1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Yeah, as I discovered they seem to turn out just fine. My understanding is that there's always the possibility it won't be readable later on, particularly by a different (and normally worse) drive, which would be be a problem since I only burn stuff to keep for later use.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Potentially, but if you don't buy bad drives there's no problem eh? :p

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

nec has joined with sony/optaric. jjust makeing the chipset in them

you need up to date firmware... my old hP burner wont burn any new media cause it cant read the structures of the newer stuff

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah it was a joint venture with Sony and NEC (55/45%) and Sony bought the NEC share, so it's now solely a Sony company.

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Thanks Cincy

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I dont call it a $ony drive, I call it an optiarc. In my opinion, $ony bought rights. Nothing more. I rarely refer to it as a $ony. Its Nec's chipset, Period. :p (well, unless your talking about the 7220 LOL)

7. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

True lol.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL @ all this talk about drives. I burn like 1 disk a month tops XD

As far as I'm concerned, you buy a DVD-RW drive, tt reads your disks. If it has problems with certain disks just replace it with a better one. I didn't know there were so many models and variations XD

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

this board here should be next for you right Russ?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, I don't think Russ wants an AM3 CPU or DDR3. He didn't originally want a board without OBG but that has since changed.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris and Bigwill,
    Actually, I'm waiting for the AM2/AM3 Phenom II due shortly. I bought the 9500GT out of frustration! LOL!! I've been playing more games since I got it, and the 9500GT is better than the HD3300 graphics of the OBG at playing games, so..... I got spoiled! Actually, the AM2/AM3 Phenom II will be the first upgrade, and then eventually something like the board Will linked me, will be the next one! Right now I have to check on unlocking the other two cores of my 7750BE, since they show in the ACC controls in the setup. Don't know if it can be done, but I'm gonna try!

Russ

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Russ, AFAIK the 7750 can only be unlocked on certain Biostar and ASRock boards. Gigabyte boards don't do it I think. I've looked into it but my 780G board is an SB700 so it doesn't even have ACC as an option. I'd try with my 790FX board but what's the point? Already have a Phenom II.

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Hey Russ if you don't mind stepping over to dark side of the web here's a link to get intouch with a few fellows on help with that...(Luke I am your Father) vander said just alittle humor from the darkside...I found it can be done but I hav'en read which board they are using but...I have read the AMD Athlon 64-X2 7750 BE can be Unlocked to Quad-Core by Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC) feature In the bios, to changed only the acc to(Auto).
    And, the 4 cores was displayed in CPU-Z, Everest and TaskManager...

XtremeBoyz
    and
    Phenom II X3-720BE List Capable to running 4 cores or not
    Phenom II X3 list of batch

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Does the 7750 unlock to an original Phenom, Phenom II or neither? I heard it was Phenom 1 technology, but of course the clock speed is higher than any original Phenom. Perhaps that's why, only the dual cores on that architecture could run at such speeds?

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

It's a B3 stepping Phenom I. 2 x 512K L2, 2MB L3. When unlocking, you unlock more L3 cache as well IIRC. And I think the core code-name switches to Agena but I'm not sure.

Sweet if you can unlock it Russ. But so far from what I've heard about Gigabyte boards, they can't do it. I have a friend on another forum who unlocked it with a Biostar 790GX board and he was able to keep it OC'd to 3.2GHz vs his previous 3.4. It actually performed pretty well too.

Sweet chip though for the price. Very happy with it even in dual core. Was cheaper than an E5200 and overclocks OK. Though I hear you can get it to 3.5GHz or so with ACC on. Zippy in just about everything and a budget sleeper in games. It surprised me :)

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It's a B3 stepping Phenom I. It has the same exact transistor count, and shows 4 cores in the setup. I tried enabling ACC, but it won't boot and you have to clear the bios to the default settings. I found out afterwards, that it won't work on the GigaByte 790GX chipsets. It only seems to work on Asrock and Biostar 790GX motherboards.

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a shame really as I would like to have seen how effective it is. Ah well. Is it any different re: manufacturers for 790FX users?

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'd like to see it done but I'm not sure if I want to do it with my own. I'd rather keep the systems together as they are.

LOL Running a 1080p movie and two 720p movies on my X2 7750BE! It's at 100% load but not a hitch! LMFAO

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    The FX is really a misnomer! With the OBG, the FX ran a faster clock for the video, 800MHz vs 700MHz. What the difference is without OBG, I'm not really sure, but it may be a higher memory performing NB Chip when you overclock! The FX is capable to DDR3 1666 (O.C.), while the GX with DDR2 is only capable of DDR2 1200. The FX also supports full 16x Crossfire! That's about the only differences I can see!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It sounds to me like the FX is less held back because it doesn't have OBG to get in the way, in much the same way as any board in the past with OBG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.