1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@LOCOENG

Good Luck with your new purchase on the motherboard;)

me myself is about time to remodel the centurion 590 case with 3 new items...I picked out and well overdue to install...I'm getting a new paint done inside the case also after I strip all the hold down clamps off and mask it off...I wanna try some metal flakes with a
    charcoal gray...I know a few guys in the paint industry that work at body shops can hook me up with a sample...lol:)

the first of the 3 i got( Ordered) tonite was: 160gb Caviar RE2
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136200
    i perfer my OS on a smaller drive that others reason bein defag,virus scan time:)

here's the other 2 items picked out that going in the 590 case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161245
    waiting to 06/29/2009 to order
    last but not lease the Cooler Master PS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171037
    my old ocz (Gone Sold)$50 bucks
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

here's the reasted parts tore down

[​IMG]
    empty wait fans are still in there...lol
    [​IMG]
    covered up and back in box

here's my part time work station now until the T-Power I45 is back together:)I'm gonna hold the setting here cause..I already know what Old E6750 will Oc to on different memory...I've had at 3.8 what's the need to do it again at max volts of 1.5v it was with Corsair Dominator 2x1 me and cincy both had and took back to micro center under certain reasons..I can't remember
    [​IMG]

all Yea HAPPY FATHER DAY to ALL you Dads out there :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2009
  2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Looks good to me. I've already hacked up my Centurion and added custom paint and whatnot. They are fairly tolerant of modifications. The fact that they are such basic cases makes them easy to tailor to your needs :)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    I was looking at your setup for the E6750. You do know that if you have 1066 memory in it, setting the fsb to 444MHz so the CPU runs at 3.552MHz will have the memory running right at 1066 don't you?

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Russ this is what is on the board now running
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
    got it running loose at fsb:dram 1:1 5-6-6-20 at 425 freq a stick
    it's ok this is just a standby system it's going back in the closet once i rebuild the 590 to collect dust...lol thanks for the hint...I'm just using it for recoding and encoding and dvd rebuilding and burning with it alittle slower than my E8400 t-power hookup but it will have to work for now at 3.4 is the highest I'm gonna work it;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill,
    I had a feeling you had 800 memory in it. With 2x2GB of 1066 Dominators in it at 3.55GHz it pretty much matches the E8400 in Encode times. It's a shame you don't have some 1066 memory as 3.55GHz is a pretty ideal speed for 24/7 use.

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Makes sense to me. I could get my E6750 24/7 stable at only 3.4GHz. Up to 3.8 if I really pushed the voltage. DDR2 1066 should manage a bit higher...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Yeah, the 800MHz memory really cripples it! You have to run it so slow and at such high timings, the Bandwidth really sucks, while the 1066 running at 1066, 5-5-5-15 gives about a 6000MB/s bandwidth. I would like to see one run with 1333 memory! Bet that puppy would run! LOL!!

Russ

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well I've always used 4-4-3-10 or 4-4-4-12 memory so I'm not sure the overall bandwidth would be much different from mine. I wish I would've kept the screenshots from benching my E6750 now. I was certainly a fast chip either way. 3.4GHz impressed me in a lot of games and benches.

LOL I'd like to mention that I'm fairly drunk now. So forgive me if I go off into nonsense, lol.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL estuansis. :) :) :) DITTO!

Ive got a bit of a question in the AMD thread if you please :D

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Apparently posted there already so I hope I gave a good answer. Half a bottle of vodka has me done for the night :p

Cheers!

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Russ a matter of fact...I do got some of this laying around in the drawer...Kingston HyperX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134218

with the memory in there now it was at 3.5ghz when..I first got the memory a year ago with 2x2GB of 1066 Dominators i had it at 3.80GHz
    b4 the Dominators could'en get me to 4.0ghz maybe cause of the board and plus..I took it back...I was'nt impressed with it either...where..I'm at is fine until...I build the T-Power back up again plus...I like the Corsair XMS2 2GB 2x1 it's some get memory:)

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ok, here's a good question LOL! Lets say I uninstall all the main drivers on a system. Chipset, Display adapters, Network adapters, Etc. Quite literally ALL pertaining to the motherboard currently installed. And then shut it down, and install a new board. Would windows XP be ok with that kind of alteration? I get the feeling windows 7 would be pretty forgiving, but im uncertain how XP would take a drastic change like that. This is not a major system, and I suppose im just being silly. Because a couple of hours, and I could have it back up MANUALLY. But if this could work...

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never found there to be a difference either way, removing the drivers or leaving them intact. If it works it works, if not tough luck. Usually keeping the same chipset brand will work.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks man :)

I'll be trying it here friday/saturday. I'll let everyone know how it went. I have high hopes LOL! It is logically sound. Assuming of course I remove every critical driver. Other than XP, there is no other software installed that will...Miss the board LOL! I suppose the registry on the other hand, is another story.

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

When my MSI P35 board died, i just plugged in the replacement board, connected everything up and apart from XP finding a few bits and bobs, all was well. And still is as i never did get around to rebuilding Windows from scratch, no need. XP is usually very forgiving.
    Try doing that in Windows 2000, or even moving cards between slots in Windows 2000. (i only mention Windows 2000 as it used to play up merry hell for me across numerous PC's; great as long as you never touched anything but then again it used to bluescreen endlessly on it's own. Strange how XP was happy longterm with all those same machines & peripherals)

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

But was your replacement identical? Or were simply the chipsets identical?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

MSI P35 to Gigabyte P45. I've made similar replacements without incident, including Vista as well as XP.

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

What Sam said re the chipsets. I've done a few other mainboard swaps in XP over the years, same result, at worst a few prompts to install bits and pieces but no drama under XP.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well now, thats good to know. Thanks guys. :)

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Generally there's no problem. I've gone from 865P to 965P, to P35 with no problems. Just don't cross to an AMD. That may give you you blue screens. I would imagine the problem is the different hardware on the motherboard as defined in the registry. I suspect it's primarily the Northbridge, because of the on CPU memory controller. I guess it looks for the memory controller on the Northbridge, and when it doesn't find it, it blue screens.

I just installed XP-Pro SP3 as an upgrade. It's the first time I've ever been successful doing it. Once you've upgraded XP, you can't use the original CD because it's older than what is in the computer, and it gives you a message telling you that. XP will only accept a repair or upgrade if what you are putting in is newer than what's on it.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.