1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

it will have to be pci. i dont have a AGP slot on this board, i do have 2 agp cards though..lol figures.

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

you can put a gpu in the regular pci slot and it will work...I got a few pci video cards laying around...I gotta search thru my junk on the memory to see what...I can come with if not you gotta make a trip to the Mic and buy some cheapee memory they have there...check the paper for sales or clearance items they may have...

Happy Buiding:)

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh yah. That sucks. Thats about my luck rob. Newegg has several though, if your interested in new. 33$ is the cheapest though. I dont know about spending that kinda green, on an old rig LOL. Though I suppose given the right circumstances I might :)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah that's what I suspected he was seeing, but didn't want to sound too condescending, apologies if I did.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bigwill68,
    I have an eMachine about the same vintage, only a cheaper model. 2.70 Celeron and a 40GB WD IDE drive. The motherboard is bad. I just sold the Celeron, memory, and CPU cooler for $100. Really weird Combo drive too. It doesn't like to read a lot of disks, especially burned DVDs or CDs! Socket 478 though! Bummer!

Glad you like the 16x9 Asus monitor. It is a beauty! BTW your Inland Adapter link doesn't work! Gives an error message!

cincyrob,
    Glad I was able to help. Good luck with it!

sammorris,
    I don't remember anything but a 15 pin "D" connector for video, whether it was CGA, EGA or VGA!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    That's a 9 pin "D" connector Com port! LOL!! It doesn't have OBG! I have no idea why they still provide them. Not much good for anything but a Dial-up Modem!

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually I recently (6 months ago) had to buy a Serial to USB adapter for my PC in order to update the software on a diagnostic device my dad uses for work. It's new, too.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

9 pin 'D', Serial port, etc. It seems like video game controllers once upon a time used them.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Unless you have the model that has two DDR and two DDR2 slots, it should be DDR 333 or DDR 400, not DDR2!

Russ

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rob, what board is that as it appears to have either an agp or pci-e slot on right side of picture?

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Agreed. Have had one for a while now and it plays HD content marvelously.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,
    It's Pci-E!

Russ

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

that is true russ i had to hook up my 18x liteon that i had laying in my parts supply cabinet to install xp home on it cause the cd rom would'en read the disc or the eye was dirty from sitting to long it has the same cpu as you had 2.70 celeron a stick of 512mb...I was gonna buy her a cheap 212d pioneer dvd burner and slap in for $20 buck at the Mic but the hard drive comes first i'll redo that link again and see if it works...I went to the Home site to get the link here's what...I goat at the Mic for $15 bucks and it works great

http://www.inland-products.com/singleproduct.asp?search=usb&partnum=08412

any one of these should work
    http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0264177

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0166118

hey pull one of those sticks out your hp and stick in there to fire it up it's a 512mb pc2700 you only need 1 did'nt you say you had 2-512 sticks in the hp Rob?

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
  14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

once again showing my ignorance and not looking closely at the board until now. i have the board that has 2 ddr and 2 ddr2 slots. the mem my buddy at work let me use, i only tried them in the ddr2 slots thats why they wouldnt fit.
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2255&ost=others#anchor_os

look closely at the mem slots they are different. i just now noticed that.
    the board will take ddr2 400 & ddr2 533.
    Will your right i forgot about the extra mem in the HP it should work. but i stilll need a gpu. the 2 AGP cards i have wont fit in the pci slot ive tried that for sure.i might have one on the way from a friend at work though. looking at this board it seems like a pretty good board. i think once i get the mem and gpu in it, it will be a desent board.

i was kinda liking this mem here.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134030

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    If it was me, I would get this instead!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145040
    Only a couple of dollars more, pc6400 4-4-4-12 timings. Plus, I've used them many times and it's good memory. If there is an EPP setting in your bios, turn it on and the memory will control itself, as it's EPP memory!

BTW I noticed the difference in the slots where the notches fit, and then looked it up! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow guys! Im really loving windows 7. I had to reboot windows XP to get it to give me the "Dual view"(1280 X 1024, 1920 X 1200) configuration. After that, I booted into windows 7, and it already did it automatically. It hadn't even seen the second monitor yet!!! Microsoft...I hope you keep up this awesome WOW streak you got going on LOL! Im so impressed, im already recommending it to people.

Well...Now I remember why I like my LCD monitors so much LOL! Even the Acer 20" 1680 X 1050 blows this MAG monitor out of the water. And the samsung...LOL! This samsung, is nothing short of a godsend! I can't wait to see their 30" in action :D

The reason I hooked this monitor up, is because I have multiple television shows/movies I watch while multitasking(Who doesn't LOL)Though I forgot what It looked like. Compared to new LCD monitors, its a joke. Perhaps once I get drawn in to a movie/show...I won't notice. *fingers crossed*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  17. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

omegaman7,

I thought you weren't going to screw up the screen again for us small screen viewers? At least, it's not as bad previous ones!!

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    I see you use ImageShack, so why not use the direct link or thumbnails for larger images. Believe it or not there are a number of people here who are running their computers at 1024x768. I'm at 1280x1024 until my Sceptre comes back. Something about the firmware is what they said!

Personally, I think the direct link is best as the thumbnails make you open ImageShack, and you have to open it twice to see full size! Saves space and bandwidth too. Shrinking the size of the picture doesn't help, because it loses detail and if it requires reading, you are mostly out of luck!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Looks fine to me, i guess he fixed the source pic.

Unlike a lot of you i only use 1400x900 screens, but basically the industry standard for web pages is still the proverbial 1024x768 so that's realistically the maximum that a screenshot should be :)

20. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Exactly, and that is what I use (1024x768), so anything larger means I have to scroll back and forth, what a PITA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.