1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Circle? You mean just a blank green background with a normal mouse cursor... :S

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah, with my SP1 installs it used to hang there for a LONG time lol.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    Maybe it's a Government mandated Coffee Break! ROFLMAO!!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At the start of the install? Man, those guys never give you a break! lol

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Good grief, W7 only took 15 mins to install on my C2D.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL Windows 7 is turning out Awesome! It took all of 12-15 minutes to install on my Crossfire machine. Works with all of my hardware including Crossfire and even my X-Fi sound card which Vista was extremely picky with.

I rather like the Vista taskbar over 7 though. The Superbar is different for once, but functionally, the original fits my style of computing better and still looks nice.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It's probably the Lobby for Random Free Electrons! The Government probably decided that Ohm's Law is unconstitutional and repealed it! :)

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ,
    I dont know what I did right this time. LOL! I haven't seen XP run this smooth in a very long time. I click the Web button on my keyboard, and its opening up FAST!!! And I mean FAST!!! If it were any faster, I would think my computer is psychic LOL! SP3 is one of the first tasks I performed. I wanted to get that out of the way(curiosity). I definitely won't be throwing out XP for quite some time! Much like im sure people still employ windows 2000. Didn't get to play with that one much. Mostly just at work :) Thats the OS my last job chiefly used. I thought that SP3 mainly addressed, Video, and security issues. Why do people complain about Sp3 soo much. Something tells me there is nothing wrong with the update itself, but when its used. Apparently timing may be everything in this case.

I suppose windows 95 and XP are what im most familiar with. My mother got an Acer when I was 15. It had a 133mhz cpu, 1.19gb HDD, Windows 95. Probably only a few mb of ram LOL. Too young to recall that figure. given the time frame it couldnt have been much more than 33mb though. Thinking back, it wasn't that bad though. It had multiple good games installed at one point. Doom, Heretic, Abuse, Tyrian, etc. Ahhh...memories LOL!

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Most likely 128 or 256MB in those days. It was a bit rare to see more, and the computers of that vintage all ran fine on them! Get rid of the C++ and write Windows in machine language, and you could forget all about the bloatware. Costs money though, and perish the thought that BG might make a few less millions! LOL!!

I don't know about other people's problems with SP3, but I just don't get the same speed as I used to. Maybe it was co-incidental, but it was reported to happen right after XP whipped Vista's butt in several shoot-outs. It's only affected me now, and that happened 6-8 months ago!

Russ

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My best guess is that it's an incompatibility with your specific hardware or software. If you are experiencing slowdowns, and everybody else is not, they are either minuscule or you have an issue on your machine only. Has this come up again after a reformat? How about with different HDDs? Sometimes the weirdest things can cause speed issues.

Just saw Taken in 720p HD today. Amazing movie. LOL brutal take-downs like every 5 minutes. Kicks a knife into this guys stomach XD

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    See. that's the thing. I have XP Pro on two drives and I can select either one. One has been installed for quite a while. In fact I completely wiped the drive with Killdisk, set up the drive and installed XP-Pro, SP2 on it. I let it update to SP3, and when using that drive, it's noticeably slower. I wiped the drive and set it up again, and I'll try it when the new CPU comes. With the older one, it does about 3000 MIPS better in Sandra, and that's at 3.2GHz. It can't be the CPU as it and everything else was the same. The data transfer rates of both drives are almost exact. I've also used the Seagate Disk Manager to make sure that the caches didn't get turned off some how! I tried new sata cables, switching ports, Same story! I just have no clue! Whatever is different, on that install. I'll find it if I have to put the upgrades in one at a time until I do! LOL

Russ

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ouch, 3000 MIPS is a big drop considering my 7750BE does about 21,500. What does yours normally do?

If you can find the culprit I'd be very interested to find it out.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    About 25,000 @3.2gHz and about 22,000 with the slow one! SuperPi 1M is under 25 sec! Not very common I understand as it's one of the things that AMDs suck at! It sure does get people's attention when you post an under 25 sec 1M superPi! LOL!!

I'll find what upgrade is causing it, but it's going to take time as the only way I know that you can put them in 1 at a time is to uncheck all but one upgrade and try it. Then you have to wait for MS to upload another!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Umm wow.... wtf... exactly 25 seconds SuperPI for mine at 3.2GHz. 21,500 MIPS... Wow... I must have had the same slowdown on this machine and never noticed it. Now I am VERY interested in seeing what the culprit is. Please notify me if or when you find out what causes it. I'd be very appreciative.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    24.846 seconds at 3.2GHz, 24,967 MIPS to be exact, and a hair below 22,000 MIPS at 3.0GHz! Finding out what's causing the problem is going to be a challenge though! LOL!! I will find it though. It's become a "Moral Imperative"! Can't be any harder than replacing the keypad on my V55 Motorola cell phone last night though, and that was a challenge. Never had one apart before, and I don't want to do one again! ROFLMSOAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What are you guys using to measure MIPS? Can Everest do this?

Is this it?

EDIT - Too large a post. SORRY *genuine apology*

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Please use the direct link on pics this large. It screws up the screen and makes you have to scroll sideways. Just use the direct link and then people can open the full picture without it affecting anybody's screen. Thanks!

There's a number of benchmark software out there, I've just always used Sandra. I just got 2009, and I can't say that I like it very much, but I'll give it an honest try! You can't really compare Everest against Sandra, or Sandra against Futuremark, as all use different methods to show performance. It's mostly arbitrary and meaningless. Good as an index of your own computer, but not much more!

Russ

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well let me add in on the MIPS. havent run sandra in a while. and i only have my CPU at 3.5ghz right now instead of my normal 3.65ghz. here is what i got with sandra

[​IMG]

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    That's about right for that clock speed. It's about the same as my old E6750 did at 3.55GHz. I never did benchmark it at 3.8GHz though, because I sold it! I wasn't about to stress anything at that point! LOL!! In spite of the lower clock speed and about 10,000 MIPS slower than the E6750, my 7750BE is much faster at encoding! I'll wait and see what it does this summer when I get the Phenom II for it.

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.