1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds plausible.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Exactly. Full 24 hours Orthos stable in XP, but Vista and 7 bluescreen sitting on the desktop. Vista IS worse about it than 7 though.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think im gonna shy away from OBG boards in the future. Unless they're for customers/people that don't require a gaming machine.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well there's really nothing wrong with OBG in practice. I have a board with OBG and it OCs nicely and performs exceptionally well.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So onboard graphics isn't always the case, when it comes to hitting an OC wall...limitation? Hmmm, I guess I wont know for a while. Replacing my PSU is just not a priority right now. It sounds like your DFI may have a great deal more settings in its bios. Perhaps that has something to do with it eh.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Right. Integrated graphics may hinder you slightly but you'd be far more likely to be hitting the limit of the chip. Have you tried going any higher with your 940? What voltage are you using? Have you tried OCing using the multiplier only, leaving the FSB alone? 3.5GHz is a low OC. I've seen them go higher on 780G boards.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Probably a bad bin then. Ive tried multiple ways. 1.475 is the highest Ive gotten the Vcore. And yes, I tried ONLY the multi to no avail. The only way to know for sure, is to put it in another board. Currently, thats out of the question. Perhaps I can talk my brother into getting a similar board(AM2+), with OC potential. He should be in the market REAL SOON! And im not going MSI for a while. They let me down. They're grounded LOL! No offense MSI, I have another of your boards and its good. But the bad board really angers me. :D

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    It can happen. Look at what I went through with this last build. In retrospect though, there was probably nothing wrong with the first one at all. I just never considered that there could be a problem with the brand new video panel in my monitor. In fact, I was sort of dumb about it as I discounted the possibility of a monitor problem because it had just been rebuilt. Then I got a very early UD4H, and it had a problem with the SB chip, which compounded the problems, what with 2 major hardware problems. It left me in a position where I had no idea of what was wrong because I was getting different problems at different times. I did the same thing you did with your first GigaByte and wound up replacing everything, not knowing that the 2nd board had a chipset problem. I didn't actually have the memory replaced as I took the memory out of Oxi and still had the same problems, and my memory had no problems in the other machine, yet like you I was getting all sorts of memory errors. By that time the Chipset problem had damaged the CPU, so it became a vicious cycle. How I remained so calm through it, I'll never know! I think that it was because there was no competition, as most here didn't want an AMD to begin with. Even with Estuansis and Omegaman7 building AMDs, we always try to help one another to get the best results. There's no "in your face" attitude! Even with the problems I did have, nobody rubbed it in!

Like me, your first GigaByte MB was more than likely your own fault, when you pulled a Shaff (LOL!), and cranked it up to 4GHz and hurt the CPU! LOL!! Like me, you won't be doing that again, either! LOL!! Also like me, your first one was more than likely not the MB, which would have meant, had you replaced your CPU and I replaced my monitor, there probably would have been no problem to begin with with both our first motherboards, so had either of us known that, there would have been no reason to replace either of our motherboards and we never would have had all the headaches with the one that followed to begin with! LOL!! We live, we learn!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Anytime you can make things run cooler inside a PC, it's a good thing! Anything electronic will benefit from running cooler. After running Linpack for a couple of hours, my Dominators (which have rather tall heat spreders) are barely warm to the touch. When it comes to electronics, cooler is better, always!

Russ

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Integrated graphics as implemented on my DS4H hinders nothing. When it's turned off, it's off! It has no bearing on the overclock at all! Mine doesn't overclock one bit better on the 790FX without the Integrated graphics. It's been tried with my CPU on a number of motherboards! It still runs out of steam at 3.2GHz. It will run 3.3GHz and even pass linpack at 1.522v, but the computer will reset in the middle of DVDRB/CCE while encoding!

Russ

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well as I correctly remember it was only ever an issue when the OBG is enabled. The HD3200 and HD3400 graphics chips are actually dedicated chips and integrated only to the point of being on the same PCB. Not only does this mean better performance, it means even boards with integrated graphics can still have them effectively gone! This is why the 780G is my current favorite budget chipset. It OCs and performs just like 790, but it costs less. The only differences are the lack of ACC and heavy power management.

It even has 16x/4x PCI-E slots that can do 8x/8x Crossfire!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think it's actually 8x/4x if I remember rightly.

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Nope the first slot works independently as a 16x slot and the second slot works independently as a 4x slot. When you do Crossfire it goes 8x/8x. I tried it with my 4870s and I'm fairly sure that's how it worked as both are full sized slots. The performance benefits from Crossfire were certainly there.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, interesting, maybe that is how it works. Of course, I didn't see that much loss from an X2 in an 8x slot, so maybe a 4870 in a 4x slot isn't too huge and issue with PCIe 2.0 either...

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I never thought that slot bandwidth was that big an issue. The effect of dual cards is still there. Testing in my 780G board was maybe ~10% slower than my 790FX board. Sometimes worse than 10%, sometimes matching the 790FX. But it was ALWAYS still way faster than one card even in the worst spots. I only went for the full 16x/16x because it was just the proper thing to do for 4870s. But if you were to have say a 780G board and an HD4850, by all means get another one and do Crossfire. It's still worth it.

EDIT:

Haha got a new job. Take THAT crappy economy! 1 4m teh 1337 h4><0r of jobs!!111one1111!!!!eleven111!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  16. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Must say even though most of the things you guys talk about are still over my head, but the PC that Russ helped with my first build with the Gigabyte board, of course I built it for my kids, it's downstairs, it still runs fast as hell, runs night and day and still to my astonishment how it runs so cool, everytime I go downstairs to clean everything out cause the kids are to lazy how cool it runs, I touch all sides and never feel any heat what so ever and how quiet, and yes the fans are running, if it wasn't for the blue light on you would not know it was even running.

Thank the bearded guy upstairs and Russ's help on the choices that I never ran into the kind of problems I hear, I would be so frustrated and lost, I couldn't be happier with this build, My only complaint is sometimes when I do go downstairs it remeinds me on how slow my HP is when one time I really thought it was fast.

The moral of the story, never buy one, build your own.

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha that differs from person to person. I have a few friends that would be better off just buying one.

Especially one idiot that just bought a Cooler Master HAF 932 then put an ancient almost OOP AM2 board in it with a stock 6000+ and a GTX260. Says he spent $2000 on that PC and I call bullcrap. I don't think he knows how well versed I am with PCs because he tried to BS me about half the build. Uh, buddy, I've built a $2000 PC. Yours is not.

And then another friend who doesn't give a crap about wire management. Big bees nest of wires all over the case. And then he's wondering why his OC'd 940BE is burning up the multiple 780G boards he's bought...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You've got no idea. My friends are relatively tech-literate, or if not, they're not thick. They ask before they do. people I've met on aD though, a lot of them defy belief.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My friends are all tech retarded. They just waste money till they find the combo of parts that won't catch fire. Literally... Then there's the few who actually listen to my advice and they're like OMG my computer is sweet now.

Seriously the idiot with the 940, my 7750BE build is noticeably faster than it, doesn't crash period(he says it's because of Windows), and runs infinitely cooler. It's sad to see such a sweet CPU in the hands of somebody who doesn't even know how to properly take care it. I mean he doesn't even do proper daily maintenance. I ran CCleaner on it after emptying his recycle bin and it deleted 35GB worth of stuff........ Then I defragged it and he was like did you overclock my processor?

I know a few people who didn't take my advice and will soon be having a bonfire in their rooms. And I couldn't care less. In fact, I want to see it burn. Call me cynical or whatever but I have other friends who are total n00bs with hardware and take way better care of their PC. Because they listen to my advice.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed. It saddens me to see expensive hardware go to waste because people are idiots. Or expensive hardware rendered useless by poor choice of other hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.