drive and reinstall the OS.

13. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

A friend of mine is looking for a 32" 1080P LCD on a very tight budget. After a bight of searching the only thing I really found was this Sceptre X32BV. It's got mostly good reviews only a few of them mention a slow black response time which makes gaming look pretty bad. Besides not a having any experience with Sceptre LCD's aren't something I know too much about so does anyone have any thoughts or comments they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    All I can tell you is my Sceptre 20.1 lasted right about 3 years of 14-17 hours a day use, and was rebuilt by Sceptre for $100. The new screen has no bad pixels, and the picture is magnificent. The Customer and The tecnical service is top notch!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Certainly sounds like a quality company with good products then. Don't have to worry about the fact it cost less factoring into quality. Thanks for the input Russ.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    You are very welcome. Sceptre did allright by me. Since I'm only about 45 miles away or so from The City of Industry, Ca. I just took it in and picked it up. I got it back in a week, so I can't complain. Shipping is kinda heavy for monitors because of their weight and the size of the package, so there's $45-$50 saved right there, and no tax for repairs! I fixed mine because I couldn't get a better picture for the money. Mine has an S PVA screen, which is 8 bit, rather than the 6 bit of a cheaper TN panel, so I'm able to get true 24 bit 64 million colors. I watch a lot of DVDs on mine, and the picture quality is beautiful, and the colors are lush! The "Mega Race" in Spy Kids 3 2D, is freekin awsum! I also got a lot for my $100 as everything but the covers was replaced! Even the push button switches were replaced! They may have left the speakers, I don't know, I've never used them. I don't even know if they work as they've never been hooked up! ROFL!!

There's a few others here at AD, that have a Sceptre too. I know ZoSo and Sophocles have one, and I've never heard a complaint from either of them. For the money they usually are a pretty good buy!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Decent looking case if you're into the 'march of the machines's style styling. However, it follows Coolermaster's typical approach to their midrange cases of not including many fans as standard. I'd place this as similar to the RC-690, a nicer design, but no better for cooling, in fact I'd probably place it worse.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ehh, not bad. But it does depend on who's looking. Myself, im attracted to monster cases. The HAF is nothing short of awesome for size. Next to the phenomII, its one of my more favorite purchases :D

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

looking at the deminsions of my 690 and the scout they are virtually the same. the only thing with the scout it has 1 less spot for a fan to be installed. you can only put 1 fan on the top instead of 2 like the 690 has. but the scout you can use 140mm fans in all the slots available. the 690 can only use them in the top and side panel.

kinda like this fan here. but it seems to be limited to CM only. cant seem to find them for retail sale.
    click on the spec once there.
    http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=1664&product_id=2918

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.