1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I bought a Black Sharkoon 140mm fan for my HAF, 11 blade, 1500rpm, VERY powerful. Not at all quiet, but sounds more like a High speed Tricool than a Delta or FM121.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I think I'ma switch my dual core rig over to a new case. I found the LianLi PC-7B Plus II on sale at newegg for $90!!! I want it baaaad XD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099

LianLi makes the sexiest cases I have ever seen. Perfect understated, yet elegant, yet in-your-face looks. Not to mention they are one of few companies to design a good drive bay XD Here's hoping the sale can hold for 2 weeks till I get my paycheck :p

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

LianLi does make some very nice cases, unfortunately they are also often very expensive. That one is a bit small for my needs but the styling is great.
    Since you're going to have the money in two weeks you might be able to buy it and have the bill you. That way between the order processing and the shipping time for the bill it'll be close enough to pay day to just sit on it.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I know nothing about servers at all, and I know you have one. It turns out that this one I got is not a 500MHz P-II, it's an Intel server with a 700MHz socket 370 P-III w/4x512 PC133 Ram. It works, but I can't get into it because of the user-name and password. I can't tell you much more about it. It's set up with Novell, but it's useless, as it's passworded, and the only one that knows the password to it is dead!. I know very little about servers, as I don't work on them at all. Someone offered me $100 for it today, and I told him I would let him know. Any ideas?

Thanking You in Advance,
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There is little wrong with most Lian Li cases apart from sub-par cooling, but as I proved, you can get away with a lot less cooling than you think for PCs.
    Lol Estuansis, how long has that remark been at the bottom of your signature? I don't remember it before (It's also against the rules I believe, 4 lines + picture :D)

Russ: To be fair, it is a bit of a 'cheat' server, it runs an end-user grade Windows XP, and is solely used as a remote download and file server machine. It's hardly dedicated hardware and software for the job.
    The stuff you're talking about is user-entry networking software, Novell being a very common example of that. Unless it's hooked up to the network it used to be on, Novell being on there no longer has any purpose, as it would have been installed so that it could connect to a large network of other machines also running Novell.
    Realistically, you may as well reformat it and start over.

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

No offense is ment here and is only my opinion. but that case looks so plain. flat black 4 drive bays 2 floppy bays pretty basic for that kinda price. Once again its only my opinion but there isnt a LanLi case that i would ever buy. they just dont appeal to me,for that kinda price they are asking they need t odo something more than they do.
    I know i will take a lashing for my comments but cases again are like cars each has their own preference.

and after seeing the CM scout. i am still wanting the HAF932...lol the scout has the same dimensions as the RC690 but is smaller in available space to work with inside the case. and is a little heavier than the 690. now if i could get a deal on one that i got on my 690 than i would get one, but im still gonna try and get the HAF932 once vacation is over(2 weeks)

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I don't want it for myself. I had a very bad experience repairing a simple Windows network at an Insurance agency about 3 years ago, and I've washed my hands of them completely. I was just interested in whether the $100 I was offered for the console was reasonable or not. It's about 9 years old and it runs fine, and is actually faster than I thought it would be. I don't want to cheat someone, but I also don't want to just give it away either, if it's worth more!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

100 bucks is cheap for any PC, but P3s are absolutely ancient. Even the absolute cheapest AMD platform you can buy new (which would cost little more than $100 for CPU, MoBo, RAM, cooler and PSU) would be maybe 4-5 times as powerful at least. 10x if you put a dual core in it.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

nice sam. never seen that one before not even at CM site..lol

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    No offense, but I think you would be better served with something like the case I bought!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119106

There's a number of reasons I feel it's a better case. No, it's not Aluminum, but I personally don't like Aluminum cases to begin with as they resonate vibrations differently than with a steel case. Fans that are quiet in a steel case, many times are louder in an Aluminum one. That being said, the Cooler Master has better cooling, sideways HDD bays, which cool about 10C better than they did with the front to rear bay of my old case. It also is tool-less, and has modular case wiring. I also don't much care for a PSU on the bottom, and prefer it in the normal position at the top. It also has a simple elegance to the look, that I personally feel looks very good. Since I only use two optical drives, I added a Scythe, Kama Bay fan which takes up the remaining three bays (lower), that blows nice cool air right at the memory and the CPU cooler. I moved the stock rear fan to the lower front, and it blows cool air right through the sideways HDD bays, and I replaced the rear 120mm with a 53 cfm Blue LED Silverstone to accent the quiet blue lighting on the front!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220031 I also replaced the side air duct with an 80MM silverstone I had on hand, that helps remove the heat from the video card, which is single slot. All in all, it's a very classy looking case, and since none of the fans spin more than 1200 rpm, with the Kama bay fan at only 800 rpm, the noise level, even with 5 fans spinning is quieter than my old CM Cavalier case was with 4. Like I said, it's a very classy looking, and very functional case. Check it out! It's on sale right now at Newegg!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i absolutely lvoe lian-lis restrained refined styling. as rich puts it, its a palace :)

sam didnt like the "lip (dip?)" in my PC-A70B but i absolutely loved it, and coolign wize my case was awesom, but then again i modded it for watercooling.

i know any cases int he alst 6 motnhs that have comeout normally have 140mm in the front ahd 120mm at the back, and lian-li just ooze quality. maan estuansis, your making me want to ditch my silverstone and pick up a shoebox lianli :D.

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

14. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Hahah that's an awesome case shaffaaf. Once again the design is awesome, but $240 is a bit expensive for what it is imo.
    From what I've seen LianLi's are mainly used/designed for LC so great air cooling isn't really necessary. If I ever decide to do LC build it will definitely be in LianLi ;)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

your 100% right..
    now that case i like but you know what it looks almost like a CM...looking at the front of it and my 690 they look the same.. but yea 240 is a bit out of my range

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 534's not a bad looking case, I much prefer Centurions to Cavaliers. The 120mm side fan is a welcome addition from the 532. Front is also smarter.
    Russ: Re Aluminium cases and fans, use a good enough fan and that point is completely moot. Helps to use Sleeve bearings too for quietness at low speeds.

I have yet to see any case with a 14cm front fan. Ever. There's often a 14cm fan somewhere these days, but rarely the front.

Yuck at the Red Lian Li. Just Yuck! That case in black, however, would be sweet :)

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam lots of lianlis have front 140 nowadays.

there is a normal version aswell :)

im liking the toolfree psu holder.

seriously estuansis i dont have money right now, stop putting thoughts into my head!!! :D

mmmm this has 1 120mm in the front but 2 140mm fitted in the roof. im sure the air cooling is enough ;)

the fans have rubber rings around the screws.

http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/pro...321&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=spec

theres the original

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then it's only Lian-Lis, and even so I have yet to see one.
    How do you not have any money when you sold your £1200 PC and spent a quarter as much to replace it?

Also note the case you linked to has a 120mm front fan like normal.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ha, I intend to put some higher CFM red LED fans in it with vibration dampeners. Nice and quiet with better cooling :)

Haha caught me. Been there for roughly a week XD What fourth line though? ;P

I think the looks are fantastic. A red LED fan in the front to add some menace and nothing more. It's what's on the inside that counts ;)

The internal design is to-die-for IMO. Perfect for the configuration I have planned. It has a lot to do with the quality of the materials used and the actual design of the PC. Lian Li's have all sorts of cool little design features that most cases just don't have. Look at the HDD bay in that case. See what I mean? It's loaded with little tweaks like that. Perfect for a clean and tidy case with good airflow :)

Actually, the machine being moved to a new case is already in a Centurion. I have specific needs that the Lian Li case meets exactly and perfectly.

I have extensive plans to reduce vibration noise and with even better fans than the stock ones. This will be a quiet case with good cooling when I'm done with it. Also, the one I linked to has a top-mount PSU :)

They are sexy aren't they? I've been meaning to get at least one Lian Li case for over a year now :)

I disagree. I think it has the right balance of colors and style to pull the look off. Uber sexy IMO.

ROFLMAO. Go buy one right now. Sell everything and buy just the case. It'll play Crysis maxed when empty ;P

Remember everyone. I am not held down by how the case is out-of-box. That's why it's called a CUSTOM PC ;P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.