1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mmm, my friend's server uses RAID6, which has a huge potential transfer speed, internally many hundreds of MB/s. Of course, he paid the full price for a 16-port Areca RAID6 hardware PCIe card. I'm not quite willing to spend 8TB worth of storage on the controller itself...

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes, im aware of that. I like to experiment, even when the answers are right in front of me LOL! I like to see things for myself. I am also aware of how risky raid 0 is. It would only be housing my operating system. I would love to see installs go quicker, as well as certain programs opening up super quicker. And again, more than anything, I LOVE to experiment LOL! :D Hands on is by far the best way to learn. Im sure most of you will agree.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and from my own experience I can tell you that you won't be loading programs any faster.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Higher Mb/s...and your programs didn't open up quicker? So basically, Raid 0 arrays, ARE POINTLESS? Cause from the responses ive read, it sure seems that way. From what ive read across the web, Raid 0 (mathmatically), doubles both read and write speeds, respectively. Now obviously, controller cards, software, Mobo, could have a great deal of influence here. But ideally, isn't this true of Raid 0? Processors, typically wait on HDD's. HDD's are the biggest bottleneck in any system. With a Raid 0 array, it splits the data in half to say...A and B, Bits. Much like Ram, its best to use identical drives, with identical size and speed.

Does anything sound wrong here?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

RAID0 ups transfer speed, not response time. Most of the time response time is what we're 'waiting' for. A gig of memory can be loaded off any modern hard disk in 12 seconds flat. That's as much memory as XP will use with all your programs open, and only twice that much for Vista. The time is the time spent seeking around to find the data, and using RAID0 only makes that worse, not better.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh, but I bet you'd be on board with solid state disks ehh.

I think im gonna wait, and play with SSD, when they become more mainstreamed. MORE AFFORDABLE! :D

7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

From someone who has experience with both RAID5 and SSD's I think I may be able to speak on this...I setup RAID5 on my home server to extend my learning and to save over 400GB of my bands multimedia archives. I have 3x500GB so I only get 1TB of space. It is not for a casual user and some of the features and jargon is honestly above me at this point but I'M LEARNING. I havent practiced tearing down arrays and pretending there was a failure of a disc to further my lessons, but I have a few extra HDD's around so I'm going to backup the array and play once i get time for that project because an SSD was my most recent project.
    I'll start by saying I totally understand in this economy not spending cash on a 30GB drive for the price of a 1TB drive. I also understand that even though I've been here forever I post sporadically and people take my words with a grain of salt even if I've already shown benchmarks and have nothing but glowing reviews. That being said, I dont know why more people arent jumping on this bandwagon! Theres been hardly any talk of this new tech around AD but the difference is amazing. Its perfect for the user who puts their OS on one partition and data on another (see my RAID5 above)... ONE OCZ vertex is so much faster than a regular disc that I'm thinking of buying another and using my RAID card on 2 SSD's instead of my setup described above just to see what its like. The speeds are redonkulous and really if you are worried about the stability and newness of the technology then image the partition early and often. I have enough extra space to save an image of a 30GB drive...
    I will gladly run any more tests that you people may ask to prove I'm not (erase mental image)speaking from my anus.(/erase mental image)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm having a problem with AnyDvd with my new build. I decided to give it a try and downloaded the latest version, 6558. AnyDvd says you get a 21 day Free Trial! HA! As soon as I installed it, I got a message saying the the trial period was over. This was a completely wiped HDD, and never had any version of AnyDvd installed on it before. I guess they tell you you have a 21 day trial period, but they want you to buy it, and lie to get you to download and install it. My date and time are correct, and haven't changed. The real rub is this is a 65 year old movie, hardly anyone's heard of! I've tried everything I own including the latest Fab Platinum, and nothing works! I can play the DVD fine, I just can't rip it! Any ideas?

TIA,
    Russ

9. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

This a disney movie by chance?Trial versions of Any DVD don't have all the updates anymore or the Betas.

10. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ,

There is a more recent version, 6559. Maybe it will work for you.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ChrisC586,
    no, it a 20th Century fox movie called 4 Jills in a Jeep from 1944. I've never come across anything like it! Neither the latest versions of AnyDvd and FabDVD6 work on it. I've tried older versions since I first tried it, but nothing will rip it! Not to a 5 or a 9!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    I googled it and downloaded it from slysoft, only this time it works. This is the error I get!

[​IMG]

I'm going to replace the DVD on Monday and try again. I've cleaned the DVD, but still get the same message. I'm just trying to understand why and "obscure" movie, like "4 Jills in a Jeep", that's 65 years old would be copy protected at all! LOL!! I know it's not the region problem because both my drives are set to region 1. It seems to play fine, so I don't know what the problem is. Thanks for your help though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Russ by any chance is that DVD a DL?

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    I have no idea. There's a plastic label on the hub, and I've looked all over it, but I don't see anything that would tell me. My gut feeling is that it's not DL! Did you get what I sent?

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ,
    Anydvd should be telling you that its dual layer. Although, there are other ways of knowing (under normal circumstances), like how much data is on the disc. If its 4480mb and under, chances are its single layer, though disney has surprised me a few times LOL! I suppose they can afford to waste DL discs where they're not needed. I would say that most dvds are DL. Probably AT LEAST 80-90%. In fact, im nearly surprised when I see single layer dvds. Usually only low budget movies are single layer though. Or some of the first dvds produced, in the early 90's.

Sometimes encryption will tell you its an absurd amount of data. That is to say, it fools windows into believing its say 200GB! Extremely rare however. To date, I've only seen 2 or 3. However, in region 2, I hear their encryptions are worse!

Sorry about off topic guys :(

16. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I most certainly did, thanks, I'll tell you about it when I call tomorrow, the old wifey is sleeping so I can't call and shoot the breeze now, my fevers are finally down, it's been a rough several weeks and my scar swelling is down also, that heavy anti-biotic really helped I was so glad I didn't wind up back in the hospital I had cellulits on my scar is what caused the redness and swelling which is also a major cause of joint replacement infections, but all seams clear now, and I'm finnaly able to sit a little longer on my PC, it's a little rough plus you can't sit to long on a 90 degree angle after a hip relepacement.

First I was kinda suprised you were not able to get a clean download with anydvd with the 21 day trial, usually that never happens, I don't know how slysoft works now after this Jan.1st when they gave notice about many changes maybe that had something to do with it, I know before than Iv'e never heard about troubles downloaded the trial version, I would try again or maybe you can download a trial thru AD's site, either way if you can't get a copy made of the movie let me know I have 4 Jills I can send it pronto if you wish. And last, if you still have trouble getting the 21 day frebbie you can write to slysoft about it, I always was able to get quick responce from thier support, I know they would help you get the trial cause most people that get it usually wind up buying it so it would be kinda stupid not to help you.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    I think it's the DVD itself. I think it's a bit much to expect everything to fail to rip it. I tried the latest version, 6559 of anydvd, and the latest version, 6.0.1.0 of Fab Platinum. Both say that it's failing to read the disk. I'm 100% positive that the Region Code isn't the problem, so I think it's a bad disk. It does have some spots on it that are suspect! LOL!! The Anydvd 6558 was a beta, and I've been advised that the beta doesn't give me everything the non-beta 6559 does. I had no trouble with it at all!

Russ

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    It never finishes reading the DVD, so there's no information at all on the disk to be had! DVD Shrink won't even open it! It's also 7.819GB in size. It's an almost 3 hour movie! I only chose it because I knew it was difficult and long and I wanted to compare it!

Russ

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

7GB, thats DL

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah I agree. A 7GB movie is definitely on a dual layer DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.