1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    In the M.I.T. just below the PCIE. That one disables the GPU clock, and in the Advanced, top item, Internal Graphics Mode set to disabled! That disconnects it from the memory!

Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ,
    Im not disappointed per say. I guess I have mixed emotions. Ive heard a few negatives regarding my type of board in the last few weeks.
    1. On board Graphics(not recommended for OC'ing)
    2. Not the best placement for the S-ata ports.(When considering Sli/crossfire)
    3. AM3 is now the top dog
    Dont't get me wrong. Im not knocking this board. Just noting its faults. It WILL happen to any/all boards eventually! Boards/components are outdated every month LOL!

Thanks for your reply russ, Im looking into it now

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

One of my favorites was "Blake Stone, Aliens of Gold"! At the time it took the concept of Wolfstein to a complete floorscape experience. It was 3d graphics inside 3d graphics (for the day) It plays on XP, but the sound is nakered!

Russ

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I don't remember if they are the same as on my motherboard, but 4 of my 6 Sata ports point toward the front of the computer. PITA to plug in because of the HDD Bay, but absolutely ideal for a bunch of long wide video cards! I installed all 4 cables before I put the MB in the case!

Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This is the DS4H
    All six of my S-ata ports run parallel with the SECOND Pci-E port. Well...my current gpu blocks at least 4 of them. Which is unacceptable. I haven't actually tested what im claiming here, but my vid card is soo large, that I would not doubt even for a nanosecond, that it would block at least 4 ports. Since I have no real interest in sli/crossfire, no big deal. Im not yet that avid a gamer :p Perhaps some day. I am getting pretty into Left 4 Dead!!!
    [​IMG]

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hey Russ, speaking of another build in the future, it's seems your leaning on a AM3, if so does gigabyte have a mobo to support it, if so does newegg have one?

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Thanks Omeg, I think if I was ever to build another I would lean towards the $139, I see the $179 board has some extra features but for myself I don't think I would find either one as a benifit to me anyway.

I also see you have a WD 150 Veliciraptor, I know thier pretty expensive but if I do another build I would definitely be interested. How long have you had yours and is it as fast as I read thru many articles?

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ,
    Ive since tried to match "Estuansis" Clock. I tried the two settings that you mentioned.
    The OBG GPU clock was already disabled. However, I disabled sideport mem, and there is no change to OC performance. BSOD after two attempts. I tried P95, 2 different tests. Lots of ram tested, and not much ram tested. Darnit!!! I wish I had an FX board to slap this CPU in, and Know for sure what the heck is going on!!! Perhaps tomorrow, I can do what I said, and remove EVERY non essential component, and see if I gain enough Wattage to stabilize the OC. Time will tell. I guess this CPU, may just teach me a lesson. AMD did NOT guarantee any OC speed. It runs at its stated speed, it even runs well beyond it. If 3.5 is as far as it goes, than I should be indeed happy :D AMD did not guarantee more than 3.0Ghz!

Fred,
    I dont regret buying the Veloci. Its impressed me in more than one way. However, the FALS terabyte drive, has an ability that even the veloci hasn't accomplished. But then, the FALS is nothing more than a storage drive. In my opinion, I would TRY to hold out for Solid State Drives. If you cant though, VelociRaptor is a force to be reckoned with! The velociraptor averages 120+Mb\s Read!

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Omeg what is a Fals Drive?

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It's western Digitals designation for their 1000GB Hard Drive :D
    (One of them anyway)

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Wow, way to big for me, regardless I would pretty much use the Veloci with my OS and maybe add on a 500 for storage.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Fred,
    Yes, GigaByte has several! First I want the AM2/AM3 Phenom II for a while in the UD4H, so I can see what it will do in it. Then I'll use it for a while and then I'll wait and see how things shake out with all of the AM3 motherboards. I don't want to rush anything and pay more, or get less than what's best. By that time the prices will have gone down on the MB, CPU, and the DDR3! By that time I'll also have enough knowledge to make a good choice when the time comes! I'm not in any big hurry! LOL!!

Asus has a fine MB in the MA-79T Deluxe, but i would probably go with this one from GigaByte because of the 10 Sata Ports.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128377
    The complaints about it center on idiots that can't read! Upgrade the bios, Morons! LOL!! There's a note in the box to update the bios, for a reason! I would still wait until more was known, but right now, that's the front runner for me! It 100%, meets my every need!

Sending sendthisfile in a couple of minutes!
    Russ

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Yup I hear Ya Russ, I would have leaned on the $139 myself, I side with the GB boards for many reasons, but I sure did not like the comments on the board you just posted, one or two bad comments it's called s#*t happens, but there were a flood of bad comments, kinda scary.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i have heard wonderfull things about the MSI 790FX-GD70.

lol some of those reviewers are so stupid!

i mean normally if your going to buy such a good board youll have a decently sized GPU and that would kill a good few ports, thats why they face adjacent with the board, its been a standard since P35 for GB in their upper sereis and most others in their mid to upper series. lol

though some people say updating their boards didnt help, remember most people that post are going to post IF something goes wrong and not if something goes right.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I looked at it, but right now the GB gives me everything I need, to do things the way I want to do them! I'll take a hard look at what's out there when I'm ready. So far it's my only solution for my needs, as a second sound card will be a problem if I have to put one in, I loose that channel from the F/O SPDIF out.

Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    It's too new, at the moment. It's not the same as when the 780GX and 790GX came out. Those chips were very refined because of the delays with the CPUs. That pretty much goes for most good brands. Most problematic motherboards are just a bios Flash away from being very good!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Electrically dead? If they truly are, you would get 'check signal cable' when you plugged a cable in, not 'no signal' or 'entering powersave'. Also, just because the DVI port is turned off doesn't mean the OBG is turned off. I think if it were that easy to completely shut down a GPU, it would have been implemented for Crossfire systems when the second card was disabled.
    Is it only me that spotted that the initials for Duke Nukem Forever also stand for Did Not Finish?

Omega: This is something that many people comment on, Intels being more expensive. Per performance they are, but it's such a small difference it's usually barely worthy of discussion. When you think of all the benefits you get with an Intel, I'd say they're pretty well matched, and what little extra cost there is, is justified. Hehe, you think 3.5 Phenom II Ghz is good, wait until you see 3.5 Yorkfield or Bloomfield Ghz, or higher (since they'll both go higher :p)
    On the PSU front, I bought several units to play around with when I had issues with Quad crossfire. I had one bad PSU I wasn't expecting of the bunch, but unsurprisingly, the unit I expected to fare the best still did the job fine. (but with 10x more noise).
    Russ: Side-on S-ATA cables make sense for cable management but NOTHING else. Even in the giant HAF932, they are an absolute pain to work with. Standard S-ATA port positioning with big GPUs wasn't fun, but I preferred it (That said, a lot of boards lose several S-ATA ports when you use big graphics cards, I expect this move is foremost to resolve THAT problem)

Fred, Omega: FOr AM3, I would probably take the 790XT for standard builds, 790FXT for Crossfire systems. I wouldn't really ever go for the 770T, because it's a low end board with low end hardware. This is what Gigabyte do best, but I still wouldn't be happy putting a Quad core, especially an AMD in a board that cheap, even if the AM3 ones are significantly better than the AM2+ chips. If you wanted a Dual core, why would you be using AM3?
    Having read the criticisms though, I do have my doubts. The 790FXT-UD5P does seem like yet another example of where Gigabyte's high end product has been the inverse of its lower end counterparts for reliability. I also refuse to accept a board needs a BIOS update for a chip it is designed from the outset to use. You should NEVER be forced into a BIOS update to use a board, since Gigabytes will revert BIOSes if they crash (which means anyone who uses one needs to be familiar with the BIOS flash process, tech-literate or not) and Gigabyte, not unlike other board manufacturers, have put out lethal BIOSes in the past.
    Omega: Re: the 1TB drive, what has it achieved that the Velociraptor hasn't? Surely the only thing I can think of is 1TB storage, or lower noise. The drive has a high throughput but not as high as a VR, nowhere near it.
    MSI and Biostar are all the more tempting these days. I'd suggest DFI too, but their intolerance for hardware is still as bizarre as it ever was.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, for one, the FALS has a larger cache. Im unsure how this would effect their performance. Ive been under the impression for a few years, that larger cache is always better.
    MOST noticeably, is when I run a windows search, the FALS is EXTREMELY fast about its searches. Indexed or not! For searches, its the quickest drive Ive ever seen. Although a SSD, would probably annihilate! There however is no doubt, for basic tasks, programs, and boot up, that the Velociraptor owns!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16822136284,N82E16822136296

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.