1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My FX board used DDR2 and supports up to 1200 I think. Full 16x Crossfire and it's working quite well too. Plus DDR2 800 is still the magic stuff for me :)

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Not really, it's a totally independent system that can be turned off completely with no ill effects on the memory or it's performance! Also, it's not a hindrance to overclocking like other OB Graphics are. Turning it off is akin to changing a video card!

Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, not disagreeing architecturally, but it still seems to have the same effect, albeit to a lesser extent. Is the underneath of the 790GX weaker than the 790FX?

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

di still say itd take up heat, room in the NB etc etc, therefore the mobo has to use tracks, layers for the OBG, where as for one without, it can focus on only the OC performance.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, I also see no evidence that every part of the OBG section is fully disabled when it is not used. Even if unused, power still runs to it, I'm willing to bet it acts like a second graphics card when disabled by the PCI express bus. Completely dormant, uses a lot less power than when normally idling in 2D, but still uses a substantial amount of power and produces heat, and still essentially powered up.

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

not forgetting mobo manus have to take time to incorprate it into the baord, where as that time in normal mobos coudl be put to refining the board/bios

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's a good question! The 790FX is 65nm while the 790GX is 55nm. The FX suports x16 crossfire and Quad x8 crossfire, but probably runs a bit hotter. I've found the best setup for mine is 16x on the multiplier and let EPP manage the memory. It gives the best results in benchmarks, and while it will run at 3.5gHz and pass Linpack and Orthos, but it randomly crashes while doing other seemingly mundane stuff. I still have a lot to learn about AMD! LOL!! For now I'm just going to leave it alone and wait on the AM2/AM3 Phenom II. To me, it makes no sense to buy the AM2+ version right now, because I would loose an upgrade path by not being able to go to an AM3 motherboard!

Russ

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Well, the graphics part of it is completely turned off via the setup, as well as turning off the link to the main memory and the Sideport memory. I can tell you this, the D-Sub and DVI ports are electrically dead when both are shut down!

Shaff,
    Normally I would agree on the bios development, but in this instance there have been very minimal changes in either bios so far. That means they hit the ground running, with minimal fuss. All the bios upgrades addressed CPU recognition of some of the newer chips, and minimal other problems. Very little was needed to improve performance. This was a case where the chipset was ready before the CPUs were! Neither the 780 or 790 chipsets were very green! LOL!!

Russ

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

haha :)

fair enough :)

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    In all fairness it's probably because the CPUs were so late coming out! LOL!! Just about everything was late until the Phenom II came along! Since then they have been early with everything that followed the Phenom II. That's why I asked a while back, "Who are these people and what have they done with the real AMD"? I think the term vaporWare was coined in reference to AMD! LOL!!

Russ

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i thought it was caus of duke nukem for(n)ever

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You heard? Duke Nukem is Fine', as in no more! ROFLMSOAO!!

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ive been with them throughout LOL! Im not against Intel by the way. Im a firm believer that sometimes, you get a cracked egg. I dont give up on a manufacturer easily! I would like to give them another shot, but darnit...THEY'RE EXPENSIVE! LOL!

I have virtually no complaints on ANY of their processors that I own. I have several. Obviously, the PhenomII Deneb would be my more favored XD. I guess I have a reason to be disappointed in the Mobo though. My own fault for buying an OBG board though. But you know...atleast its a solid backup. If my BFG vid card fails, I have something else to fall back on, EASILY. Just a simple plug'n driver away :D Besides, 3.5Ghz is nothing to sneer at. Certainly when your talking PhenomII GHZ!!! XD

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i know :(

i loved duke nukem 3d aswell :D

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sooo whats happening with the PSU?

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

As sam pointed out, 11.86 Vdroop, is nothing to worry about. Besides, it averages around 12.06V on the 12V rail. While the PSU, is somewhat erratic concerning stability, I dont believe that its the problem, when im attempting to OC. But who knows, ive been wrong before. There are many variables to consider. Unfortunately, finances currently limit me in my attempting to understand, and attempt a solution.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    From what I've been seeing around the web, I don't see any difference in overclocking at all, so why would you be disappointed in the MoBo? I will find out for sure on Monday, but after thoroughly looking over the board, Turning off the two controls (very important to turn off both!) in the setup, completely eliminates the OBG, just like you took out a video card!

I very much liked the DS4H, even more than the UD4H. For one I will now need a sound card for the game port, just to play my Casio Midi Keyboard through it and have a third or forth keyboard to add to my two and three manual Organs! I can even add a swell pedal for it! That, and I lost my scanner because there's no printer interface anymore to plug it into. I have the breakout panel, but nowhere to plug it in! And no, I don't want to buy a new keyboard or scanner! LOL!!

Russ

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

mm yeah thats true, do you not know anyone around you that you can borrow a powerfull psu from for 10 mins?

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What TWO controls do you speak of? Because if im missing something, I owe it to the community to lay the capabilities of the DS4H on the table. I dont want Gigabyte to suffer because of my lack of knowledge LOL!

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Borrow a PSU? No! Im the only EXTREME enthusiast that I know in my area. I guess I could remove all non essential components, in an attempt to gain a few watts. One HDD, one ODD, perhaps even disconnect some Leds. If my PSU is on the frits, OCZ will be hearing from me!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.