1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Either AnyDVD is right with its messages or the Disc has a physical flaw which is more likely. Get another copy.

Regarding whether it is a dual layer or not, almost all recent releases are on type 9 Discs. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to back it up to a dual layer. If it has multiple sound tracks then removing them will decrease the size considerably, and if it has a lot of unwanted extras removing those will reduce it even further. Use DVD Shrink to scan the movie, choose re-author, drag the main movie file into the left panel (window), and then uncheck all the unwanted sound tracks and to see what the compression percentage is. I have never seen a movie in the two hour range that can't be backed up to a single layer with movie only.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Are you guys at all familiar with i7 overclocking? I got a PC here, and I was wondering if my settings are ok:

CPU Multi: 20x
    QPI link speed: 36x
    Uncore: 20x
    Mem. Multi: 10x
    Base Clock: 160
    Core clock: 3.20GHz
    Vcore: 1.203V
    Mem. Voltage: 1.500
    Mem. speed: 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 timings

Running prime95 right now, all is good so far, temps avg 60C using prime95 small ffts. Anything else you guys think I can do to improve?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    This is "Since You Went Away"! The movie itself is 2h:52m. There's only one sound track and the only extras there are, are Spanish and French sub-titles. 7.67GB! That's the size of the rip!

[​IMG]

Kind of a long move for 1944! LOL!!

I sent "Four Jills in a Jeep" back for replacement. I should have it Tuesday.

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Im seeing that movie as being 89 min. Is it possible that your dvd has both Fullscreen and widescreen versions on the same disc? If thats true, you may not need to compress at all. Remove the fullscreen, since widescreen is now the standard and all is good LOL!
    Four Jills In A Jeep

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I don't know how you are seeing 89 minutes. It's 172 minutes. You can't see it if I sent the open folder, but there are 7 99MB segments and one about 60MB. This movie is 65 years old. There is no widescreen version. It's a 4:3 film. The only thing that you could possibly remove is the sub titles, and they are omly 27MB. The audio is only 248MB! There are no extras or special features I should have sent this one before. BTW, DVD Shrink reads it as 2h:57m, or 177m! The size of the file is on the left! It requires 54.7% Compression with DVD Shrink. Excellent quality too!

[​IMG]

Like I said, it's huge!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I think there's a little confusion here, Since You Went Away is 177 min. 4 Jills in a Jeep is 89 Min. I know I have both, each one has a little extra's not to much plus both are full screen does not come in wide screen.

I know most are youngen's on this site, don't think many even know about these movies or actors, Russ knows all of them as well as I do, I personaly knew and enjoy Martha Ray, she visited Vietnam often to entertain the troops, we even presented her with an honorary Green Beret as well as a Mountain Yard Bracelet, to much to explain what that means so won't go there, but she and John Wayne were the only non-military personel to ever get one, she was a riot, with a heart of gold, she didn't just visit, she stayed with us for day's at a time on every visit, you think guys could curse, you have no idea. I know it's off topic but never to late to learn a little history, it's an honor for me to even mention her name.

Back to topic, it's also possible that Russ might have a version that carries two movies on one disc that some editions do come with, a lot of the oldies do come like that at times, I own some versions of the oldies that came that way but not in these two movies, not my version anyway. Hope that solved some questions.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

would adding more memory help with encoding times? or is it a CPU thing with encodeing?

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ram is the Cpu's short term memory. It uses ram a great deal(Depending on programming and how much you have), due to Hdd's being incredibly slow by comparison. I would say quicker ram(lower latency), would/might help, but the gains would more than likely be trivial.

The above is speaking primarily from an educated guess, Logic LOL!

10. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Additional memory can help if there is over abundance of paging to the HDD. In XP bring up Task Manager and select Performance, and look at your available memory while encoding.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Your gonna love this one Russ.

I went over to my brothers house today, to clone his HDD to a brand new HDD, and the Mobo wouldn't post. After removing a stick of ram, resetting the Cmos, cussing up a storm, checking literally all connections, and no post...my brother says, "yah, its done this before". And im thinking WTF LOL! I lightly tapped on the southbridge, the Cpu heat sink, the Vga connection, and it finally posted. This happened 3 times. And in every case, tapping on the Mobo components revived it. I also noticed that at least one sata connection/port is looser than it should be.

There is nothing wrong with the PSU. It would be a huge coincidence, to be super in one computer, and then fry, when put in another computer. Im wondering if its a defective board, given how erratic its been. WONDERFUL! When it doesnt post, all the fans run. Any thoughts on this Russ, or anyone?

This is the board im working with
    K9N2GM-FIH

If the indicated sata ports were kind of loose, could that prevent post? One things for sure, im not gonna use them, if that could cause data corruption! And I believe MSI is gonna hear from me :(
    [​IMG]

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Could be a bad ground, are all the standoffs in correctly?

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I installed the Mobo myself, I seriously doubt that they're loose. Good thought though. Something like that is VERY serious during install. I would have made ABSOLUTELY certain, that they were proper.

When it does run, it lags really bad. Its about to finish cloning here really soon. I thought that the HDD was causing the bottleneck given the Hdd led indicator, and how its behaved at times. But it actually could be something electrical, or relating to the mobo, Southbridge perhaps. *Cringe*

Not sure if it relates, but the Power on indicator has never worked. And im fairly certain that the Led connections are hooked up proper.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

maybe the TIM is BS, or the connection between the SB and the heasink is loose, so its over heating?

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Could the southbridge be that Picky?

Given the signals that run through it, I suppose so ehh. One things for sure, if the board goes back, I wont take an identical board back! Very shoddy design! The Vga port is VERY flimsy, and others have had similar issues with the board. Obviously one of Msi's bargain bin boards!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It would POST if it was too hot, it just wouldn't stay running or stable for very long. Most likely thing to happen would be it would hang in the BIOS settings page, or when loading Windows.
    It could of course just be a faulty southbridge.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Edited last post

Im betting thats the case then. Im noticing about half the bandwidth during the clone process. Given its previous lag in windows, im now leaning on the southbridge. WONDERFUL! I swear, my brothers got all the luck. First his Dell, now his MSI!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never had any problems with cheap MSI motherboards until about 5 or 6 years down the line. They're usually pretty solid.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

yah... my MSI K9N6SGM-V has certainly been the apple of my eye since its birth LOL! Which is basically only a few steps down from my brothers board. Different socket, lesser OBG model, fewer sata ports, and thats pretty much it. Either him or his house is hexxed LOL!

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey russ, or anyone

In relation to the last question, is it possible to TEST the southbridge for errors? If so, what utility is best for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.