1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The reason I vibration mounted my drives in the past is due to the vibration of the whole assembly itself while spinning. Seek noise is also improved by this technique, but the hum that is generated by the vibrations passing through a HDD into the case is the #1 cause of suspending drives. AAM is still used today to lessen the impact of seek noise on drives, and it does actually help noise to a minimal extent. Trouble is, it also of course blunts performance.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha true. Most of my drive noise is from vibrations in the case. I will be putting in some rubber grommets soon in all of my cases. Should help deaden the noise a bit.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ftr, shaff was suspended permanently.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Nope, not intentionally; as ddp posted before, it was only a 2day suspension, for some reason it stays permanent, must be due to previous bans. I'll have to PM an Admin to free him from limbo, it'll be a bug in the banning code. Unfortunately i have no concrete proof as i haven't been banned once in 4 years :p

"from 26 Jun, 2009 to 28 Jun, 2009, reason:
    Completely and utterly incoherent despite being asked to make sense."

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, well that's hardly surprising. I think I earned a 1-week suspension once a couple of years back and that was about it.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    If it vibrates spinning, it goes back! I don't care if I have to send it back 10 times. If it vibrates spinning I don't want it! Gina has a Seagate 320 that she should have replaced before the warranty expired, like 4 years sgo! LOL!! It Buzzes! That's why I won't use anything over a 250! Both my 160 and my 250 are whisper quiet since I switched to the 160 as the boot drive. Applying a little logic to having a noisy drive and I would say that it will fail much sooner than a quiet drive. Noise while just spinning, means vibration. Something is out of balance, which can't be good for the bearings, especially on startup! There's nothing else that would make it vibrate!

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You've clearly never owned a Seagate 7200.10 or any Samsung drive then... All drives vibrate to a certain extent, those are the worst offenders. The quietest drives of all are the 5400rpm eco drives, which are only available in 500GB+ size and contrary to popular belief, are actually not as slow as you might think. I compared one loading the game GRiD to my HD753LJ, and the Samsung was only about 0.2 seconds faster than the WD10EADS, for a total loading time of 10 seconds ish.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

All of my Seagates are 7200.11 or 7200.12. And they ARE whisper quiet. No noticeable vibration and no mechanical noise to speak of. I have to put my ear right up to them and listen carefully to pick up any sounds. Same with my Samsung HD501LJ. Whisper quiet and quite fast.

I have a few friends using 7200.10 drives complaining about noise though. One idiot sent his back in like 10 times because it was "broken". He wouldn't listen when I tried to explain that those drives were just that noisy! I ended up scoring it from him for $30 and I've been using it for almost a year problem-free. It's just kinda noisy so I only use it as a storage drive.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Perhaps it's only with larger drives then, because as it happens there's a Seagate 7200.10 250GB in Oxi at the moment, and it's not noisy at all! All the drives we have are difficult to tell if they are even running holding one in your hand, or without putting your ear right up against them! If a drive is noisy, I don't want it! Noise and vibration while spinning mean excessive wear!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 7200.11 was the first drive where Seagate began to rectify the noise issues, they still weren't great.

The 7200.9 Seagate I owned, ancient as it was (well, summer 2006) had relatively low vibration which was nice. However, it was the noisiest seeking drive I have ever owned, louder than a WD Raptor, louder than a 13GB ATA-66 Seagate Medalist, the works. It also had a very harsh edge to the noise it produced, it sounded more like someone scratching a bit of plastic. The drive had no faults as it worked solidly for its two year life and still works fine to this day.
    The 7200.12 is the new, and first truly quiet Seagate. It still scores poorly for vibration, but seek noise is now in the 'very good' category. Unfortunately, the reliability issues with this drive removed it permanently from my recommended buys list. The 750GB 7200.10s of which my friend had eighteen, all still work after two years. Impressive stuff, but they are noisy as hell (though not as bad as the 250), and randomly make a pinging noise whenever the drive is accessed - a known flaw with the drives posted on several problems, though again, no impact on reliability.
    The HD501LJ and its smaller counterpart the HD400LJ are also drives I have experienced, and are very quiet at idle producing only a thin hiss. Contrastingly the F1 drives develop 1.5Khz bearing whine after a few weeks of use which place them at 'average' for noise. Sharing the poor vibration of the Seagates, they're also in the mediocre noise category. Whilst having a slightly shaky start back in 2006, the WD5000AAKS is by far the best drive for noise in that category, and is the only one of the drives mentioned still sold today pretty much the same it was at first release.
    Long story short, vibration seems to have no effect on the life of a drive, but it is well present and hard to dodge among Seagate and Samsung drives. WDs, though rarely having as soft or quiet seeks as Samsung are still acceptable (unlike Seagates) and thus score top position for noise. It is worth mentioning that anti-vibe cases like the P182 completely nullify the noise drawbacks of the 7200.10 (500GB version). Normal cases, however, yuck.

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Hi Everybody...
    I hope everyone is doing fine...
    My House is almost done...finished the final wire wrap for stucco today...It has really come together nice...I am probably 90 days from move in..:)

My stupid neighbors are taking me back to court to challenge the Judges decision...Good Luck...
    I am sure the Judge is just going to admit he made a mistake and award them massive damages this time around...ROFL...
    Who knows maybe they will teach me a lesson...I doubt it...but maybe...}:)

Anyway...I am looking for FREE...TS to FLV converter program?..
    Any good recommendation that are FREE...I only need it to convert a couple minute of video of bands to upload to my festival web page...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What again? Oh well good luck, and congrats on getting this far :)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LP531,
    You might take a look at this.
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

I've used it and it works decent. Good to hear from you. Don't be such a stranger!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Thanks for unbanning me :D

i try, i really do with the text speak, but its very hard to change, once one is set in his ways :D

but i will try hard.

but i helped debug, so all is good :D

(PS, its now calling me a newbie, and wont let me post in succession...)

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It'll probably reset itself shortly..

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

much love creaky :)

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol, yep i see. hehe i guess im a n00b, but a newbie? hardly

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

at least you are not a newfie from newfoundland.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.