1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Rick that's interesting but Windows is already a bootable CD. Are you certain that trying to make a bootable CD even more bootable is an effective use of your efforts?

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

That nLITE did the trick it booted and is loading. I still can't for the life of me figure out why it worked on those other systems, but not this one. That's really strange too me. I just don't know how to tell all of you just how much I appreciate you. All the help & suggestions WOW Thanks

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

For what its worth, most people arent aware that the very free and very powerful burning utility IMGBurn makes bootable cd's. Most people use it in DVD applications but it is equally fine with cd's. Here are basic instructions on use and bootable details at the bottom of the page.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1779

edit---looks like I'm 4 minutes late. Glad things are sorted.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

remember that program when you have to reload windows on that pc as you still have a problem in that the xp cd won't normally boot except with that program.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ddp..NOPE your wrong, what it did was convert my Bootable CD to A bootable CD. I put it in the New Rampage and it took off like a race horse..It took all of 20 mins to load and up and running WinXP, all my other versions took like an hour or more. Imgbrn might have worked never thought of it. But that little nLITE did the trick
    Gotta go everybody I'll be up till 6:00AM loading Programs..Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

NLite is GREAT. I used it to slipstream SATA drivers for my laptop into the XP Install disk and it worked like a charm.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    This is just a shot in the dark, but if you are using a USB keyboard, it may not completely work. I have come across many instances where the USB keyboard would not work. The computer often only looks for the Keyboard connected to the PS-2 plug. If you have one of those, try it as it might save you a lot of aggravation. You could also check the Set-up as often you have to enable support for USB Keyboards and mice!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually ddp is mostly right. Once your CD booted the first time there shouldn't have been any issues after that unless there was something wrong with your copy of Windows. I know Asus boards inside and out and as I stated earlier, I've never needed anything to install XP on an SATA drive going all the way back to the P4P800SE which I still have. It also worked on the P5P800, P5W DH Deluxe, A8N SLI Deluxe, the A8n SLI premium, and the P5Q Deluxe, all of which I still am using. My point is that either your CD rom was bootable or it was not, but from my experience it should have been with your hardware.

I agree that the application can be used for slipstreaming drivers onto a windows install disc although I generally use Nero 7.0 for that, but on all the boards that I've installed SATA drives on since socket 478 I've never needed to do that. What's the missing variable?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

unless it came with recovery disks or system recovery partition on the hard drive, i haven't needed to do the f6 to install third party drivers which includes sata drivers. i've used both my original xp pro & xp pro sp2 to load onto sata drives with no problems whether using fat32 or ntfs formats.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs..It was the key board, I changed it and worked fine. MY troubles are over the hill & far away, all well. THEIR COULD BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE CD as it would not boot, but I just can't figure why it worked on the last 4 Comp.. I put it back in my older Comp and it booted fine. Anyway that nLITE saved my day, I now have a Disc that will boot and install. A computer that is working just fine,running cool and quite. Moving music as we type..
    THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    Sorry it took me so long to snap to the problem! LOL!! It wasn't until I realized that I had had the same problem a few years back. The F8 was what kicked in my memory! Just took me a little time rummaging around the "Attic"! ROFL!! Glad it works!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

looks like Patriot ram won't run at 1066, my damn luck. so the OC)ing) project is on hold!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZoSoIV,
    If you should decide on the Corsair Dominator's, I would suggest these instead of the Dominator's with the fans.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214
    Same memory, and trust me you won't need fans! The ones I have get barely warm to the touch, and I'm currently running mine at 1050MHz on a 1760 FSB! No matter what I do with the computer, they stay amazingly cool!

Still, if you feel the fans worth the extra $10, then get them, but they won't be needed. I've had mine running at 1080MHz without any problems or noticeable increase in heat. Very good memory!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I just ordered the one with the fans. It's cheaper after rebates. I will hook up the fan for novelty's sake, but I will take one of them out(it has three right?) and put them on my northbridge heatsink.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Remember that there is a heat spreader over the actual chips. While drifting through the Corsair support forums I ran across a post where the RAM guy actually recommended fans with the 1066 MHz. If you were discussing 1 X 2 gigabyte sticks then the fan may not be needed. Remember the Jedec standard for DDR2 is 400~800 MHz. These chips have been binned to run at 1066 MHz and 2.10V. Besides the ones with the fans don't cost anymore money. They're the ones that I'm using. The fan can be a bit of a headache sometimes but works well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145173

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Even tho the Corsair RAM is good you could go out on a limb and buy this!!!!

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

You get 3DMark08 with it and it's Mushkin.... what more can I say. :)

I don't have these particular modules but I have the BLUE ones in DDR2 800 and DDR2 1066 (both 1GB x 2). They've been excellent performers and it's NICE to see someone tout something besides Corsair!!!! :D

.....gm

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

thanks guys i told the PC shop to order Corsair PC8500/1066 and discovered i had Patriot in cpu-z when i went to OC . Mort and I spent alot of time trying to get the Patriot to run at 1066 at about 2.2V and its not going to work . the PC shop is going to get a call tomorrow and the Patriot ram is going to be exchanged for the Corsair or maybe the Mushkin GM posted. next build i will order the parts myself (i just need to learn how to put the build together)

18. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Sophocles, whats the difference between the Corsair XMS2 and the Corsair DOMINATOR ? and do i really need the fans for the memory with this Antec 1200 case?

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

hey guys..i got a camcorder that..i have vacation memorys on what would i need to get it to my rig to burn on Dvd..i got the av/out on the camcorder with a cord with rca ends on one end and av on the other end..now for the connection to the Rig which software and card or usb connection would be the best to use to tranfer the data to the hard drive to get it burned to a disk? and it doe's have a s-video plug on the cam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Both are good memory but the Dominators' tend be binned to higher standards for higher bandwidth than the XMS, they generally but not always come with better heat spreaders for dispersing heat, and as a rule are of higher bandwidth but not always. There are some XMS that have both higher bandwidth, same heat spreader, and bandwidth as some of the Dominators', along with heat sink and fans. I think that when corsair hits a new bandwidth standard they often rename previous versions of Dominators to XMS. There are also a couple of different chip makers that are sometimes used for them.

I used to get a lot of my information regarding the chips used in the manufacture of certain modules from this site because I just can't remember them anymore. Micron and Samsung used to be the chips of choice but with wider bandwidth requirements and larger modules that has shifted somewhat.

http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.