1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wasn't actually referring to the memory, I meant the core. Of course it's completely different technology, but look at all the various different levels of cooling quite similar RAM has. Surely the cheapest options wouldn't exist if they couldn't cool the RAM safely?

As for the issue over the dominator fans, I haven't argued for or against it right now, I was more looking for anyone who knew any more about the limit for RAM temperatures to put my mind at rest. However, the dominator fan will certainly be useful, a RAM cooler worked wonders for my housemate when his RAM overheated (he has even less case ventilation than I do). However, RAM coolers use small, fast fans, which make an irritating noise. For some people, not an issue I know, but if you do want your PC quiet, it's worth considering something fanless like an HR-07, or whatever the number is for the RAM cooler.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If they aren't used for or advertised for the explicit purpose of overclocking then what's the point of added cooling? As Russ stated a while ago, the Jedec standard for DDR2 is 400~800 MHz. The RAM that we've been discussing is 1066 MHz RAM which is out of spec for the standard. All the various types of RAM require only as much cooling as needed based on how they are used. If I was going to do a build and run the system at stock speeds, I'd get the cheapest RAM that I could find with the lowest latency, and heat sink bedamned.

3. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Question, if i am using my PC and the screen goes black and then my system reboots fine that would be most likely the grpahics card shutting itself down due to a heat issue?

The reason i ask is because i had my CPU on load and it shut down and i was abit worried about my quad. I upped the fan speed with rivatuner to keep my gpu temp down(when i rebooted it was at 58, i know thats low for a gpu but hey my 3870 doesnt like much heat)

After i did that and did the exact same thing i was doing(on load) my pc was fine. Had a scare there.

On my next build(probably next year) i'm not going to bother overclocking anything more than cpu. Too risky these days.

As for RAM cooling, the OCZ one is worth the purchase. Don't hold me to this(i'll have to recheck) but the RAM i have is 800 and 4-4-4-15. A mate used the ram cooler and was able to get the same ram i have to 1066 at 4-4-4-12.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Anything is possible but when a graphics card over heats it tends to introduce artifacts (visual distortions). My guess would be an overheated processor which will crash and cause a reboot. This doesn't mean that your processor was harmed it's just doing what it was meant to do, shut down before it can be damaged.

5. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

As for CPU temps i've never had anything over about 40c(on load)

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Then it could be software related or any number of things but including graphics card, but I doubt the last one. I'm not saying that it couldn't be your graphics card but my experience has me looking elsewhere. I've been overclocking graphics cards for close to a decade and the result of pushing it beyond its limits and overheating it has always been artifacts, or a freeze up.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Greg I don't mean to be "suspicious" but 40C at LOAD is really quite unbelievable.... I have that same cpu (not operating right now.. waiting on mobo) and it never went below 26C at idle.. that's damn good btw.... I was on "cheapy" air and at load it went to the low 60's.

.....gm

edit: took out my last statement... re-read it and it didn't make any sense.. I was thinking of something else while answering that post... sorry about the silliness. ;)

8. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Thermalright Ultra Extreme and Arctic Silver 5. Lethal combo for Air i think. Not to mention decent air circulation in my case. Replaced the NZXT fans with S-FLEX.

If the morning is cool ive seen temps as low as 16c(idle) This was in like December when it was getting to about -3 and stuff.

One of the benefits of living in Scotland and having a room agood 40 feet up.

9. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

GregI6: Can you tell me which S-Flex case fans you have?
    I have the same case as you do, and my air circulation is garbage...something I learned from my ridiculously high temps...

10. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

http://scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=533394

The 1600rpm one. I only have one at the side(just fits in due to the cooler) and on the cpu cooler itself so you could go one better and stick another at the front aswell.

Not sure what to do with the RED Led one at the back. I'll just leave it i think.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well living in a cool climate will help temps for sure. :) Hope your heater is a good one or you'll need to use your puter for a heat source. hehehe. :p

I'm thinking it's either your cpu or RAM... see if you can get some readings on your RAM... sorry if you already posted it.. feeling a bit lazy today... :) It's my anniversary!!! :D

How many times has this happened?? What were you doing each time it did it??

...gm

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah it sound like the CPU or the ram to me also, unless you have a virus or spyware problem?

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

if the cpu is overclocked, it could be a stability issue. and I quote "The reason i ask is because i had my CPU on load and it shut down". not enough vcore is a definate possibility.

40c under load is not uncommon for cpu temp. my Q9650 at 3.4ghz only runs about 38c under load. now the core temps are a different story. they run about 60c with software using a TJ-Max of 105c and about 50c with software using a TJ-Max of 95c. all good as it is still 45c to TJ-Max regardless of which software I use.

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

could be a power supply issue also

15. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Thanks for that. I gotta get me some of those.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Greg16,
    Question! Do you know what Q6600 you have? B3 stepping or G0 stepping. If you don't know, give us the numbers off the CPU box, or if it's an OEM, the Invoice! Is it overclocked? If you have CPUZ, what does the CPU voltage read on it? I'm guessing that the CPU needs a little higher voltage, especially if as I suspect, it doesn't re-set the bios. It's more like hitting the reset button!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Doesn't CPU-Z also tell you if you have G0 or B3?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Good thinking Boozer! Didn't think of that myself! LOL!!

Russ

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Just here to help lol.

You guys like my new sig?

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah pretty cool . i don't know if the phrase "A Good Kick In The Nuts" will fly with the mods though , its cool with me lol

BTW I'm ordering new ram today!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.