1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    At 3.55 with the 1066 memory running at 1066 mine would give me 35,000+ MIPS and right at 6,200+MB/s for the memory bandwidth. I'll look back through Imageshack and see if I can find them, as I posted them here.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Anyone know why newegg have stopped stocking any DVD burners? Everything's just being left to go out of stock, most manufacturers only have a few old IDE ones left, finding S-ATA ones is almost impossible - the front page consists of 2/3 out of stock items...

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah I just looked and it's the same here. Weird. I've never seen them let it go like that. Maybe they're waiting so they can introduce new models or something? I really have no clue.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not from every brand. I suspect there's been a failed import of them from a distributor in the far east.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    The answer is the economy. Manufacturers have been tightening their credit and this is the result. Where 90-120 days used to be the norm for payment, it's now down to 10-30 days. I suspect it will soon be COD with all but the very best accounts! With sales dropping, Newegg, like everyone else no longer has good cash flow, so they are trimming their product lineup down because they can no longer afford to keep as much stock on the shelves!

If someone is planning on buying anything, they better do it now, as prices will be going up. There will be sales on old stock, but as the new stuff comes in they will have to raise the price because the cost of doing business is going up.

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Trimming is one thing, not stocking any is different. Samsung and Pioneer are now the only S-ATA DVD burner providers at newegg, and Pioneer only have one model left in stock. Most of the IDE ones are fast disappearing as well. It doesn't seem to have happened with many other components...

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Economics is very much a trickle down thing, so it all depends on how a particular manufacturer is doing financially. If it goes on long enough, we may well see a number of companies that make excellent products go out of business, or consolidate and merge with another company. You can bet your a$$ that big business is going to force a lot of smaller companies to merge with them or vanish, regardless of how good their products are.

It's just like the food industry here in America. Half a dozen or so companies have taken over most the old time companies and make about 80% of all the food we eat. That why food here sucks! You can't buy decent cold cuts any more because all the good companies were bought out by the big boys and trade on the product name and sell crap instead. All you get these days is generic Shite! If you are lucky like say Fred, who lives in an area of the country that has a lot of ethnic places to buy homemade foods like Italian Sausage, Cheeses and other things that have been made by hand for years. Imported items as well, like various Salamis, Knockwurst, Mortadella and so on. If you are unfortunate to live in an economically depressed area, the situation is even worse, as all the supermarkets carry is the cheapest crap they can find to sell! They know that people have to eat and take every advantage of it!

I suspect when it's all over, our Government will control everything that big business doesn't. They keep taking from the poor, while doing nothing to the rich. as I pointed out the other day, as of July 12, there will no longer be Medicare in the state of California! The Government will take over the Healthcare system, and it will be up to them who lives or dies. The rich will survive, while the poor die! Millions of children in the US go hungry every day, while the rich sit in their Multi-Million dollar Mansions and eat Imported caviar and Steak! In the end there will still be a revolution, and people will be killing each other for food! It's already begun in some places in the US! The people with the money will control everything, and dictate how everyone else will live, or should I say exist! Right now some people are pointing their finger at President Obama, while all the time they know that it's not his fault. As long as we live in a society where people are paid for their failures with huge bonuses for upper managment and CEOs from companies that are bankrupt, it will continue to get worse! As long as they are allowed to make money without any product involved, things will continue to go downhill! Very sad, but true! I consider myself lucky that I won't be around to see it all happen. Remember my words when it does!

Russ

8. arklogic

arklogic Member

is a corsair 750w power supply enough to run two gtx 275 in sli and a i7 920 (perhaps oced)?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's tight if overclocking. You should really be buying the 850W version. Better yet get an 850W Zalman. Modular, silent and supremely powerful.

Hear about the Royal Bank of Scotland? It happens over here too, big time. Ultimately we don't have to worry about healthcare (yet, when the political parties switch hands which undoubtedly they will next election, nobody has any faith at all in Gordon Brown it seems), and I wouldn't say it's got to the stage where any significant people are forced into buying the cheapest food to survive, people are being laid off left right and centre, especially in local government where my mum works. It's looking pretty shaky for her job at the moment if the whole facility is privatised.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Whatever happens in the UK, I just hope you guys do not lose your healthcare the way it is, your's is superior to ours, even if it was crappy it still would be superior cause many people here have none, suck on that lollypop for a while, having none is not fun, it's outright dangerous, here the rich laugh at your healthcare, they call it social medicine, always scaring people you need to wait 6 months to see a doctor.

What a load of crap, I have been in the UK twice the past two years, my Uncle is 86, he never waited for anything kind of medical treatment, even when we had to take him to the hospital twice when I was there, I was shocked how fast he received help, and my hospital near me is not a flimsy one, it's top notch and your butt is gonna wait for treatment, and if you don't have the right medical cards, guess what, your s*%t out of luck, and if you none, pray, cause unless you are an emergency patient, meaning dying, bye your out of there.

Bottom line, sure the rich want us to believe your system stinks, how else would they rip us off. Sorry for the off topic it's just a touchy subject with me, and I hate bum raps they give out with the system you guys have.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Off topic, but yes, our healthcare system is a little on the average side, but for being included in taxes I think it's alright. Add to this the fact that it's only really overburdened because of all the drunks, smokers and the stupid.

12. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

FredBun,

Besides being OT, you have no idea what you are talking about, and on this thread I am not going to get into that subject (and you shouldn't either, because it is POLITICAL, and against the rules), so STFU.

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no politics.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sytyguy why is is when u make an appearance its not to further anything about the thread, just to put hate on someone? why do you always come with the personal attacks? why not contribute to these threads?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've passively ignored your crap at aD for a while now sytyguy, but I'm not standing by while you say that. This is unashamedly off-topic, and normally I wouldn't mind someone calling us out, but literally ALL you do at afterdawn is kiss the moderators' backsides and pick on those who don't abide by the rules. You don't post anything useful here at all. if you don't like a post, silently report it to the mods. Personal attacks like that are shameful.

Also, why fredbun? Me and Russ are just as much to blame, if anything Russ is since he brought us onto politics in the first place, we just continued it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

agreed as should have been reported so as not to have a flamewar.

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Quote: by sty: Besides being OT, you have no idea what you are talking about, and on this thread I am not going to get into that subject (and you shouldn't either, because it is POLITICAL, and against the rules), so STFU.

I said I was sorry for being off topic before I finished typing, even though you dont know your ass from the hole in the ground about this subject you do have your right to your opinion, you blasted me all over the place and it is your right to disagree and I had no quams about it, but to tell me to STFU, now thats crossing the line., lucky for both of us were not in a public place facing each other, and I know now I'm crossing the line, so I end it here and now, and again I apologize for the off topic.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

DDP,
    Sorry! I let that get away from me a bit. I do apologize to anyone I may have offended. I love my Country, and I guess it shows! It won't happen again!

Sincerely,
    Russ

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Hey guys sorry this is the wrong thread but this PC is so slow and I happened to have a bookmark here on my flash drive. I'm posting from work and this page took all of 5 minutes to load so sorry. The PCs suck and they won't do a reformat or clean them up so bear with me.

We have an ASUS A8N-SLI here with random restart issues. Boots fine, BIOS flash and it's fine. Installed into different cases. Different CPU, PSU and memory. Every time it reboots randomly maybe 30 minutes in. I figured overheating. Maybe remove the heatsinks and reapply paste? Any input would be welcome.

Sam you had an A8N SLI. What happened with yours and how did you find out what was wrong?

Currently using it with:

Socket 939 X2 4200+
    2 x 1GB Corsair XMS DDR 400
    XFX 9600GT
    Antec EA380

Everything else checks out. Please help.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Total chipset failure 5 months or so in. Firstly the onboard NIC vanished, a month later it stopped accepting PCI network cards. A few days after that, the USB voltage dropped from 5V down to about 2V. At that point I stopped using the board as it was useless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.