1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's what it said on the package. They do make a couple of 2 ball fans in the Gentle Typhoon series. I notice that any mention of the type of bearings is absent from their website or advertising, which is curious as they shout it to the rooftops when they are Fluid Dynamic or Sleeve bearings! What ever they are it's pretty quiet, but not 12.8 dBA quiet. I'll find out next week!

Russ

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

anandtech reportings of RC1 of Win7 that the performance is around the same, some thigns are a few (i mean literally, 1 or 2) seconds better than vista some arnt by the same amount (both 64 bit) and overall both 64 bits are alot better than xp 64 (esp in gaming).

i just want my vista style task bar and im ready to swtich

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

All the hype about it and it turns out to be roughly the same, rather disappointing imo. Probably just going to stick with linux as my next OS if I can get it to work properly.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah but performance isn't what the hype is about. That's what hardware is for. The main concern is functionality. Vista has much less than XP. Windows 7, even in the pre-release, is already more functional than Vista ever was. Just a lot less hassle. Kinda how they released Windows ME, but 2000 was already much better. Sort of a reverse example, but you get the picture.

Linux is very powerful and useful, but it's a hassle to do even basic tasks. Almost everything is command line based.

Exactly my theory with the vibration dampeners on everything. Should cut down the noise quite nicely :)

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It is indeed

Sure is :)

Ah, bliss!, i wouldn't have it any other way :p

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL creaky. People allow themselves to intimidated too easily. OH...thats me LOL!!! If there were no challenges in life, there would be no progress. I dont know if anyone has ever said that, but it sure makes sense.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well I've spent quite a bit of time with several different distros of Linux. Testing and learning what the limits are. I'm not adept, but I can make some use of it if I have to. The only thing keeping me from converting and getting in-depth is the fact that I play games. Without full games functionality, Linux is about as useful to me as using my parents' old Celeron D.

I'm not a multi-media enthusiast. And I don't do much, if any, burning. Nor am I a programmer or graphic artist. So many of the finer advantages of Linux are lost to me. All my machines were built to play games to some extent.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I do however understand where your coming from Estuansis. I do like PLUG AND PLAY. Certainly when I "just want it to work" LOL!

I REALLY wanna try my hand at programming. It'll happen! I don't give up very easily. And since I spend more time on a computer then is healthy (LOL), it shouldn't take as long as one would think. Just know that when I do produce a fundamental change to the world of programming, it won't be for the money. BELIEVE IT. Its simply the way I am :D Im interested in the betterment of mankind!!!

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Right. My machines revolve around working as well as possible with every game and program. Which includes playing well with other PCs as well. Linux is great for the geek community, but sadly, program compatibility just isn't there. Gaming can be done on Linux, but only with a few choice games. Not to mention it throws my sound card and Crossfire out the window :p

I can program to an extent. Basic high school courses on visual basic and C/C++/C#. So I have a good structural foundation. But I want to work on hardware, not software :)

Meh, working some bugs out of my Logitech MX518 after I painted and rebuilt it. Adjusting tactile response on the buttons and moving my added weights and whatnot. I fancy myself a bit of a hardware modder. I've got custom work in every case in my room XD

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

11. creaky

Cor lummee. That speaks volumes about Vista, and of XP. XP's execution had been (repeatedly) staved off 'til next year and Vista is swapping places on the chopping block eh. Shame :)

http://i.my.afterdawn.com/original/22846.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Stability:
    XP > Vista > 98 > 95 > 3.1 > Me
    Performance:
    98 > XP > (Most MS OSes until 2030) > Vista

13. creaky

*creaky chokes on his Apple Pie & custard*

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I may be dense, but could you please explain what that all that means, because I don't have a clue,,especially the last line!

TIA,
    Russ

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

mien would be

vista>98>XP (the one si have used)

Vista>xp>98

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

> = Better than
    so Stability x > y > z
    means x is better than y, y is better than z.

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

& "a" is better then them all.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL at your treatment of Windows Me and Vista. Vista isn't near as bad as Me was. At least Vista is mostly functional and decently intuitive to use. In Me I've had it stop detecting a basic USB optical mouse that worked fine in 2000 on another machine. Me was a waste. 2000 was actually pretty nice.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hence putting Me at the bottom for stability. It was still a much faster OS than Vista is though.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah but with an able machine, the performance in Vista is close to that of XP. It's supposed to take advantage of the newest and fastest hardware. Only problem was it was too big a jump for even slightly aged entry-level hardware. Which most home users have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.