1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Chipset fan on mine went, it was spinning to fast.ASUS replaced free of charge. Chris

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well the board is all there. Everything detects properly. Benches stable but still random shut downs. Maybe heat related? I dunno, the chipset fan works fine. Just got home so tomorrow I'll probably be reseating all the sinks on the board with some ceramique. Possibly going to get a re-cap. Boss doesn't want to toss it so I'll see what can be done.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

There are so many different things that can happen to cause that problem, it's not funny. CPU, CPU voltage, Memory, Memory voltage, timings and problems in the hardware itself. Generally I've found that when overclocking, down the road as the components age you sooner or later have to reduce the overclock a bit. With my old E6750 it was the CPU itself that caused the problems. I kept having to add a bit of voltage ever month or so. When I RMA'd the CPU, the new one overclocked higher and it runs good enough that I sold it overclocked to 3.55GHz without worries. It will run at 3.8, and I might have run it that fast, but 3.55GHz is pretty ideal with 1066 memory, and it's not at all twitchy! If you start finding corrupted files, it's generally the CPU itself causing the problem.

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check the capacitors on the motherboard that they are flat not domed or leaking brown stuff. look in the bios to see what the voltages show as maybe psu problem?

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey guys got a question. kinda little off topic but it deals with installing a hdd and movieing one..lol i looked at the space on the 500gb hdd i have my OS on i dont store anything on it so it should have 400gb+ available. it shows as 246gb of used space??? so i went searching and found in the AVG8 folder there are sub folders. do biggie. but one named DUMP has the 246gb of stuff in it.. it is all dmp.file and exh.file can these be deleted or is it something i shouldnt mess with? i was wanting to clone this drive onto a 160gb wd sata drive but with 246gb of used space it wont fit... is it ik to clear this stuff out?

here is a screan shot of the file.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/dumpfile.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    I have to suspect that it has something to do with the size of the partition. I have a fairly small boot drive, only about 37GB, and I still have 25GB of it left after months of use. I'm not at all familiar with that file extension though, but I would think if I had anything like that my small boot partition would be chock full. I also don't let it scan my drives daily, which could also have something to do with it too! I've used both the free version as well as the pay, full Suite, but I've never had a drive that large either, so I don't really know.

How many times have you installed AVG? And if multiple times did you install it over itself or remove it first before you installed it again. I would think multiple installs without removing the old one first could account for some of that.

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...i'll tell you what. That particular folder is virtually empty on my OS.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yes Russ i have installed it a couple times without a clean sweep of the older files and such..

OM7 i hear ya.
    so it be safe to say to delete them.. going to work now i wait until tonight to do so. maybe some more response will help also...

thanks guys

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Dump files are usually reported system error files that can build over time. It should be safe to delete them.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Same here across all my machines

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I had a thought about that. Still to green LOL! Guess im just not confident enough yet.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

and that is what they were from.. all the BSOD's i got when i had the memory problems a few weeks back. i just deleted them all and all is well. just gained 246gb back..lol

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    We could always paint you blue and ship you to the Dodgers! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL!!! :D I guess im just afraid of looking stupid ;)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Well then we could paint your shoes white and ship you to Oakland! LOL!!

Just funnin you,
    Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow! Spendy little intel micro Atx board! Yes, im looking at the intel side of things for once LOL! I promised myself, the next build I work on, would be an intel. I gotta give them at least one more shot. Everybody deserves at least 2 chances!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130227
    Sure is looking like an i7 build is gonna be fairly spendy! Well...I am a few months out, on deciding on something :D No doubt i7 will drop at least a little. But who knows what will happen with the economy in that time. Not really into politics/economy. I suppose this thread isn't either LOL!

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I just heard something on the radio on Saturday where i7 production is being switched to a server chip based on i7. I haven't heard anything to confirm it yet, but it's a reasonable possibility because Intel has discussed doing just that with i7. I also think that the switch to another different socket for i5 even helps doom i7 even more, by eliminating an upgrade path to the i7 from i5 without having to change platforms, yet again. Perhaps in a different economy it would work, but right now to me, it's the wrong move at the wrong time. Nothing more than my opinion of course, but it is based on the facts of what's going on right now and the effects it's been having on everything in our everyday lives. Believe me when I say that I hope that I am wrong, but I just don't think so!

Russ

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i7 will become the server grade/ultimate enthusiast choice, where as i5 should be more main stream/ gamer versions.

i.e 6 core will hit i7, about 6 months to a year if not longer before i5 and it has full dual 16x PCIE2.0 slots and 16/16/8 for tri sli, and with NF200 full Tri SLI.

where as P55 only has tri SLI with the NF200, and 8/8 dual card configuration

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I hear what you are saying, and I hope the economy has come around some by then, but all we can do is wait and see. There's just no precedent for what is going on with the world's economy right now, so there's no model to follow. 1929 was completely different and look what happened to the world then, and look at how long things took to recover! I do know this! Recovery is a long way off, and things are going to get much worse, before they get better. It took time for the world to get in the shape it's in and it's going to take a lot of time to repair all the damage that has been done to get things back on an even keel.

Personally I believe Nostradamus. I think the end is getting close. Man is destroying himself, and the world with him. I don't think I will be around to see what happens, but I do sympathize with the people who I'll leave behind. So much is changing in the world, and not just with the people. It's no longer just about money. Climate changes and Weather pattern changes, caused by the shift in Ocean currents due to the Salinity of the ocean water that's being diluted by the melting of fresh water into the oceans by rapidly vanishing glaciers that have existed for thousands of years.

California has been waiting for "the big one" since long before the great San Fransisco Earthquake. Things are happening here right now that defy explanation! About a month and a half ago, about 90 miles from here, the Saltin Sea suddenly had a rise in temperature of 2 degrees in one day. That doesn't sound like very much, but it can only mean one thing! The earth is getting hotter closer to the surface, and that means magma is pushing closer to the surface, and the pressures within the earth are building up, and it's only a matter of time before the plates finally let go. We are starting to see an upheaval, like what created the great mountain ranges of the world. I have a genuine Civil War Cannonball that's 143 years old that Russell found sticking up out of the ground in plain sight! It wasn't there a few days before he pried it out of the ground. Someone would have seen it if it was. Earthquakes are increasing in number and strength, volcanoes are becoming active all the way up the Pacific coast from the South America to Alaska, and that's only here. Much the same can be said for Europe, Asia and Australia as well. I could be wrong, but I think that in a few years, computers will have taken a back seat to the things that are going on around us. No one knows when, but they do know there's no if about it. The big one will happen, and there's nothing that can be done to stop it. Where man will go from there is a total unknown!

A little off topic, but it will ultimately have an effect on all of us computer enthusiasts!

Russ

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

maybe im missing part of the convo here. but there is way more than those 2 with sata interface.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&N=2010100005 1036506653 1038406820&name=SATA

7 different manufacture's to choose from but 1 i wouldnt recomend to my worse enemy..lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.