1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bigwill68

If your card supports it you can capture through S-Video. What is the make and model of the camera and does it offer other connections besides S-Video which is kind of aging. It was originally created for use with S-VHS which really never got off the ground.

More info would be helpful and we might want to take this to another forum.

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The fans are quite easy to install and do a fair job of cooling. Remember that DDR2 was never intended to run beyond 800 MHz, and most DDR2 native voltages are usually less than 2 volts. The bandwidth of 1066 MHz is perfect for overclocking without going much beyond that but even at stock they're going to generate some heat so why not get the extra protection.

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

i think you should get them ZoSo..there good choice..i was reading the specs on your case also on newegg..man that joker got alot room it 3 intake fans on the front..it reminds me of a cooler master cosmos in some way..the memory your thinking about getting will be on my nexts build good luck with that and any future builds you try..

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

good point it can't hurt having the added protection, and yes Bigwill the Antec 1200 in a monster lol

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, they must have much more contact area than the standard XMS2 spreader then... my RAM's currently idling at 55ºC, in an ambient case temperature of 35ºC.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    The link doesn't work!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, no luck here either.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    My Dominators are idling at 35-36C. Ambient is 28C! I used the thermal probe on both as my MB doesn't have sensors for the memory temp. Like I said, they are barely warm at 1056MHz!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use a thermal probe for mine too. It seems right though, the sticks are scalding to the touch. Suppose because there's four of them stuck in there.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Monsters are good or more than half my DVD collection is faulty.:D

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I haven't been able to connect all day.

Just because you can't feel heat on your heat spreader doesn't mean that things aren't hot. I'm just passing on advice given by "the RAM guy, and the personal experience of loosing to modules over the last two years.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I asked about this on another forum (i found out by receiving my new front panel with working temperature sensors, so it was on their site) and they said RAM running 60 degrees or so is more than acceptable.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sometimes sensors aren't always right, but I'm not really debating temperatures. My point is if you purchase RAM that comes with heat sinks and fans then use them. The Prime Directive of overclocking is that better temperatures are always better. Why take a chance try and find out the hard way if you already have the hardware?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Quite agree, However, my temperature sensor, if not right is close, and given that, the RAM must have been running at that temperature for months, so far with no incident.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

]

That sounds good but when my modules went bad each had been running for more than a year. These were not mediocre Corsair modules either, they were the pro versions that were available (One even had the pretty LEDs)just before corsair released their Dominator series. Of the two pairs of memory discussed both were Corsair, both ran at the same speed, but one included the heat sink and fan at no extra cost. Installing the heat sink and fan took me about five minutes since not tools are required, because it used thumb screws. Now why not use them if cooler is always better?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As it happens, a forum member who doesn't post much spoke to me on msn and we discovered one of his sticks of RAM has failed, that's decent corsair stuff, and it's in one of the coolest cases out there, the Antec 900 (i mean ventilation, not kudos.. hehe), so memory can just go bad at random, even proper stuff.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Agreed! But is it just as, or more likely to happen when it's running considerably cooler?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With RAM I'm not sure. There will certainly be a point at which it will have a shorter lifespan but where would that be? After all my Asus HD3870 ran at around 60-61C full load in my PC, so you'd think if something happened to it that made it run 20 degrees hotter it'd be bad, yet my X1900XT ran at 91-92C full load quite happily for over 18 months...

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

An interesting analogy but RAM in a graphics card is not the same as that used in a system. I think they use the if it won't burn the GPU measure than the RAM is probably OK. Different chips can handle different temperatures as I stated earlier when review the Netburst designs, but that's again not the point. Why would you have something that could be beneficial and not use it??? Heat will eventually kill any chip even used at default, but we know that the cooler it runs the greater the longevity that it is likely to have, and that's carved in stone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.